Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Tutorial] Installing Java on a Synology ARMv5 or PPC NAS
17-04-2014, 18:05
RE: [Tutorial] Installing the 'Java SE for Embedded' package on a Synology NAS
I got it sorted. I had to install Java SE Embedded before I could install Java SE Embedded 7.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
17-04-2014, 18:48
(17-04-2014 18:05)Jota Wrote:  I got it sorted. I had to install Java SE Embedded before I could install Java SE Embedded 7.

The latest update of the 'Java SE for Embedded' package from patters requires to completely uninstall the existing package and to then do a fresh installation.
16-05-2014, 12:11 (This post was last modified: 17-05-2014 18:16 by JedBier.)
(01-10-2013 20:26)winxi Wrote:  Introduction. MinimServer requires Java to run. It is possible to install Java and run MinimServer on a wide range of Synology NAS models, including all the recent ones. For experienced users, installing Java on a Synology should be no problem. However, for the not so experienced users, the solar panel installation may constitute a significant obstacle. This are the users this step-by-step guide is intended for. The Tutorial is based on running DSM 4.3 on a Synology DS211.

Java version. Please note that there are two different versions of Java, namely Java 6 and Java 7. If your NAS is able to run Java 7 (x86 devices are not at the moment), you are recommended to prefer Java 7. However, MinimServer will work with both, Java 6 and Java 7.

Installation methods. Please also note that there are different ways to install Java: using the official Synology package 'Java Manager' or using the 'Java SE for Embedded' package from patters. The former one is only available for x86 Synology devices, the latter one is available for all platforms (x86, ARM and PPC, with the only exception of a few old PPC devices). If you have a x86 based NAS, you are recommended to use the official 'Java Manager' and if you have either an ARM or PPC device, you have to use the 'Java SE for Embedded' package from patters.

Huh, a x86 based NAS? Please check this page to see which CPU your NAS has. If you are still confused about platforms and CPUs, there is an easy way to check whether you have a x86 NAS and thus if you are able to use the official 'Java Manager': just open the Package Center in the Synology DSM (the Synology web interface) and go to the 'All' tab. If you find an installable package named 'Java' there, you have a x86 based NAS and you should proceed with this official package.
The following guide is for the other users who don't have the official 'Java Manager' available and who thus have to use the 'Java SE for Embedded' package.

The short guide. Basically, the installation procedure of the 'Java SE for Embedded' package consists of the following three steps:

1) Adding the repository URL from patters to the Package center.
2) Registering with Oracle, downloading the right Java archive and uploading it to the 'public' shared folder of your NAS.
3) Installing the 'Java SE for Embedded' package using the Package Center.

These steps will be discussed in detail in the following:

1) Adding the repository URL. From the DSM main menu, open the Package Center and click on Settings to open the settings dialog (Screenshot 1). In the settings dialog, go to the Package Sources tab and click on Add. In the Add dialog, copy and paste the repository URL http://packages.pcloadletter.co.uk to the 'Location:' text field and click OK two times to apply the repository URL (Screenshot 2). To check whether adding the repository URL has been successful, go to the Community tab and look for the packages 'Java SE for Embedded 6' or 'Java SE for Embedded 7' (Screenshot 3). If only Java 6 is available, you have to install Java 6, if both Java 6 and Java 7 are available, you should proceed with installing Java 7.

2) Downloading Java. There are various Java downloads from Oracle available. However, you need a specific version for your specific NAS. To check which file you need to download, please click to install the 'Java SE for Embedded' package. This will bring up a 'Failed to install the package' error message containing the exact name of the file you have to download (Screenshot 4). Now, open the link http://www.tinyurl.com/javaembed, register with Oracle and download this very file from the error message. Use the Synology File Station to upload the downloaded file to the 'public' shared folder of your NAS (Screenshot 5).

Note 1) In case you've just set up a new NAS, the 'public' shared folder may not be there. In this case you have to create it manually.
Note 2) Some browsers cause problems when downloading the Java archive in that they rename or extract the downloaded file automatically. If you experience such problems, configure your browser not to open or rename the downloaded file or use another browser.

3) Installing Java. Now repeat installing Java. If everything went fine before, the installation will be successful and you can proceed with installing MinimServer. To check for a working Java installation, open the log of the 'Java SE for Embedded' package in the Package Center. If you see a similar log-message as in Screenshot 6, you are done.

I hope that this tutorial will be useful and I'd appreciate feedback on how to improve it.
Awesome tutorial indeed.. I am just started to work on Java project so the shared information will help me lot..
02-06-2014, 20:57
I installed MinimServer on a Synology DS209. When I go to the status page and enter the content directory, the status goes to Restarting and just stays there. Everything went smooth on my installation until this. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Vic
02-06-2014, 21:27
(02-06-2014 20:57)VicGrubb Wrote:  I installed MinimServer on a Synology DS209. When I go to the status page and enter the content directory, the status goes to Restarting and just stays there. Everything went smooth on my installation until this. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Vic

Welcome to the MinimServer forum!

