Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Melco Audiophile NAS
17-03-2015, 17:20
RE: Melco Audiophile NAS
(16-03-2015 22:59)simoncn Wrote:  
(16-03-2015 22:38)Mihaylov Wrote:  Melco NAS has no "opto-isolated Ethernet port". I.e. Melco's ethernet port isn't opto-isolated. It is usual transformer-isolated ethernet port but with light-piped LEDs outside of the port screen for elimination of pollution from LEDs.

Also I couldn't find the "low-jitter clock" on main board of Melco NAS.
See photos inside of Melco N1Z here.

I heard this from the Melco product manager. See this page.
Strange. There is nothing about "opto-isolated ethernet port" on dela or melco website too.
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl...&sandbox=1
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
18-03-2015, 23:25
(17-03-2015 17:20)Mihaylov Wrote:  Strange. There is nothing about "opto-isolated ethernet port" on dela or melco website too.

I've queried this with Melco and they will provide a definitive answer on opto-isolation soon. The N1 uses NDK's ultra-low-jitter clock, as used on the Marantz NA-11S1 (see attachment for location).

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

19-03-2015, 10:35
Beautifully engineered device !
Ethernet ports are isolated by TDK pulse transformers from ALT series
http://product.tdk.com/en/products/trans...s/catalog/
19-03-2015, 16:10
(19-03-2015 10:35)Rakija Wrote:  Beautifully engineered device !
Ethernet ports are isolated by TDK pulse transformers from ALT series
http://product.tdk.com/en/products/trans...s/catalog/

I have received confirmation from Melco that this is the device used. It is a high-quality component but not opto-isolated.
20-03-2015, 11:22 (This post was last modified: 20-03-2015 11:41 by Mihaylov.)
(18-03-2015 23:25)simoncn Wrote:  
(17-03-2015 17:20)Mihaylov Wrote:  Strange. There is nothing about "opto-isolated ethernet port" on dela or melco website too.

I've queried this with Melco and they will provide a definitive answer on opto-isolation soon. The N1 uses NDK's ultra-low-jitter clock, as used on the Marantz NA-11S1 (see attachment for location).
Great, Simon! This is true. I didn't see it earlier Wink. XO 24.0 MHz is X14 on the Melco board (see photo). It's for Universal Serial Bus 3.0 Host Controller LSI mPD720201 (IC99 on photo).

If else they replaced Twonky 7.1.1 b2 with minimserver in a firmware it would be absolutely good. Smile Because the installed Twonky doesn't show a half of covers in CP. Sad
24-03-2015, 20:45
Lot later than I had expected but tomorrow I am on my way tomorrow to pick up a loaner (with minimserver on it of course) for a home trial. Hope to give this a really good workout over up to a week with a couple of educated ears Smile

Will post findings and thoughts as they unfold hopefully Wink
25-03-2015, 18:00
First sad update. Melco safely home - just off to plug it in : - excited Smile
26-03-2015, 17:37 (This post was last modified: 26-03-2015 19:33 by Peter@57m.)
I heard one one these at Bristol HiFi show in the audioquest demo room. The guy there was using his own Klimax DS1 with the Melco N1A as the source. He was raving about it. Also had a chat with Melco at the show.

Was in the back of my mind, then starting seeing the posts on here and on Linn forum.

The went to the dealer, and you can guess the rest.

It arrived today and I'm currently listening with it as a switch connected to my network and feeding my Klimax DSM/1 from MinimServer on my QNAP. As Simon said in his original post, its clearer, blacker background, more punch... There are many ways to describe it, but its definitely better for me in my set-up.

I've been treating myself recently with upgrading my Klimax DSM to the DSM/1 after a back to back comparison at my dealer (I know Linn say its better but wanted to make sure for myself). I would say the improvement is at least as large with the Melco as that upgarde, perhaps more. And its half the price. Of course the upgrade did allow me to get my old board in a Klimax DSM Renew at a ridiculously low price. And its possible I'm only hearing that much improvement in part due to the DSM upgrade.....

Hoping to get MinimServer on the Melco as I prefer my custom indexes and I would like transcoding. Will then do a comparison of QNAP passthru vs Melco. Even if it ends up just a switch (with a backup of my music) it will be a good investment for the price.

PS: just updated firmware to V2.0 - allows you to turn off the display - yes!

Peter
QNAP 559 ProII, Melco N1ZH, MinimServer, Linn, Lumin & Kazoo
27-03-2015, 19:31
Well so far have done a comparison between twonky on Melco vs MinimServer passed thru from my QNAP which is also transcoding to wav24.
I prefer the MinimServer, however switching off transcoding makes MinimServer pass through very close to twonky on Melco.
So until I can get MinimServer on Melco and try it with transcoding I cannot really do a like for like comparison.

I'm waiting to hear from Melco who have said they can get it working for me.....

Peter
QNAP 559 ProII, Melco N1ZH, MinimServer, Linn, Lumin & Kazoo
27-03-2015, 20:29
(27-03-2015 19:31)Peter@57m Wrote:  Well so far have done a comparison between twonky on Melco vs MinimServer passed thru from my QNAP which is also transcoding to wav24.
I prefer the MinimServer, however switching off transcoding makes MinimServer pass through very close to twonky on Melco.
So until I can get MinimServer on Melco and try it with transcoding I cannot really do a like for like comparison.

This is consistent with my experience. Local playback is better and transcoding to wav24 is better.