Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linn Akurate DSM
27-10-2013, 15:03 (This post was last modified: 27-10-2013 15:04 by Oroperplex.)
RE: Linn Akurate DSM
(27-10-2013 00:23)DavidHB Wrote:  
(26-10-2013 23:28)Oroperplex Wrote:  ... what about scrolling with the remote over the available servers in the front display ? The only thing i see in the front display is "playlist" and when a track starts to begin to play the name is displayed 3 or 5 seconds. That`sall.
Should i change a source in the konfig tool to see all available servers ?

The quick scroll is all you get, and I think this is typical for this kind of player. I seem to recall that the logic of this limitation is that continuous scrolling of changing data from the stream can affect the timing (or jitter) of the sound data, and the scrolling is therefore switched of while the rest of the track plays.

There is no option in Konfig to change the scrolling behaviour, except that you can disable it completely, which is obviously not what you want!

Later: I forgot to mention that pressing the 'I' button on the remote control displays track details including timing and track data. Each press of the button displays a different item of metadata; at the end, you cycle back to the default display

David

Ah ok with the INFO key on ther remote the track playing and related information is shown;

Question for the DSM Pre amp part:
Somebody an idea what is the better configuration for Output Attenuation when speakers have to play in all three cases (0, -12, -24 db) e.g. 70 db ?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
27-10-2013, 16:56
(27-10-2013 15:03)Oroperplex Wrote:  Question for the DSM Pre amp part:
Somebody an idea what is the better configuration for Output Attenuation when speakers have to play in all three cases (0, -12, -24 db) e.g. 70 db ?

I don't think that there is one 'best' configuration; the settings are provided for your convenience and comfort, and you are the best judge of that. I arrived at my settings by trial and error just after I installed my DSM. I haven't felt the need to change them since then.

David
28-10-2013, 12:21
my dealer mentioned this the other day, and he meant that the default setting (0 db?) is the best one by a margin.
28-10-2013, 12:32
Set the Attenuation so you usually listen with volume settings between 50 and 75. Never go beyond 80.
28-10-2013, 12:45
(28-10-2013 12:32)uk75 Wrote:  Set the Attenuation so you usually listen with volume settings between 50 and 75. Never go beyond 80.

I'd agree with this advice. I start with 50, and find that virtually all my listening (on speakers or headphones) is done with the volume set between 45 and 55.

Peter Walker, the founder of Quad, used to say that the volume control should be used almost like a focus control, to 'place' the sound stage correctly relative to the listener; in other words, there is a 'right' volume for each recording. And, with the Akurate DSM, the 'correct' baseline volume is, I find, not massively high.

David
28-10-2013, 18:11
(28-10-2013 12:45)DavidHB Wrote:  
(28-10-2013 12:32)uk75 Wrote:  Set the Attenuation so you usually listen with volume settings between 50 and 75. Never go beyond 80.

I'd agree with this advice. I start with 50, and find that virtually all my listening (on speakers or headphones) is done with the volume set between 45 and 55.

Peter Walker, the founder of Quad, used to say that the volume control should be used almost like a focus control, to 'place' the sound stage correctly relative to the listener; in other words, there is a 'right' volume for each recording. And, with the Akurate DSM, the 'correct' baseline volume is, I find, not massively high.

David

that means your attenuation setting is 0 db because with max 55 db and -12 or - 24 db attenuation no loud output is possible
28-10-2013, 19:34
(28-10-2013 18:11)Oroperplex Wrote:  that means your attenuation setting is 0 db because with max 55 db and -12 or - 24 db attenuation no loud output is possible

Yes, that is correct. I wouldn't expect to use attenuation, because my old Quad 606 power amplifier has a somewhat less sensitive input than seems to be usual these days.

As I said, there was no deep thinking in the selection of input and output gain adjustments. I just went with what seemed to work well.

David
04-11-2013, 00:18
Want to buy me two of these Monoblocks http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/ampl...cts/xpa-1l to power my Akurate DSM.
Has somebody arguments against this combination ?
04-11-2013, 01:08
(04-11-2013 00:18)Oroperplex Wrote:  Want to buy me two of these Monoblocks http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/ampl...cts/xpa-1l to power my Akurate DSM.

This thread would be more appropriate for the new Digital Audio section of the forum. Unless anyone has strong objections, I'll move it there tomorrow.
04-11-2013, 15:02
(04-11-2013 00:18)Oroperplex Wrote:  Want to buy me two of these Monoblocks ...to power my Akurate DSM.

At this level, your own ears must be the judge, so it's an issue of how you can get to listen to the amp with a DSM and speakers that are a reasonable match to your own. You might get more information on, say, the Linn forum, but I always find it difficult to relate other people's judgements of sound quality to my own.

David