Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Minimwatch cannot see Minimserver
21-11-2013, 10:26
RE: Minimwatch cannot see Minimserver
(21-11-2013 10:02)NeilT Wrote:  I have a similar problem with minimwatch on my Windows 7 PC. All was working beautifully, and it accurately represented the state of minimserver on my Raspberry Pi, and allowed me to adjust settings. However, I changed my old Netgear router for a brand new model yesterday and now minimwatch cannot see minimserver. The Pi is visible to my control points, so I can still select and play music, but am no longer able to see the state on my desktop PC. Any ideas why a new router would block access for minimwatch?

Problems like this are normally caused by the router settings for multicast messages and/or IGMP snooping. I'm not sure why this problem is only affecting MinimWatch, though.

There are a couple of basic tests you can do to narrow down which multicast messages aren't being sent or received.

1) Power off the PC and the RPi, then power on the PC and start MinimWatch, then power on the RPi and start MinimServer. Does MinimServer show up in MinimWatch?

2) Power off the PC and the RPi, then power on the RPi and start MinimServer, then power on the PC and start MinimWatch. Does MinimServer show up in MinimWatch?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
21-11-2013, 11:01
Thanks Simon. That made me take a closer look at my network settings, and I found a spurious network listed on the PC. I have no idea from where it came but I disabled it, restarted minimwatch, and bingo!

I have never rally understood networking and always left that side of things to colleagues when I used to be a Unix developer. I can only assume that the new router has cause the PC to make some automatic changes, but not for the better!

Again, thanks.
21-11-2013, 11:30
(21-11-2013 11:01)NeilT Wrote:  Thanks Simon. That made me take a closer look at my network settings, and I found a spurious network listed on the PC. I have no idea from where it came but I disabled it, restarted minimwatch, and bingo!

I have never rally understood networking and always left that side of things to colleagues when I used to be a Unix developer. I can only assume that the new router has cause the PC to make some automatic changes, but not for the better!

Again, thanks.

OK, this explains why the problem only affected MinimWatch.

Was this extra network adapter on the PC the "Leaf Networks Adapter" mentioned in this post? It seems this adapter can be created automatically by NETGEAR PC client software.

If you need to enable this other PC adapter for any reason, you can use the MinimWatch ohnet.subnet setting to ensure MinimWatch uses the correct adapter on the PC.

I also found this interesting article, which shows how you can change the order that Windows uses to look for the networks on your PC. This might be an alternative to setting ohnet.subnet in MinimWatch, but I haven't verified that it has the same effect.
21-11-2013, 12:06
(21-11-2013 11:30)simoncn Wrote:  OK, this explains why the problem only affected MinimWatch.

Was this extra network adapter on the PC the "Leaf Networks Adapter" mentioned in this post? It seems this adapter can be created automatically by NETGEAR PC client software.

If you need to enable this other PC adapter for any reason, you can use the MinimWatch ohnet.subnet setting to ensure MinimWatch uses the correct adapter on the PC.

I also found this interesting article, which shows how you can change the order that Windows uses to look for the networks on your PC. This might be an alternative to setting ohnet.subnet in MinimWatch, but I haven't verified that it has the same effect.

I didn't bother to note what it was, but I don't think it was "Leaf Networks Adapter". It was most likely to be something similar though because I never noticed it previously. Having disabled it, it no longer shows in Networking Centre - so good riddance I say!
18-07-2014, 12:37 (This post was last modified: 18-07-2014 12:38 by rweten.)
Simon

How do I get MinimWatch/MinimServer to work 'seamlessly' on both the wired and wireless network adapters on my PC?

I have been mostly using Kinsky through the Wired Adapter. As we discussed earlier, I set the ohnet.subnet value to 192.168.1.0 to get it listening on my network.

If I disconnect my ethernet cable and try to go wireless, Kinsky will ask me if I want to select a different network adapter, which seems fine. However, when I click 'Yes' to select one, it won't offer a list for me!

Ideally I would want MinimWatch/MinimServer to be able to auto-select whether I'm on the Wired or Wireless networks (the two different adapters have IP addresses fixed in the router btw), or to allow me to manually switch when I change networks. At the moment the only way I've found is to uninstall Kinsky and then reinstall it, which is a bit painful.

The two network adapters do use the same subnet, by the way.

Richard
18-07-2014, 12:59 (This post was last modified: 18-07-2014 12:59 by simoncn.)
(18-07-2014 12:37)rweten Wrote:  Simon

How do I get MinimWatch/MinimServer to work 'seamlessly' on both the wired and wireless network adapters on my PC?

I have been mostly using Kinsky through the Wired Adapter. As we discussed earlier, I set the ohnet.subnet value to 192.168.1.0 to get it listening on my network.

If I disconnect my ethernet cable and try to go wireless, Kinsky will ask me if I want to select a different network adapter, which seems fine. However, when I click 'Yes' to select one, it won't offer a list for me!

This is a bug in Kinsky. After clicking Yes, you need to do right-click (in the top section) > Tools > Options > Network > Network Interface and select the correct adapter.

Quote:Ideally I would want MinimWatch/MinimServer to be able to auto-select whether I'm on the Wired or Wireless networks (the two different adapters have IP addresses fixed in the router btw), or to allow me to manually switch when I change networks. At the moment the only way I've found is to uninstall Kinsky and then reinstall it, which is a bit painful.

The two network adapters do use the same subnet, by the way.

Richard

MinimWatch will switch between these adapters automatically if they are on the same subnet. Unfortunately, Kinsky requires manual switching.
19-07-2014, 08:01
(18-07-2014 12:59)simoncn Wrote:  MinimWatch will switch between these adapters automatically if they are on the same subnet. Unfortunately, Kinsky requires manual switching.

OK, thanks Simon. Sounds like one to take up with Linn. R
02-03-2017, 10:51
Hi Simon

I've just updated my BT Home Hub to a version 6 and have the problem described earlier where MinimWatch starts but cannot find a server (wireless or direct connection). The hub is set up identically to the previous one in terms of IP addresses (I use 192.168.100.x) and everything else is working as expected; i.e. I can play music and see MinimServer from within Linn Config and access the MinimServer status page from its IP address.

The ohnet.subnet property is set to 192.168.100.0 and I can't see any spurious network connections.

Any ideas? I updated MinimWatch to the latest version, but uninstalled the old version first if this is relevant.

Thanks

Kevin
02-03-2017, 18:42
Please see MinimWatch can't find MinimServer for some suggestions.

If this doesn't help, try the suggestions in My control point can't see MinimServer.
03-03-2017, 11:06
(02-03-2017 18:42)simoncn Wrote:  Please see MinimWatch can't find MinimServer for some suggestions.

If this doesn't help, try the suggestions in My control point can't see MinimServer.

Nope, none of that helps. MinimServer is working fine except that MinimWatch can't find it

Has anyone got MinimWatch working with a BT Home Hub 6? Is there some magic router setting?

Here's my MinimWatch log:

MinimWatch 0.8.4 update 50, Copyright © 2012-2017 Simon Nash. All rights reserved.
Java™ SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_51-b13)
Java HotSpot™ 64-Bit Server VM (build 24.51-b03, mixed mode)
Platform default charset is windows-1252
System look and feel is com.sun.java.swing.plaf.windows.WindowsLookAndFeel
Using single subnet 192.168.100.0
Startup complete

Any ideas please?