Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can't seem to install on a QNAP TS-421
28-09-2013, 05:18
Can't seem to install on a QNAP TS-421
I just got a QNAP TS-421 to run Minimserver and am finding this is over my head.
It seems like the interface for the 421 is perhaps newer than what's described in the Installing section of the Minimserver website. I'm not sure what the QPKG Center is. I have an App Center where I can manually install. Is that the same thing.
I think I have Java 7 installed. Initially when I tried to run the JRE_7 file I got a message saying it wasn't finding the package--but then the log file a bit later said it was installed successfully.
When I used the manual install though to install the MinimServer-0.72-arm.qpkg file, I get an error message saying "the following can not be installed... see the system logs." But the system logs don't show any error message.
Thanks,
John
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
28-09-2013, 10:49
RE: Can't seem to install on a QNAP TS-421
(28-09-2013 05:18)jcchristopher Wrote:  I just got a QNAP TS-421 to run Minimserver and am finding this is over my head.
It seems like the interface for the 421 is perhaps newer than what's described in the Installing section of the Minimserver website. I'm not sure what the QPKG Center is. I have an App Center where I can manually install. Is that the same thing.

Yes, it's the same thing.

Quote:I think I have Java 7 installed. Initially when I tried to run the JRE_7 file I got a message saying it wasn't finding the package--but then the log file a bit later said it was installed successfully.

I think you probably don't have Java 7 installed. The JRE_7 QPKG doesn't contain Java 7. It's just an installer that looks for a Java 7 archive in a specific location on the NAS and unpacks that archive. Which browser did you use to download the Java 7 archive from Oracle? What is the exact name and file extension of the Java 7 archive that has been copied to the Public share of your NAS? Please check the contents of the Public share of your NAS and copy and paste the exact filename that you see there.

Quote:When I used the manual install though to install the MinimServer-0.72-arm.qpkg file, I get an error message saying "the following can not be installed... see the system logs." But the system logs don't show any error message.
Thanks,
John

I haven't seen this message and I don't know what would cause it. Where exactly did you see this message?

To get MinimServer installed and running, you will need to do the following:

1) Uninstall the MinimServer package and the JRE installer package
2) Make sure you have copied the correct Java 7 archive file to the correct location on the NAS
3) Install the JRE installer package
4) Enable the JRE installer package
5) Install the MinimServer package
28-09-2013, 14:38 (This post was last modified: 28-09-2013 15:09 by jcchristopher.)
Thanks for getting back to me so soon Simon.
The package I have in the public share is ejre-7u40-fcs-b43-linux-arm-vfp-sflt-server-headless-27-aug2013.tar.gz
After downloading it with Safari it was missing the gz suffix, so I manually added that. It does show in the log that it's installed, though initially right after the manual install there was an error message.
I just tried downloading the 6/7 version of the package (this time with Firefox). And again the log shows it installs but I still get the same error message when going to manually install the minim server.qpkg file. And the error does not appear in the log.
How do I uninstall Java on the QNAP (assuming it's installed)?

Also in Finder, under the Shared section, I now have three entries 'icc-qnap' 'JCC-QNAP(AFP)' and 'JCC-QNAP(SMB)' -- is that normal? It seems they all show the same file structure.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

28-09-2013, 15:22 (This post was last modified: 28-09-2013 15:26 by simoncn.)
(28-09-2013 14:38)jcchristopher Wrote:  Thanks for getting back to me so soon Simon.
The package I have in the public share is ejre-7u40-fcs-b43-linux-arm-vfp-sflt-server-headless-27-aug2013.tar.gz
After downloading it with Safari it was missing the gz suffix, so I manually added that. It does show in the log that it's installed, though initially right after the manual install there was an error message.

This is the same problem as described in this post.

To fix it, you need to do the following:

1) In your Safari preferences (General page), uncheck the box at the bottom of the page (Open "safe" files after downloading)

2) Delete all previously downloaded Java SE Embedded files from the Downloads folder on the Mac

3) Download the Java SE Embedded file again

4) Check the Downloads folder to make sure this has produced a file with the .tar.gz extension and a different size than the previous downloaded file

5) Delete all Java SE Embedded files from the Public folder on the QNAP

6) Copy the newly downloaded Java SE Embedded file from the Mac to the Public folder on the QNAP

7) Uninstall the MinimServer package and the JRE installer package from the QNAP

8) Install the QNAP JRE installer package (JRE_7 version)

9) Enable the QNAP JRE installer package

10) Install the QNAP MinimServer package

Quote:I just tried downloading the 6/7 version of the package. And again the log shows it installs but I still get the same error message when going to manually install the minim server.qpkg file. And the error does not appear in the log.

