Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Minimwatch cannot see Minimserver
12-03-2017, 13:26
RE: Minimwatch cannot see Minimserver
(10-03-2017 21:20)macrotech Wrote:  
(10-03-2017 17:40)simoncn Wrote:  Very strange. It seems that the HomeHub 6 is the only component that has not been eliminated from suspicion. (I know you have tried a different unit that works OK.)

I'll try putting the Home Hub 5 back in tomorrow to see if MinimWatch works with that.

So it works with HomeHub 5 (after a Java Firewall warning and a reboot) but not back with Home Hub 6. However, the Home Hub 6 is faulty because it resets to factory when it is turned off. I have got BT to send a replacement so will try again in a few days! Thanks for your help so far.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
15-03-2017, 20:45
(12-03-2017 13:26)macrotech Wrote:  
(10-03-2017 21:20)macrotech Wrote:  
(10-03-2017 17:40)simoncn Wrote:  Very strange. It seems that the HomeHub 6 is the only component that has not been eliminated from suspicion. (I know you have tried a different unit that works OK.)

I'll try putting the Home Hub 5 back in tomorrow to see if MinimWatch works with that.

So it works with HomeHub 5 (after a Java Firewall warning and a reboot) but not back with Home Hub 6. However, the Home Hub 6 is faulty because it resets to factory when it is turned off. I have got BT to send a replacement so will try again in a few days! Thanks for your help so far.

New Bt Home Hub 6 and still no green MinimWatch. The weird thing is when I just started MinimWatch the Nas drive spun up. I'm still mystified!
15-03-2017, 21:00
(15-03-2017 20:45)macrotech Wrote:  New Bt Home Hub 6 and still no green MinimWatch. The weird thing is when I just started MinimWatch the Nas drive spun up. I'm still mystified!

MinimWatch is sending a UPnP M-SEARCH message when it starts. The NAS is receiving this message and responding to it. It sounds like the Home Hub 6 is blocking the response and preventing it reaching the PC running MinimWatch. This is a typical symptom of an issue with IGMP snooping / multicast handling in the router.
15-03-2017, 21:15
(15-03-2017 21:00)simoncn Wrote:  
(15-03-2017 20:45)macrotech Wrote:  New Bt Home Hub 6 and still no green MinimWatch. The weird thing is when I just started MinimWatch the Nas drive spun up. I'm still mystified!

MinimWatch is sending a UPnP M-SEARCH message when it starts. The NAS is receiving this message and responding to it. It sounds like the Home Hub 6 is blocking the response and preventing it reaching the PC running MinimWatch. This is a typical symptom of an issue with IGMP snooping / multicast handling in the router.

Thanks. Sounds like we might be getting somewhere. Any suggestions on what to look for in the router settings? This still doesn't explain why a HH6 at a different location is ok though??
15-03-2017, 21:26
(15-03-2017 21:15)macrotech Wrote:  Thanks. Sounds like we might be getting somewhere. Any suggestions on what to look for in the router settings? This still doesn't explain why a HH6 at a different location is ok though??

In a previous post, I pointed you to this section. Have you tried these suggestions?
19-05-2017, 10:39
(15-03-2017 21:26)simoncn Wrote:  
(15-03-2017 21:15)macrotech Wrote:  Thanks. Sounds like we might be getting somewhere. Any suggestions on what to look for in the router settings? This still doesn't explain why a HH6 at a different location is ok though??

In a previous post, I pointed you to this section. Have you tried these suggestions?

I finally solved this by plugging the QNAP NAS directly into the BT hub rather than into the Netgear switch. I don't understand why, but there you go.
19-05-2017, 10:51
I didn't realise there was a NETGEAR switch in your setup. As bypassing the switch solves the problem, this probably means the switch has IGMP snooping enabled and this is causing it to block multicast traffic. What model of NETGEAR switch is it?
19-05-2017, 10:56
(19-05-2017 10:51)simoncn Wrote:  I didn't realise there was a NETGEAR switch in your setup. As bypassing the switch solves the problem, this probably means the switch has IGMP snooping enabled and this is causing it to block multicast traffic. What model of NETGEAR switch is it?

It's a GS108 unmanaged.
19-05-2017, 11:13
The GS108 apparently doesn't have support for IGMP snooping, so the problem is still unexplained. The GS108T does support IGMP snooping and this is enabled or disabled via the web UI.