Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can't see any music files
11-10-2013, 10:43
Can't see any music files
Hi. Just installed MinimServer to give it a try. It is on my NAS (QNAP-219). MinimServer appear in Linn Kinsky but when I click on it no music appears. In reading the info, I believe that MinimServer is not currently looking in the correct place on the NAS for the files and that MinimWatch is used to change that (amongst other things). So I downloaded MinimWatch onto my Laptop. When I click on the MinimWatch icon all that happens is an Icon appears saying MinimServer(bobnas) is running.

Can you please advise how I can use MinimWatch, or other to get MinimServer to find the music files.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-10-2013, 12:04
RE: Can't see any music files
(11-10-2013 10:43)grimreaper46 Wrote:  Hi. Just installed MinimServer to give it a try. It is on my NAS (QNAP-219). MinimServer appear in Linn Kinsky but when I click on it no music appears. In reading the info, I believe that MinimServer is not currently looking in the correct place on the NAS for the files and that MinimWatch is used to change that (amongst other things). So I downloaded MinimWatch onto my Laptop. When I click on the MinimWatch icon all that happens is an Icon appears saying MinimServer(bobnas) is running.

Can you please advise how I can use MinimWatch, or other to get MinimServer to find the music files.

You can right-click on the minim icon to see a pop-up menu of commands. Select the Properties command and you will see a dialog that allows you to change the value of contentDir. After making the change, click OK to confirm, then select Restart from the minim icon's pop-up menu.
11-10-2013, 16:56
(11-10-2013 12:04)simoncn Wrote:  
(11-10-2013 10:43)grimreaper46 Wrote:  Hi. Just installed MinimServer to give it a try. It is on my NAS (QNAP-219). MinimServer appear in Linn Kinsky but when I click on it no music appears. In reading the info, I believe that MinimServer is not currently looking in the correct place on the NAS for the files and that MinimWatch is used to change that (amongst other things). So I downloaded MinimWatch onto my Laptop. When I click on the MinimWatch icon all that happens is an Icon appears saying MinimServer(bobnas) is running.

You can right-click on the minim icon to see a pop-up menu of commands. Select the Properties command and you will see a dialog that allows you to change the value of contentDir. After making the change, click OK to confirm, then select Restart from the minim icon's pop-up menu.

Thanks Simon. I have done that and everything is fine. The problem was it seemed to say select the "Setting" option which does not appear. Once I realised that you selected "Properties" did it straight away.

Still new to it all but as I can do Start,Stop,Reset and alter the settings by right clicking the minimServer Icon I really don't see at the moment what minimWatch achieves.

Got to check now why Twonky and minimServer show a different number of Albums/Tracks. That should pass a quiet evening.Big Grin

Thanks again. Now I will make a donation.Tongue
11-10-2013, 17:43
(11-10-2013 16:56)grimreaper46 Wrote:  Thanks Simon. I have done that and everything is fine. The problem was it seemed to say select the "Setting" option which does not appear. Once I realised that you selected "Properties" did it straight away.

I'm glad it's working now. Where did you see a reference to a "Setting" option?

Quote:Still new to it all but as I can do Start,Stop,Reset and alter the settings by right clicking the minimServer Icon I really don't see at the moment what minimWatch achieves.

MinimWatch displays this minim icon on a remote computer and provides a "remote control" that allows you to manage MinimServer running on the QNAP. Without MinimWatch, you wouldn't be able to manage MinimServer running on a NAS.

Quote:Got to check now why Twonky and minimServer show a different number of Albums/Tracks. That should pass a quiet evening.Big Grin

The best place to start is by looking at the MinimServer log (use 'Show log' from the minim icon). You might find error or warning messages that help you identify the missing files.

Quote:Thanks again. Now I will make a donation.Tongue

Thanks very much!
11-10-2013, 18:57
(11-10-2013 17:43)simoncn Wrote:  
Quote:Got to check now why Twonky and minimServer show a different number of Albums/Tracks. That should pass a quiet evening.Big Grin

The best place to start is by looking at the MinimServer log (use 'Show log' from the minim icon). You might find error or warning messages that help you identify the missing files.

Hi, from my own experience I can say that the MinimServer log is indeed extremely helpful to narrow down tagging issues.
Another reason for a different number of albums might be that MinimServer correctly indexes a multi-disc album as a single album, where other server software may create an album entry for each disc of a multi-disc album.
12-10-2013, 00:45
(11-10-2013 18:57)winxi Wrote:  

Hi, from my own experience I can say that the MinimServer log is indeed extremely helpful to narrow down tagging issues.
Another reason for a different number of albums might be that MinimServer correctly indexes a multi-disc album as a single album, where other server software may create an album entry for each disc of a multi-disc album.

