Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Four digit tracknumber disables group tag functionality?
05-10-2013, 19:54
RE: Four digit tracknumber disables group tag functionality?
(04-10-2013 18:31)simoncn Wrote:  Please check the MinimServer log for warning messages. I think you will find messages saying that these invalid TRACKNUMBER tag values have been ignored. The maximum track number supported by MinimServer is 1023.

If you populate the DISCNUMBER tag with the disc number and the TRACKNUMBER tag with the track number, everything should work OK.

Hi Simon,

Thanks for your prompt reply and you're right, as usual. I can now see where I went wrong.
There were indeed a number of error messages such as:
"
Scanning directory Symfonieën (PO 1985-96)
Error: group contains tracks that aren't consecutive: Mahler - Das klagende Lied (PO, Sinopoli 1990)
"

and:
"
Warning: invalid TRACKNUMBER tag value 1102 ignored for file Beethoven/Kamer/Pianowerken (Brendel)/Pianosonates (1970-77)/1102 Op.110; 1 Moderato cantabile molto espressivo.flac
"

My reason for these 'extravagant' Tracknumbers was to be able to keep seeing the original tracknumber (on the original disc) so I could easlily compare tag data with the tracklist in the cd booklet, while also complying with the rule that, within a multi-disc album, all tracknumbers should be unique and consecutive. And so I created this monstrosity.

Apart from getting tracknumbers greater than the maximum allowed track number of 1023 (which I wasn't aware of but seems a fair maximum), I also broke up some track sequences that should be regarded as a group, such as these two consecutive (parts of) movements in Mahler's eighth symphony, this symphony being spread out over discs 8 an 9:

0809 Nr.8: II: 'Alles Vergängliche' (Chorus mysticus)
0901 Nr.8: II: Poco adagio - 'Waldung, sie schwankt heran' (Chor und Echo)

Now I'm not exactly sure why this didn't work. It might also have been because MinimServer was already taken off track (no pun intended) by other tracks in the same directory having Tracknumbers greater than 1023. Or is it because 0901 is not regarded to be the proper next track after 0809?

Well, anyway, I've rewritten part of my numbering script (in VBS) so that it now creates proper consecutive series of tracknumbers within each directory. (My file names still begin with 101, 102 ... 201, 202 etc for sets with less than ten cd's and 0101, 0102 ... 0201, 0202 for sets containing 10 cd's or more). Now everything works fine as before.

Sorry for bothering you with all this!

Regards,

Hans Valeton
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Four digit tracknumber disables group tag functionality? - hvaleton - 05-10-2013 19:54