Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which nas or home server for Minim-installation and AIFF-streaming to SuperUniti?
07-11-2013, 18:06
Which nas or home server for Minim-installation and AIFF-streaming to SuperUniti?
Hi all,

I’m currently looking for a good but not too expensive NAS-drive to reliably run MinimServer. I’ll be using 2x1TB WD green discs, preferably in RAID 1. Most of my audiofiles are in .AIFF-format and i will be streaming to a Naim SuperUniti.

As an alternative, i could construct a home server (Windows Home Server 2011) with a HP ProLiant Microserver N54L (AMD Turion II Neo N54L 2GB - on sale at a shop near me for 149 euro), but i have no experience with MinimServer on Windows Home Server 2011.

Which would be the better option for streaming with Minimserver to a Naim Superuniti? And if it's a NAS - which make and model would work best?

Best regards,
Jasper
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-11-2013, 19:50
RE: Which nas or home server for Minim-installation and AIFF-streaming to SuperUniti?
(07-11-2013 18:06)JHW13 Wrote:  Hi all,

I’m currently looking for a good but not too expensive NAS-drive to reliably run MinimServer. I’ll be using 2x1TB WD green discs, preferably in RAID 1. Most of my audiofiles are in .AIFF-format and i will be streaming to a Naim SuperUniti.

As an alternative, i could construct a home server (Windows Home Server 2011) with a HP ProLiant Microserver N54L (AMD Turion II Neo N54L 2GB - on sale at a shop near me for 149 euro), but i have no experience with MinimServer on Windows Home Server 2011.

Which would be the better option for streaming with Minimserver to a Naim Superuniti? And if it's a NAS - which make and model would work best?

Best regards,
Jasper

MinimServer doesn't (currently) run as a Windows service. I have the impression that this makes it inconvenient to run MinimServer on Windows Home Server.

WD green disks aren't a good idea for a NAS. A much better option is to use WD Red disks.

MinimServer works well on all Synology and QNAP NAS devices. It also runs on some NETGEAR devices, but not (currently) the latest range.
08-11-2013, 08:20
RE: Which nas or home server for Minim-installation and AIFF-streaming to SuperUniti?
(07-11-2013 19:50)simoncn Wrote:  
(07-11-2013 18:06)JHW13 Wrote:  Hi all,

Best regards,
Jasper

MinimServer doesn't (currently) run as a Windows service. I have the impression that this makes it inconvenient to run MinimServer on Windows Home Server.

WD green disks aren't a good idea for a NAS. A much better option is to use WD Red disks.

MinimServer works well on all Synology and QNAP NAS devices. It also runs on some NETGEAR devices, but not (currently) the latest range.

If I were in your shoes, I would get the HP ProLiant with the desired number of WD red HDD and add an ODD in order to install Vortexbox plus minimserver.

alfreddo12
08-11-2013, 22:28 (This post was last modified: 08-11-2013 22:36 by JHW13.)
Hello Simon & Alfreddo,

Thank you for your replies.

@Simon: some Qnap and Synology drives have different processors. Which of the current models will support Minimserver? I know the green drives aren't the best for a nas; they were left over from the Buffalo Linkstation Duo, but i should probably replace them with reds.

As for the PoLiant: apart from Windows, it does indeed support Linux, what do your think of Alfreddo's suggestion? (@Alfreddo: thnx!)

Thanks and best regards,
Jasper
08-11-2013, 22:41
(08-11-2013 22:28)JHW13 Wrote:  Hello Simon & Alfreddo,

Thank you for your replies.

@Simon: some Qnap and Synology drives have different processors. Which of the current models will support Minimserver? I know the green drives aren't the best for a nas; they were left over from the Buffalo Linkstation Duo, but i should probably replace them with reds.

As for the PoLiant: apart from Windows, it does indeed support Linux, what do your think of Alfreddo's suggestion? (@Alfreddo: thnx!)

Thanks and best regards,
Jasper

As I said in my previous post, MinimServer works well on all Synology and QNAP NAS devices.

It is possible to run MinimServer on Vortexbox, but this is not as well integrated or as well supported as running MinimServer on Synology or QNAP.