Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Composition - title
22-09-2013, 15:42
Composition - title
Hi, while Minim (0.72) works perfectly with the Album, Artist, Track constellation I am having problems with classical music. Here I use MP3tag to create a composition tag in addition to Orchestra, Conductor. The problem is at the last step, I am playing a composition (i.e. a group of tracks on an album) but all I get is the track title. e.g. "Allegro ma non troppo" but the composition is missing "Concerto for Violin and Orchestra in D Major" in the title display field.
I tried using the tagFormat as Title.displayFormat={$composition^^ - $title}, but seems not work for me... Any help would be most appreciated.
Files are in FLAC, Minim is running on Windows 7, Player is a Denon AVR - X1000, but have also seen the same problem with other (android) renderers e.g. Bubble, Kinsky...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
22-09-2013, 19:25
RE: Composition - title
(22-09-2013 15:42)HCau1 Wrote:  Hi, while Minim (0.72) works perfectly with the Album, Artist, Track constellation I am having problems with classical music. Here I use MP3tag to create a composition tag in addition to Orchestra, Conductor. The problem is at the last step, I am playing a composition (i.e. a group of tracks on an album) but all I get is the track title. e.g. "Allegro ma non troppo" but the composition is missing "Concerto for Violin and Orchestra in D Major" in the title display field.
I tried using the tagFormat as Title.displayFormat={$composition^^ - $title}, but seems not work for me... Any help would be most appreciated.
Files are in FLAC, Minim is running on Windows 7, Player is a Denon AVR - X1000, but have also seen the same problem with other (android) renderers e.g. Bubble, Kinsky...

I can't see anything obviously wrong with what you've done. Some things to check:

1) Have you used the MinimServer aliasTags property to rename your Composition tags to something else?

2) Are you sure that your files contain Composition tags? You can check this by looking to see if MinimServer is showing a Composition index entry. If you don't already have Composition in indexTags, you would need to add this and restart MinimServer.

3) Did you restart MinimServer after adding Title.displayFormat={$composition^^ - $title} to tagFormat?
22-09-2013, 20:13
(22-09-2013 19:25)simoncn Wrote:  
(22-09-2013 15:42)HCau1 Wrote:  Hi, while Minim (0.72) works perfectly with the Album, Artist, Track constellation I am having problems with classical music. Here I use MP3tag to create a composition tag in addition to Orchestra, Conductor. The problem is at the last step, I am playing a composition (i.e. a group of tracks on an album) but all I get is the track title. e.g. "Allegro ma non troppo" but the composition is missing "Concerto for Violin and Orchestra in D Major" in the title display field.

I can't see anything obviously wrong with what you've done. Some things to check:

1) Have you used the MinimServer aliasTags property to rename your Composition tags to something else?

2) Are you sure that your files contain Composition tags? You can check this by looking to see if MinimServer is showing a Composition index entry. If you don't already have Composition in indexTags, you would need to add this and restart MinimServer.

3) Did you restart MinimServer after adding Title.displayFormat={$composition^^ - $title} to tagFormat?

Hi Simon, thanks for your prompt response. The alias tags is blank - I am not using it. The files contain the composition tags, as the composition option is used to navigate to the final track. Indeed I also rebooted the computer just to make sure. I noticed I had made a mistake and added a extra blank after "title", once that removed I could get things working in both the Linn app and the Denon app. However the Denon AVR X-1000 player itself seems oblivious of the composition element of the title and simply uses title. I have a suspicion that it could be the Denon X-1000 itself - though I have no idea why, I thought Minim would simply be serving up a string with the contents "Composition - Title". The Denon has a few other strange things but that belongs in another thread... So to summarise - the Denon finishes all navigation (i.e. its play screen) with Title, Artist, Album (and that is indeed what the tags have) , any idea how to substitute other data (at least for the Genre "Classical) i.e. Composition - Title for Title ?
22-09-2013, 20:42
(22-09-2013 20:13)HCau1 Wrote:  Hi Simon, thanks for your prompt response. The alias tags is blank - I am not using it. The files contain the composition tags, as the composition option is used to navigate to the final track. Indeed I also rebooted the computer just to make sure. I noticed I had made a mistake and added a extra blank after "title", once that removed I could get things working in both the Linn app and the Denon app. However the Denon AVR X-1000 player itself seems oblivious of the composition element of the title and simply uses title. I have a suspicion that it could be the Denon X-1000 itself - though I have no idea why, I thought Minim would simply be serving up a string with the contents "Composition - Title". The Denon has a few other strange things but that belongs in another thread... So to summarise - the Denon finishes all navigation (i.e. its play screen) with Title, Artist, Album (and that is indeed what the tags have) , any idea how to substitute other data (at least for the Genre "Classical) i.e. Composition - Title for Title ?

