Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linn Akurate DSM
08-10-2013, 17:21
Linn Akurate DSM
Next week i will get a new Linn Akurate DSM which will replace my T+A 1260 R

Minim Server works on my Syno 213+ and is controlled via BubbleGum over my Tablet ( Android). The WLAN Router is not Internet connected.

Are there software or configuration changes needed when i change to Linn Akurate ? Some Ideas ?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-10-2013, 17:23
RE: Linn Akurate DSM
(08-10-2013 17:21)Oroperplex Wrote:  Next week i will get a new Linn Akurate DSM which will replace my T+A 1260 R

Minim Server works on my Syno 213+ and is controlled via BubbleGum over my Tablet ( Android). The WLAN Router is not Internet connected.

Are there software or configuration changes needed when i change to Linn Akurate ? Some Ideas ?

For a Linn DS renderer, you should use BubbleDS instead of BubbleUPnP. I don't think any other changes are needed.
09-10-2013, 01:42 (This post was last modified: 09-10-2013 01:44 by DavidHB.)
Simon has identified the main change, but, as one who has also recently bought an Akurate DSM, I'd add a couple of points (if they were already obvious, I apologise).

First you will need the Linn Konfig software installed on a PC or Mac connected to the same network as your DSM to configure your device. While you are installing Konfig, you might also wish to give Kinsky, Linn's own Control Point software for PC, Mac, iOS and Android, a try, alongside Bubble DS. I have both, and no strong preference between them, but they do have somewhat different user interfaces, so it is worth getting to know them both (and Kinsky is free, which Bubble DS is not, though its cost in relation to that of the Akurate is tiny).

You mention that you have a WLAN Router, and I suppose I ought therefore to point out that (as a deliberate part of Linn's approach to streaming) the Akurate only connects to the network via Ethernet, but I guess that you are aware of that from your purchasing process. Also, if the Linn has no access to the Internet, you cannot make use of its built in streaming radio capabilities, which is a pity, because they are very good.

I haven't heard your T + A device, but I see from reviews that it has a range of digital (but, unless I'm mistaken, no analogue) inputs. I found that it's worth giving some thought and effort to the best means of using the numerous inputs on the Akurate to best effect (and to setting up their naming and relative volume in Konfig).

If you already have sources (e.g. a CD player) with digital outputs, these will almost certainly be best connected digitally to the Akurate, because of the quality of its DAC. And one of the analogue inputs can be configured (usually by your dealer) for moving magnet cartridge, moving coil cartridge or line input, so this is a choice you need to make if you have not done so already. I won't be using my Akurate in a home cinema system, but I did think it was worthwhile to set up a couple of the HDMI inputs, as my laptop and one of my tablets have HDMI connections. The one input on your T + A which is missing from the Akurate is USB (again a very deliberate choice by Linn, I believe); as you are already using a NAS, I'd guess that this is not much of an issue for you.

One thing you do not need to change in any way is your MinimServer configuration. MinimServer has worked faultlessly with my Linn and the control points from the outset. Now all I need is a Control Point that gives me as much control over the display of metadata as MinimServer gives me of the provision of said metadata to the rest of the system ...

David
10-10-2013, 15:56 (This post was last modified: 10-10-2013 15:58 by uk75.)
There is no real need for the Linn Konfig program. All settings for the AKDSM are available on its on-device configuration page, which is accessed via the Linn's IP address (you may want to make sure the Linn, as your Synology, always gets the same IP via the Router, to make things easier).
As for controlling, I'm afraid to say that Kinsky for Android is not up to par with the iOS version (sadly). Also, Minim has no Android app as of yet, which really is a pity because it features the search function you otherwise miss on minim (for the time being).
You will definitely miss the T+A's (remote) control functions, which allowed for full UPNP browsing, even from the device's front panel. Linn's approach will always make you use a Computer of some kind to load a playlist (you *could* use the Linn "Kinsky Jukebox" program, which allows you to browse your music via the remote control, once it's fully set up - but that's another story).

