Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Tutorial] Installing Java on a Synology ARMv5 or PPC NAS
22-10-2015, 08:05
RE: [Tutorial] Installing Java on a Synology ARMv5 or PPC NAS
(21-10-2015 23:37)fbauer Wrote:  OK, at the moment the correct package seems to be available here:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/cn/jav...1-zhs.html

Hopefully this will help others until everything gets updated to the latest Java version. It looks like 8u51 has security issues, so hopefully the need for this will be short lived.

Thanks for the pointer. This should help other users.

The Synology ARMv5 Java installer isn't part of MinimServer. The installer package is maintained by patters and is described on this page. It is unfortunate that this package is tied to a specific version of Java and needs to be updated manually every time the Java version moves forward.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-11-2015, 10:02 (This post was last modified: 02-11-2015 11:02 by sph2701.)
I am now having this exact same problem.
I deleted the original java as was told to do, and now I get the same message as above.
Unfortunately the link above fails to work, so now I am completely stuck.

I initially deleted the old Java version as Minim had 'stopped' and simply refused to start, so I thought maybe it really did need the new version of java. Have not updated to 'el capitain' yet, but would appreciate any help - I need my tunes back!
Everything was working fine yesterday :-(

*note* the link does download (confused by the chinese 'agree to' initially) but still has the same problem of not recognising.
Will keep trying for now, but really wish I had not opened this can of worms - again.
02-11-2015, 12:00
The 8u51 version of Java SE Embedded is still available from this page.

MinimServer supports all versions of Java from Java 7 upwards. If something is wrong with MinimServer, this would not be caused by having a slightly older version of Java installed.
02-11-2015, 16:27
I seem to be going round in circles, any help with this would be appreciated.
The Patters link is obviously correct as Java 7 & 8 are available in the communities tab. I click install and the usual dialogue failed to upload appears as per screenshots?
Am I doing something really silly here?
I know this is an older NAS and that newer Synology drives all come with Minim ready to go, which is great.
[Image: Screen%20Shot%202015-11-02%20at%2015.14....vql0l5.png]
[Image: Screen%20Shot%202015-11-02%20at%2015.15....xzbl1b.png]
02-11-2015, 16:56
After re reading the whole thing, a recent Safari update had re set to unpack any downloads on completion, so was altering it from GZ to TZ . Thats that one sorted. Hope this may help anyone else going through this. I now remember having to do this in the dim / distant past.
MinimServer now 'running' again and we have tunes.
02-11-2015, 17:11
The screenshots show that you have uploaded a TAR file to the Synology. The patters installer requires the original .tar.gz file.

When you download a .tar.gz file using Safari on a Mac, it is automatically extracted to a .tar file by default. You can override this and save it as a .tar.gz file by using Alt-click or Ctrl-click to do the download. Before you do this, drag the incorrect .tar version to the Trash. When the download is complete, check that the downloaded file is named ejdk-8u51-linux-arm-sflt.tar.gz.

Before you upload this .tar.gz file to the Synology using File Station, delete the .tar file that is in the public folder and also delete the ejdk1.8.0_51 folder. After the upload, File Station should show that the public folder contains a file named ejdk-8u51-linux-arm-sflt.tar.gz.
21-12-2015, 23:02
vassago thank you very mach from Russia
26-01-2016, 01:26 (This post was last modified: 26-01-2016 01:43 by DSK.)
Hi,

I just uninstalled older Java SE version and installed the new ejdk-8u71-linux-arm-sflt.tar.gz version on my DS212. At the end it said that the installation was successful. It shows correctly in the installed packages section but has a status of stopped. The only option available under the Action dropdown box is Uninstall.

Probably a silly question but how do I "start" it now that it is installed? I have googled everything and can't find anything.

I have attached the log ... the top line doesn't seem right, although the installation said it was successful. Rebooting the NAS made no difference.

Any ideas?

I uninstalled MinimServer and went to install the latest version but it complains that Java is not started correctly.

Thanks.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

26-01-2016, 10:20
(26-01-2016 01:26)DSK Wrote:  Hi,

I just uninstalled older Java SE version and installed the new ejdk-8u71-linux-arm-sflt.tar.gz version on my DS212. At the end it said that the installation was successful. It shows correctly in the installed packages section but has a status of stopped. The only option available under the Action dropdown box is Uninstall.

Probably a silly question but how do I "start" it now that it is installed? I have googled everything and can't find anything.

I have attached the log ... the top line doesn't seem right, although the installation said it was successful. Rebooting the NAS made no difference.

Any ideas?

I uninstalled MinimServer and went to install the latest version but it complains that Java is not started correctly.

Thanks.

From the log, it looks like Java didn't install correctly. Can you contact the author of the java package (patters) about this?
01-04-2016, 18:22
Slightly different question but how do I point Minim towards the music folder on a DS212j? I am running DSM 6.0-7321

Thank you.