The status page doesn't refresh automatically. To refresh it, click the 'Refresh status' button. When the status changes to Running, MinimServer should be visible to UPnP control points.
02-06-2014, 21:55
Thanks Simon. It is there. It shows up in JRiver. I look forward to learning about it.
31-07-2014, 13:12
(01-10-2013 20:26)winxi Wrote:  Introduction. MinimServer requires Java to run. It is possible to install Java and run MinimServer on a wide range of Synology NAS models, including all the recent ones. For experienced users, installing Java on a Synology should be no problem. However, for the not so experienced users, the Java installation may constitute a significant obstacle. This are the users this step-by-step guide is intended for. The Tutorial is based on running DSM 4.3 on a Synology DS211.

Java version. Please note that there are two different versions of Java, namely Java 6 and Java 7. If your NAS is able to run Java 7 (x86 devices are not at the moment), you are recommended to prefer Java 7. However, MinimServer will work with both, Java 6 and Java 7.

Installation methods. Please also note that there are different ways to install Java: using the official Synology package 'Java Manager' or using the 'Java SE for Embedded' package from patters. The former one is only available for x86 Synology devices, the latter one is available for all platforms (x86, ARM and PPC, with the only exception of a few old PPC devices). If you have a x86 based NAS, you are recommended to use the official 'Java Manager' and if you have either an ARM or PPC device, you have to use the 'Java SE for Embedded' package from patters.

Huh, a x86 based NAS? Please check this page to see which CPU your NAS has. If you are still confused about platforms and CPUs, there is an easy way to check whether you have a x86 NAS and thus if you are able to use the official 'Java Manager': just open the Package Center in the Synology DSM (the Synology web interface) and go to the 'All' tab. If you find an installable package named 'Java' there, you have a x86 based NAS and you should proceed with this official package.
The following guide is for the other users who don't have the official 'Java Manager' available and who thus have to use the 'Java SE for Embedded' package.

The short guide. Basically, the installation procedure of the 'Java SE for Embedded' package consists of the following three steps:

1) Adding the repository URL from patters to the Package center.
2) Registering with Oracle, downloading the right Java archive and uploading it to the 'public' shared folder of your NAS.
3) Installing the 'Java SE for Embedded' package using the Package Center.

These steps will be discussed in detail in the following:

1) Adding the repository URL. From the DSM main menu, open the Package Center and click on Settings to open the settings dialog (Screenshot 1). In the settings dialog, go to the Package Sources tab and click on Add. In the Add dialog, copy and paste the repository URL http://packages.pcloadletter.co.uk to the 'Location:' text field and click OK two times to apply the repository URL (Screenshot 2). To check whether adding the repository URL has been successful, go to the Community tab and look for the packages 'Java SE for Embedded 6' or 'Java SE for Embedded 7' (Screenshot 3). If only Java 6 is available, you have to install Java 6, if both Java 6 and Java 7 are available, you should proceed with installing Java 7.

2) Downloading Java. There are various Java downloads from Oracle available. However, you need a specific version for your specific NAS. To check which file you need to download, please click to install the 'Java SE for Embedded' package. This will bring up a 'Failed to install the package' error message containing the exact name of the file you have to download (Screenshot 4). Now, open the link http://www.tinyurl.com/javaembed, register with Oracle and download this very file from the error message. Use the Synology File Station to upload the downloaded file to the 'public' shared folder of your NAS (Screenshot 5).

Note 1) In case you've just set up a new NAS, the 'public' shared folder may not be there. In this case you have to create it manually.
Note 2) Some browsers cause problems when downloading the Java archive in that they rename or extract the downloaded file automatically. If you experience such problems, configure your browser not to open or rename the downloaded file or use another browser.

3) Installing Java. Now repeat installing Java. If everything went fine before, the installation will be successful and you can proceed with installing MinimServer. To check for a working Java installation, open the log of the 'Java SE for Embedded' package in the Package Center. If you see a similar log-message as in Screenshot 6, you are done.

I hope that this tutorial will be useful and I'd appreciate feedback on how to improve it.

Hi - this is an excellent tutorial. Many thanks for posting it. Short of you coming round and actually installing it for me, I don't see how you could have made things simpler. Great work.

ATB, Ken
23-10-2014, 21:31
Hello, am new to this and up until "screenshot 4" all went very smoothly. The error message I'm getting is per following/ attached screenshot, same result if trying to install JAVA 6,7 or now 8.

any thoughts/ suggestions how to overcome this? my NAS is a sinology DS212J.

thanks, M

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

23-10-2014, 22:32
(23-10-2014 21:31)Mbraham Wrote:  Hello, am new to this and up until "screenshot 4" all went very smoothly. The error message I'm getting is per following/ attached screenshot, same result if trying to install JAVA 6,7 or now 8.

any thoughts/ suggestions how to overcome this? my NAS is a sinology DS212J.

thanks, M

The correct file should be:

(for Java 7) ejre-7u71-fcs-b14-linux-arm-sflt-headless-26_sep_2014.tar.gz
(for Java 8) ejdk-8u6-fcs-b23-linux-arm-sflt-12_jun_2014.tar.gz

Don't install Java 6; MinimServer won't be supporting this for much longer.
26-10-2014, 15:55
thanks a lot for this, all working fine now.

best, M