If "the 6/7 version of the package" refers to an older version of the QNAP JRE installer package, you should not use this older version. You should use the JRE_7 version, as linked from the MinimServer installation instructions.

Quote:Also in Finder, under the Shared section, I now have three entries 'icc-qnap' 'JCC-QNAP(AFP)' and 'JCC-QNAP(SMB)' -- is that normal? It seems they all show the same file structure.

This is probably related to the file sharing services that you have enabled on the QNAP. AFP and SMB are different file sharing protocols. You probably have both of these enabled.
28-09-2013, 18:38 (This post was last modified: 28-09-2013 18:40 by jcchristopher.)
Thanks. So I followed all the steps but was not able to uninstall the JRE or MinimServer--they didn't show up as Apps and I couldn't find any indication they were installed.
But I was successful in getting JRE installed (see attachment).
But I still get the same error message (without a log entry) when I try to manually install the MinimServer package.
And hate to ask a dumb question... but where do I want to copy my iTunes library to on the QNAP?

28-09-2013, 19:53 (This post was last modified: 28-09-2013 19:54 by simoncn.)
(28-09-2013 18:38)jcchristopher Wrote:  Thanks. So I followed all the steps but was not able to uninstall the JRE or MinimServer--they didn't show up as Apps and I couldn't find any indication they were installed.
But I still get the same error message (without a log entry) when I try to manually install the MinimServer package.
And hate to ask a dumb question... but where do I want to copy my iTunes library to on the QNAP?

To check that Java has been installed successfully, please login to the QNAP using the ssh command from Terminal on the Mac. To do this, you need to enter the command

ssh admin@xx.xx.xx.xx

where xx.xx.xx.xx is the IP address of the QNAP on your LAN.

When you have logged in, type

/usr/local/jre/bin/java -version

The output should be something like:

Java(TM) SE Embedded Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_10-b18, headless)
Java HotSpot(TM) Embedded Client VM (build 23.6-b04, mixed mode)

Do you see something like this?

Please also post a screenshot of the error message you are getting when you try to install MinimServer.

I'd prefer to defer the iTunes discussion until you have successfully installed MinimServer. One step at a time....
28-09-2013, 20:12
(28-09-2013 19:53)simoncn Wrote:  
(28-09-2013 18:38)jcchristopher Wrote:  Thanks. So I followed all the steps but was not able to uninstall the JRE or MinimServer--they didn't show up as Apps and I couldn't find any indication they were installed.

To check that Java has been installed successfully, please login to the QNAP using the ssh command from Terminal on the Mac. To do this, you need to enter the command

ssh admin@xx.xx.xx.xx

where xx.xx.xx.xx is the IP address of the QNAP on your LAN.

When you have logged in, type

/usr/local/jre/bin/java -version

The output should be something like:

Java(TM) SE Embedded Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_10-b18, headless)
Java HotSpot(TM) Embedded Client VM (build 23.6-b04, mixed mode)

Do you see something like this?

Please also post a screenshot of the error message you are getting when you try to install MinimServer.

I'd prefer to defer the iTunes discussion until you have successfully installed MinimServer. One step at a time....

I'm getting and Illegal Instruction response back from Terminal
Attached is the error message from the install

28-09-2013, 20:26
(28-09-2013 20:12)jcchristopher Wrote:  I'm getting and Illegal Instruction response back from Terminal

This means you have installed the wrong version of Java. Please post again the exact filename of the Java archive that you copied to the Public share of the QNAP.

Quote:Attached is the error message from the install

This message is telling you that you are trying to install the MinimServer download for ReadyNAS on a QNAP. You need to use the MinimServer download for QNAP ARM. However, this won't work until you have the correct version of Java installed.
28-09-2013, 20:35
Here's a screenshot of what I downloaded

28-09-2013, 20:56 (This post was last modified: 28-09-2013 20:57 by jcchristopher.)
Sorry, I did earlier download the wrong version of the java package (got confused between Java 7 and v5). So I uninstalled it.
But with the seemingly correct ARMv5 package I get an error message and can't install Java. But the log shows it did install and the App then shows.
At that point I tried to manually install MinimServer package and run into the same error message.