From what you have said, it sounds like the Denon AVR X-1000 player is reading Title/Artist/Album information from the tags in the streamed audio file instead of getting it from the control point (which is getting the correct formatted information from MinimServer). Can you contact Denon to confirm this? If so, this would mean it isn't possible to use MinimServer to customize the information that the Denon AVR X-1000 is displaying.
22-09-2013, 20:47
(22-09-2013 20:42)simoncn Wrote:  
(22-09-2013 20:13)HCau1 Wrote:  Hi Simon, thanks for your prompt response. The alias tags is blank - I am not using it. The files contain the composition tags, as the composition option is used to navigate to the final track. Indeed I also rebooted the computer just to make sure. I noticed I had made a mistake and added a extra blank after "title", once that removed I could get things working in both the Linn app and the Denon app. However the Denon AVR X-1000 player itself seems oblivious of the composition element of the title and simply uses title. I have a suspicion that it could be the Denon X-1000 itself - though I have no idea why, I thought Minim would simply be serving up a string with the contents "Composition - Title". The Denon has a few other strange things but that belongs in another thread... So to summarise - the Denon finishes all navigation (i.e. its play screen) with Title, Artist, Album (and that is indeed what the tags have) , any idea how to substitute other data (at least for the Genre "Classical) i.e. Composition - Title for Title ?

From what you have said, it sounds like the Denon AVR X-1000 player is reading Title/Artist/Album information from the tags in the streamed audio file instead of getting it from the control point (which is getting the correct formatted information from MinimServer). Can you contact Denon to confirm this? If so, this would mean it isn't possible to use MinimServer to customize the information that the Denon AVR X-1000 is displaying.

Hi, I've a Denon DNP F109 network player. I observe the same when streaming FLAC files (the Denon reads the tags from the files and doesn't show the customized strings from MinimServer).
A workaround for the F109 is to activate transcoding to WAV in MinimServer. The transcoded WAV stream doesn't contain tags and thus the F109 will show the customized strings from MinimServer. Maybe this works for your Denon device also.
23-09-2013, 18:19 (This post was last modified: 23-09-2013 18:24 by HCau1.)
(22-09-2013 20:47)winxi Wrote:  

Hi, I've a Denon DNP F109 network player. I observe the same when streaming FLAC files (the Denon reads the tags from the files and doesn't show the customized strings from MinimServer).
A workaround for the F109 is to activate transcoding to WAV in MinimServer. The transcoded WAV stream doesn't contain tags and thus the F109 will show the customized strings from MinimServer. Maybe this works for your Denon device also.

Many thanks winxi & Simoncn, that did the trick, I turned on WAV transcoding and now all the MINIM server custom tags are behaving exactly as Minim indicates it should. So for the interim suffice it to say that Minimserver and a Denon AVR X-1000 are now working happily with custom tags (e.g. Composer, composition etc), other genres are being handled perfectly in their normal way (Album, Artist, Track etc.), as suggested I shall pick this up with Denon to confirm what is going on. :)
23-09-2013, 18:21

Many thanks Simoncn, I'll contact Denon and post an update
23-09-2013, 18:22

Many thanks Simoncn, I'll contact Denon and post an update