With regard to inputs - the AKDSM only features 1 (one) unbalanced RCA analogue input. If you need a second one, you can ask your dealer to revert the Phono MM/MC input to a usual line input. This is a three minute affair. But of course it's a waste, given that the AKDSM has quite a nice Phono stage... Angel
11-10-2013, 01:04 (This post was last modified: 11-10-2013 01:06 by DavidHB.)
(10-10-2013 15:56)uk75 Wrote:  There is no real need for the Linn Konfig program. All settings for the AKDSM are available on its on-device configuration page, which is accessed via the Linn's IP address (you may want to make sure the Linn, as your Synology, always gets the same IP via the Router, to make things easier).

This is bound to be a matter of personal choice, but it may be relevant that the 'Getting Started' manual for the Akurate DSM does not mention accessing the configuration options directly via the IP address. Would most users prefer to install a small piece of software or deal with router settings? My guess would be the former. AFAIK, the settings page and Konfig are functionally identical.

That said, I can access the DSM settings from my tablet via the IP address; there is no version of Konfig for Android (or, I think, iOS).

Quote:As for controlling, I'm afraid to say that Kinsky for Android is not up to par with the iOS version (sadly). Also, Minim has no Android app as of yet, which really is a pity because it features the search function you otherwise miss on minim (for the time being).

I don't use iOS, so can't comment on the comparison. But, as I have said, Kinsky for Android works pretty well for me, so this may be another of those opinion things.

Quote:With regard to inputs - the AkDSM only features 1 (one) unbalanced RCA analogue input. If you need a second one, you can ask your dealer to revert the Phono MM/MC input to a usual line input. This is a three minute affair. But of course it's a waste, given that the AkDSM has quite a nice Phono stage

The Phono stage is indeed nice (it has given my old Linn Basik a new lease of life). But that is only relevant if you have a record deck; if you don't, you might as well have the additional line input.

I did think rather hard about the small number of RCA analogue inputs before buying my AkDSM. In the light of experience, I think that most people will not find this a great limitation. The internet radio facilities on the AkDSM make an FM tuner unnecessary. Tape is part of technological history, and most CD players worth connecting to the Linn have digital outputs. I have a DAB tuner digitally connected to the AkDSM, but, when all the radio stations I listen to are in my Tune In radio favourites, it will probably get little or no use. The connectivity growth area just now seems to be HDMI, which is well provided for.

The one missing piece of connectivity on the AkDSM that did disappoint me is a non volume controlled line output (the Majik DSM does have one). I'd like to have used my Naim headphone amplifier in the system, but cannot do so. However, the built-in headphone amplifier in the AkDSM is pretty good, so I'm not feeling the loss as much as I expected.

David
26-10-2013, 20:48 (This post was last modified: 26-10-2013 20:49 by Oroperplex.)
Got my Linn Akurate DSM today and out of the box it works like a charm; I bought me Bubble DS Android App and it`s nice. Also the Volume could be changed very nice;

Mimim Server works with Bubble DS as good as with my normal Bubble version

My flacs i did not heard them in such fine quality; I deactivated HDMI support because some guys told me overall quality is better;

Many thanks for your pointings to the right direction dealing with my new streaming client,

If somebody made some positive experience with some special configuration I'd really appreciate to hear about them

Actually iám playing Eagles "hell freezes over" great great gret
26-10-2013, 21:01
(26-10-2013 20:48)Oroperplex Wrote:  Got my Linn Akurate DSM today and out of the box it works like a charm; I bought me Bubble DS Android App and it`s nice. Also the Volume could be changed very nice;

My flacs i did not heard them in such fine quality; I deactivated HDMI support because some guys told me overall quality is better;

Many thanks for your pointings to the right direction dealing with my new streaming client,

If somebody made some positive experience with some special configuration I'd really appreciate to hear about them

Enabling wav24 transcoding in MinimServer might help, if you're not already doing this.
26-10-2013, 22:49
I'd agree with Simon that enabling the transcoding is all you need to do to achieve best quality. I've now had my Akurate DSM for about a month, and have not ceased to be surprised by the quality I am getting. It's just as well that I've set my NAS to power down at 2am, or I might find myself listening all night sometimes!

While setting transcoding (and maybe switching off HDMI if not needed, though I have not found that to be an issue) is the best configuration change for quality purposes, there may be other things you can do to improve usability. In my previous post, I mentioned making use of the analogue and (particularly) digital inputs; if you do this, using Konfig or web configuration to adjust the base volume level and friendly naming of each input you use makes sense.

