Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Can't load AMD 64-bit .dll on a IA 32-bit platform" error
20-10-2013, 09:57
"Can't load AMD 64-bit .dll on a IA 32-bit platform" error
A couple of days ago I was prompted to update Java. Such prompts appear from time to time on my PC and I accepted the update. My assumption was that I was updating files on my PC but I was browsing File Station on my Synology DS412+ NAS at the time and now MinimWatch does not activate MinimServer on the NAS. That leaves me wondering if I was actually updating Java on my NAS.

If you get the impression that I am a bit clueless about Java that would be pretty accurate!

The error message that appears is "Can't load AMD 64-bit .dll on a IA 32-bit platform". Does this suggest that my recent Java update has screwed things up for MinimServer? If so, some guidance on how to fix it would be greatly appreciated.

David
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
20-10-2013, 10:01
RE: "Can't load AMD 64-bit .dll on a IA 32-bit platform" error
I'm guessing that I must have accidentally changed the version of Java on my PC from 64-bit to 32-bit.
20-10-2013, 10:13
(20-10-2013 10:01)haggis999 Wrote:  I'm guessing that I must have accidentally changed the version of Java on my PC from 64-bit to 32-bit.

Yes, it sounds like that's what happened. See Note 1 in the section 'Installing or updating MinimWatch' on this page for some options for solving this.
20-10-2013, 10:51
(20-10-2013 10:13)simoncn Wrote:  
(20-10-2013 10:01)haggis999 Wrote:  I'm guessing that I must have accidentally changed the version of Java on my PC from 64-bit to 32-bit.

Yes, it sounds like that's what happened. See Note 1 in the section 'Installing or updating MinimWatch' on this page for some options for solving this.

I've just reinstalled the 64-bit version of Java on my PC and now all is well again with MinimWatch.

This all a bit puzzling. Oracle's installation page for Java states "If you use 32-bit and 64-bit browsers interchangeably, you will need to install both 32-bit and 64-bit Java in order to have the Java plug-in for both browsers". This clearly implies that both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Java can coexist. Why then would my MinimWatch functionality have been screwed up by a subsequent semi-automated update process initiated by Oracle?

BTW, I am currently running the latest V7.45 version of Java on my PC but am restricted to the use of Java SE for Embedded 6 on my NAS. Is this mismatch of Java levels between PC and NAS likely to cause a problem in future as the levels diverge even further?

David
20-10-2013, 14:02
(20-10-2013 10:51)haggis999 Wrote:  I've just reinstalled the 64-bit version of Java on my PC and now all is well again with MinimWatch.

This all a bit puzzling. Oracle's installation page for Java states "If you use 32-bit and 64-bit browsers interchangeably, you will need to install both 32-bit and 64-bit Java in order to have the Java plug-in for both browsers". This clearly implies that both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Java can coexist. Why then would my MinimWatch functionality have been screwed up by a subsequent semi-automated update process initiated by Oracle?

MinimWatch and MinimServer for Windows don't currently support 32-bit and 64-bit Java coexistence. This is because MinimWatch and MinimServer are launched using the Windows program association for the .jar extension, which is unpredictable if both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Java are installed. I suspect that your installation of a 32-bit Java update changed the .jar association from 64-bit Java to 32-bit Java. I'll put this on my to-do list to investigate again at some point.

Quote:BTW, I am currently running the latest V7.45 version of Java on my PC but am restricted to the use of Java SE for Embedded 6 on my NAS. Is this mismatch of Java levels between PC and NAS likely to cause a problem in future as the levels diverge even further?

David

At present, MinimServer and MinimWatch support both Java 6 and Java 7, and the same functionality is available with both versions. I'm considering taking advantage of new Java 7 functionality in a future release of MinimServer, and I'm hoping that all the major NAS platforms will support Java 7 before this happens.
20-10-2013, 23:36
(20-10-2013 14:02)simoncn Wrote:  MinimWatch and MinimServer for Windows don't currently support 32-bit and 64-bit Java coexistence. This is because MinimWatch and MinimServer are launched using the Windows program association for the .jar extension, which is unpredictable if both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Java are installed. I suspect that your installation of a 32-bit Java update changed the .jar association from 64-bit Java to 32-bit Java. I'll put this on my to-do list to investigate again at some point.

Thanks for the clarification. Next time Oracle prompts me to approve an update to Java I'll check to see if they make it clear which version is to be updated.

David
21-10-2013, 11:31
(20-10-2013 23:36)haggis999 Wrote:  Thanks for the clarification. Next time Oracle prompts me to approve an update to Java I'll check to see if they make it clear which version is to be updated.

It might be worth checking whether you need the 32 bit version at all; if you don't have any programs that need it, you may be able to uninstall it and leave just the 64 bit version. On the PC platform, Java (like other add-ons) has tended to create security holes.

David
21-10-2013, 11:58
(21-10-2013 11:31)DavidHB Wrote:  It might be worth checking whether you need the 32 bit version at all; if you don't have any programs that need it, you may be able to uninstall it and leave just the 64 bit version. On the PC platform, Java (like other add-ons) has tended to create security holes.

I had already briefly considered that option but the truth is that I can't remember why Java was installed on my PC long before MinimServer came along! Removing the 32-bit version might therefore break something. On the other hand, such a problem would be easily rectified, so I might just take the risk.

David
21-10-2013, 12:18 (This post was last modified: 21-10-2013 12:19 by simoncn.)
(21-10-2013 11:58)haggis999 Wrote:  I had already briefly considered that option but the truth is that I can't remember why Java was installed on my PC long before MinimServer came along! Removing the 32-bit version might therefore break something. On the other hand, such a problem would be easily rectified, so I might just take the risk.

David

A 32-bit browser would need 32-bit Java when using a web site that requires the browser Java plug-in. Such web sites are fairly uncommon these days.
21-10-2013, 23:33
(21-10-2013 12:18)simoncn Wrote:  A 32-bit browser would need 32-bit Java when using a web site that requires the browser Java plug-in. Such web sites are fairly uncommon these days.

Rather oddly, and unlike earlier IE versions, Internet Explorer 10 (my current browser) gives no indication when running under Windows 7 whether it is 32-bit or 64-bit. The default setting turns out to be 32-bit and you have to turn on a very obscurely worded advanced security option called 'Enable Enhanced Protected Mode' to change it to 64-bit. Doing this caused a couple of my existing IE add-ons to be disabled but I shall leave IE in 64-bit mode just to see what happens.

David