Now I don't understand. Under Albums it says 809. I have just added them up the 809 includes every CD, not every Album. So a compilation 5CD collection under Best Of for example shows up as 5 seperate albums not one album. This I presume is because the CD's are tagged 1/5; 2/5; 3/5; 4/5; and 5/5.
12-10-2013, 00:53
(11-10-2013 16:56)grimreaper46 Wrote:  Thanks Simon. I have done that and everything is fine. The problem was it seemed to say select the "Setting" option which does not appear. Once I realised that you selected "Properties" did it straight away.

I'm glad it's working now. Where did you see a reference to a "Setting" option?

Quote:Still new to it all but as I can do Start,Stop,Reset and alter the settings by right clicking the minimServer Icon I really don't see at the moment what minimWatch achieves.

MinimWatch displays this minim icon on a remote computer and provides a "remote control" that allows you to manage MinimServer running on the QNAP. Without MinimWatch, you wouldn't be able to manage MinimServer running on a NAS.

Quote:Thanks again. Now I will make a donation.Tongue

Thanks very much!

Thanks for all that. As I understand it then, when I click on minimWatch it brings up the minimServer Icon and then I can perform things like stop/start/view log excetera. What was confusing me (I am very old you know) was I was assuming that the actions on minimServer were performed by using a pop up menu on MinimWatch icon. Think I am getting a bit more conversant with it now.
12-10-2013, 07:35
(12-10-2013 00:53)grimreaper46 Wrote:  Thanks for all that. As I understand it then, when I click on minimWatch it brings up the minimServer Icon and then I can perform things like stop/start/view log excetera. What was confusing me (I am very old you know) was I was assuming that the actions on minimServer were performed by using a pop up menu on MinimWatch icon. Think I am getting a bit more conversant with it now.

The icon that you see comes from MinimWatch, and the commands that you access from the icon are sent by MinimWatch across the network to MinimServer on the NAS. So it is correct to say that the actions on MinimServer are performed by using a pop-up menu on the MinimWatch icon.
12-10-2013, 07:49
(12-10-2013 00:45)grimreaper46 Wrote:  Now I don't understand. Under Albums it says 809. I have just added them up the 809 includes every CD, not every Album. So a compilation 5CD collection under Best Of for example shows up as 5 seperate albums not one album. This I presume is because the CD's are tagged 1/5; 2/5; 3/5; 4/5; and 5/5.

Are the CDs tagged this way in the ALBUM tag or in the DISCNUMBER tag? If they are tagged this way in the DISCNUMBER tag, the CDs should be shown as a single album. If they are tagged this way in the ALBUM tag, you will see 5 separate albums.

If you want the 5 CDs to be shown as a single album containing "Disc n" markers showing that the album contains 5 separate CDs, you need to add the suffix [Disc n] or (Disc n) to the album title for each CD. The suffix needs to be in this exact format, so [Disc 1/5] won't work.

If you want the tracks from the 5 CDs to be merged into a single album and you don't want to see "Disc n" markers showing that the album contains 5 separate CDs, you should use the same album title for each CD with the correct DISCNUMBER tags. The DISCNUMBER tags can be 1; 2; etc. or 1/5; 2/5; etc.
12-10-2013, 10:25
(12-10-2013 07:49)simoncn Wrote:  
(12-10-2013 00:45)grimreaper46 Wrote:  Now I don't understand. Under Albums it says 809. I have just added them up the 809 includes every CD, not every Album. So a compilation 5CD collection under Best Of for example shows up as 5 seperate albums not one album. This I presume is because the CD's are tagged 1/5; 2/5; 3/5; 4/5; and 5/5.

Are the CDs tagged this way in the ALBUM tag or in the DISCNUMBER tag? If they are tagged this way in the DISCNUMBER tag, the CDs should be shown as a single album. If they are tagged this way in the ALBUM tag, you will see 5 separate albums.

If you want the 5 CDs to be shown as a single album containing "Disc n" markers showing that the album contains 5 separate CDs, you need to add the suffix [Disc n] or (Disc n) to the album title for each CD. The suffix needs to be in this exact format, so [Disc 1/5] won't work.

If you want the tracks from the 5 CDs to be merged into a single album and you don't want to see "Disc n" markers showing that the album contains 5 separate CDs, you should use the same album title for each CD with the correct DISCNUMBER tags. The DISCNUMBER tags can be 1; 2; etc. or 1/5; 2/5; etc.

I am happy as they are. That when I go to a particular artist say The Best of ... I see all the individual CD's so that's fine.

Can you tell me how, if an Artist has say 2 different albums, when I select the Artist it comes up with the two albums not a folder saying 2 albums that I have to click on to see the individual albums (if I have explained that properly)