If you are going to use the headphone output at all often, a good quality set of headphones will repay the investment; I am currently using a pair of Grado SR225i phones, and I'd guess that is the minimum level you need to do justice to the DSM (I know, more money ...)

David
26-10-2013, 23:28 (This post was last modified: 26-10-2013 23:29 by Oroperplex.)
(11-10-2013 01:04)DavidHB Wrote:  
(10-10-2013 15:56)uk75 Wrote:  There is no real need for the Linn Konfig program. All settings for the AKDSM are available on its on-device configuration page, which is accessed via the Linn's IP address (you may want to make sure the Linn, as your Synology, always gets the same IP via the Router, to make things easier).

This is bound to be a matter of personal choice, but it may be relevant that the 'Getting Started' manual for the Akurate DSM does not mention accessing the configuration options directly via the IP address. Would most users prefer to install a small piece of software or deal with router settings? My guess would be the former. AFAIK, the settings page and Konfig are functionally identical.

That said, I can access the DSM settings from my tablet via the IP address; there is no version of Konfig for Android (or, I think, iOS).

Quote:As for controlling, I'm afraid to say that Kinsky for Android is not up to par with the iOS version (sadly). Also, Minim has no Android app as of yet, which really is a pity because it features the search function you otherwise miss on minim (for the time being).

I don't use iOS, so can't comment on the comparison. But, as I have said, Kinsky for Android works pretty well for me, so this may be another of those opinion things.

Quote:With regard to inputs - the AkDSM only features 1 (one) unbalanced RCA analogue input. If you need a second one, you can ask your dealer to revert the Phono MM/MC input to a usual line input. This is a three minute affair. But of course it's a waste, given that the AkDSM has quite a nice Phono stage

The Phono stage is indeed nice (it has given my old Linn Basik a new lease of life). But that is only relevant if you have a record deck; if you don't, you might as well have the additional line input.

I did think rather hard about the small number of RCA analogue inputs before buying my AkDSM. In the light of experience, I think that most people will not find this a great limitation. The internet radio facilities on the AkDSM make an FM tuner unnecessary. Tape is part of technological history, and most CD players worth connecting to the Linn have digital outputs. I have a DAB tuner digitally connected to the AkDSM, but, when all the radio stations I listen to are in my Tune In radio favourites, it will probably get little or no use. The connectivity growth area just now seems to be HDMI, which is well provided for.

The one missing piece of connectivity on the AkDSM that did disappoint me is a non volume controlled line output (the Majik DSM does have one). I'd like to have used my Naim headphone amplifier in the system, but cannot do so. However, the built-in headphone amplifier in the AkDSM is pretty good, so I'm not feeling the loss as much as I expected.

David

(26-10-2013 21:01)simoncn Wrote:  
(26-10-2013 20:48)Oroperplex Wrote:  Got my Linn Akurate DSM today and out of the box it works like a charm; I bought me Bubble DS Android App and it`s nice. Also the Volume could be changed very nice;

Enabling wav24 transcoding in MinimServer might help, if you're not already doing this.

wav24 transcoding is working since months on my Minim Server Wink

But there is another question about displaying played track and choosing album in the front display of the Akurate.

From the beginning today i am working with Bubble on my Android tablet.

But what about scrolling with the remote over the available servers in the front display ? The only thing i see in the front display is "playlist" and when a track starts to begin to play the name is displayed 3 or 5 seconds. That`sall.
Should i change a source in the konfig tool to see all available servers ?
27-10-2013, 00:23 (This post was last modified: 27-10-2013 01:15 by DavidHB.)
(26-10-2013 23:28)Oroperplex Wrote:  ... what about scrolling with the remote over the available servers in the front display ? The only thing i see in the front display is "playlist" and when a track starts to begin to play the name is displayed 3 or 5 seconds. That`sall.
Should i change a source in the konfig tool to see all available servers ?

The quick scroll is all you get, and I think this is typical for this kind of player. I seem to recall that the logic of this limitation is that continuous scrolling of changing data from the stream can affect the timing (or jitter) of the sound data, and the scrolling is therefore switched of while the rest of the track plays.

There is no option in Konfig to change the scrolling behaviour, except that you can disable it completely, which is obviously not what you want!

Later: I forgot to mention that pressing the 'I' button on the remote control displays track details including timing and track data. Each press of the button displays a different item of metadata; at the end, you cycle back to the default display

David