Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Readynas 104 with Marvell Armada
23-09-2013, 23:52
Readynas 104 with Marvell Armada
Will Minimserver run on Marvell Armada chip? If so which version of the software would I download? Anything special to know about installing?
Thanks,
John
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
24-09-2013, 11:02 (This post was last modified: 24-09-2013 11:03 by simoncn.)
RE: Readynas 104 with Marvell Armada
(23-09-2013 23:52)jcchristopher Wrote:  Will Minimserver run on Marvell Armada chip? If so which version of the software would I download? Anything special to know about installing?
Thanks,
John

MinimServer does run on the Marvell Armada chip.

There is a MinimServer installation package for ReadyNAS, but this was developed for the previous model range (Duo/NV+/Ultra) which uses an older level of firmware. To support the ReadyNAS 104 and other models in the new range, I would need to create a new installation package that is compatible with the ReadyNAS OS 6 firmware. I'm trying to find out how to do this, but the necessary information is proving very difficult to obtain.

I'll post an update here when I have any more news about this.
24-09-2013, 16:26
Thanks.
Any suggestions for how to proceed in the meantime? Minimwatch? My Readynas gets delivered today.
John

(24-09-2013 11:02)simoncn Wrote:  
(23-09-2013 23:52)jcchristopher Wrote:  Will Minimserver run on Marvell Armada chip? If so which version of the software would I download? Anything special to know about installing?
Thanks,
John

MinimServer does run on the Marvell Armada chip.

There is a MinimServer installation package for ReadyNAS, but this was developed for the previous model range (Duo/NV+/Ultra) which uses an older level of firmware. To support the ReadyNAS 104 and other models in the new range, I would need to create a new installation package that is compatible with the ReadyNAS OS 6 firmware. I'm trying to find out how to do this, but the necessary information is proving very difficult to obtain.

I'll post an update here when I have any more news about this.
24-09-2013, 19:28 (This post was last modified: 24-09-2013 19:29 by simoncn.)
(24-09-2013 16:26)jcchristopher Wrote:  Thanks.
Any suggestions for how to proceed in the meantime? Minimwatch? My Readynas gets delivered today.
John

Your only option is to try to install the existing MinimServer 0.72 ReadyNAS ARM download. From the information I have been able to find, this is unlikely to be successful.
24-09-2013, 21:01
Do you think I should return the ReadyNas and get a QNAPS (maybe the TS-421)?
(24-09-2013 19:28)simoncn Wrote:  
(24-09-2013 16:26)jcchristopher Wrote:  Thanks.
John

Your only option is to try to install the existing MinimServer 0.72 ReadyNAS ARM download. From the information I have been able to find, this is unlikely to be successful.
24-09-2013, 21:24
(24-09-2013 21:01)jcchristopher Wrote:  Do you think I should return the ReadyNas and get a QNAPS (maybe the TS-421)?

If you want to run MinimServer on your new NAS, and you don't want to wait a few weeks (at least) to be able to do this, you would be better off with a QNAP or Synology.

I find it very surprising that NETGEAR have introduced a new ReadyNAS range with a new operating system that doesn't run on the previous hardware and doesn't support existing add-on applications.