MinimServer Forum

Full Version: I feel silly asking, but, does minimserver do automatic rescans?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
And what triggers any rescans??

I feel REALLY stupid for not being able to find anything about this anywhere.
(30-03-2016 22:16)n3mmr Wrote: [ -> ]And what triggers any rescans??

They say that the only stupid question is the one that isn't asked. Smile

MinimServer doesn't have any way at present to do automatic rescans. To trigger a rescan, you can:

1) Select Rescan from the minim icon (in MinimServer or MinimWatch)

2) Click the Rescan button on the Minimserver status web page

3) Issue the 'rescan' command from the MinimServer or MinimWatch console interface

If music is playing, this will continue while the rescan takes place.
(30-03-2016 22:28)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]
(30-03-2016 22:16)n3mmr Wrote: [ -> ]And what triggers any rescans??

They say that the only stupid question is the one that isn't asked. Smile

MinimServer doesn't have any way at present to do automatic rescans. To trigger a rescan, you can:

1) Select Rescan from the minim icon (in MinimServer or MinimWatch)

2) Click the Rescan button on the Minimserver status web page

3) Issue the 'rescan' command from the MinimServer or MinimWatch console interface

If music is playing, this will continue while the rescan takes place.

Are you considering adding recurrent rescans?
I think it can be done via the named pipe interface and a cron job, in linux but internal would be universal.
(31-03-2016 07:33)n3mmr Wrote: [ -> ]Are you considering adding recurrent rescans?
I think it can be done via the named pipe interface and a cron job, in linux but internal would be universal.

You could do this with a cron job as you suggest but the rescan would lock out the library from browsing and music selection in the great majority of cases where the rescan is unnecessary.

I am thinking about making improvements in this area so that rescans can be done automatically after the contents of the library have changed and without disruptiing user activity. There are some difficult technical challenges with this and I can't give any time estimate for when it might be available.
(31-03-2016 08:50)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]
(31-03-2016 07:33)n3mmr Wrote: [ -> ]Are you considering adding recurrent rescans?

You could do this with a cron job as you suggest but the rescan would lock out the library from browsing and music selection in the great majority of cases where the rescan is unnecessary.

I am thinking about making improvements in this area so that rescans can be done automatically after the contents of the library have changed and without disruptiing user activity. There are some difficult technical challenges with this and I can't give any time estimate for when it might be available.
If database and file system can be "snapshotted" you could keep services running on the snapshot and commit the db changes outside the snapshot.

Loss of browsing is OK, actually. If temporary.
It is not a trivial thing than setting up an automatic rescan.

Because the hard question is "what does trigger the rescan"

A regular cron ? But people want to listen their content right on the spot
Upload new content ? But what triggers the end of the upload ? When I rip CDs, I hope Minimserver wil not do a rescan at each new track...
The only way to tell that upload is finished is the person uploading saying "finished"

Which means we are back to the actual situation : rescan through minimwatch.
(05-04-2016 06:38)lyapounov Wrote: [ -> ]It is not a trivial thing than setting up an automatic rescan.

Because the hard question is "what does trigger the rescan"

A regular cron ? But people want to listen their content right on the spot
Upload new content ? But what triggers the end of the upload ? When I rip CDs, I hope Minimserver wil not do a rescan at each new track...
The only way to tell that upload is finished is the person uploading saying "finished"

Which means we are back to the actual situation : rescan through minimwatch.
I agree, nothing wrong with the manual rescan system.
Rip, download an album, do some tagging, rescan whenever you want and enjoy!
Much better than the automated system that for instance Twonkey uses.
Sometimes it takes this server more than 10 minutes to rescan, quite annoying when you want enjoy your recent added music (rescan can be forced, but this takes much more effort than manual MinimServer rescan).

Peter
Good morning,

I have a similar need for automatic rescans: I plan to add Podcasts to the library; this Podcasts are managed by iTunes and are updated on a daily basis (e.g. news Podcasts).

Is there a recommended setup or configuration for MinimServer to be able to handle that setup?
(21-09-2016 05:03)steamfan Wrote: [ -> ]Good morning,

I have a similar need for automatic rescans: I plan to add Podcasts to the library; this Podcasts are managed by iTunes and are updated on a daily basis (e.g. news Podcasts).

Is there a recommended setup or configuration for MinimServer to be able to handle that setup?

You can use command scripting to initiate a rescan at a set time each day. What machine are you using to run MinimServer?
(21-09-2016 07:45)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]You can use command scripting to initiate a rescan at a set time each day. What machine are you using to run MinimServer?

I'm using a Synology DS231+
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Reference URL's