Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Conflicting album artist values
24-06-2012, 12:46
RE: Conflicting album artist values
(24-06-2012 00:10)simoncn Wrote:  It would be great if all the record companies and music databases could use a consistent standard for tagging.

It would be great, but in reality even the tagging on disc 1 and 2 of some double albums I bought was inconsistent.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
24-06-2012, 12:49
(24-06-2012 00:10)simoncn Wrote:  [...] my initial support for this in MinimServer was to combine all the discs and renumber the tracks. [...] I was surprised at how many people didn't want this, but wanted to see "discs" when browsing their collection.

May be it's because of 'missing information'?
24-06-2012, 15:31 (This post was last modified: 24-06-2012 15:33 by bbrip.)
@ Dieter:

Always these Germans with their bl@@dy engineering perfectionism Big Grin

If you now also vote for being able to put more than one Artist into the ALBUMARTIST tag, we may have turned Simon around Wink - and TRULY get a ground breaking music server !!

Gruss aus Frankfurt
24-06-2012, 15:36 (This post was last modified: 24-06-2012 15:54 by bbrip.)
(24-06-2012 12:46)Dieter Stockert Wrote:  
(24-06-2012 00:10)simoncn Wrote:  It would be great if all the record companies and music databases could use a consistent standard for tagging.

It would be great, but in reality even the tagging on disc 1 and 2 of some double albums I bought was inconsistent.

I agree with Dieter. For ripping CDs the databases (freedb etc.) are filled with "tagging junk". That for sure will never get cleaned up. And for new albums going forward I think such standardisation will just never happen. Just too complex. There are already too many 'dialects' and interpretations of tagging standards around. Look at the tags on the CHANDOS Records site: Hopeless! Again, only Hyperion gets it about right. The user will have to make up his mind in the end how he wants to organize things. And a good server software should give him 'powerful hints' to move him in the right direction.

I think some of the guiding suggestions on your webpage are a great step in the right direction.

bbrip
26-06-2012, 21:02
(23-06-2012 17:58)simoncn Wrote:  Option 1:

Add support for custom sorting without changing how the artist name appears in the tag. So the tag
ARTIST=Anne-Sophie Mutter
woould be sorted under M in a list of artists. The name would appear as Anne-Sophie Mutter in the Artist and All Artists index and on the control point.

The sort order would be decided using a combination of rules and exceptions. For example, a "last name first" rule would create a sort key that starts with the last word (blank-separated). For cases where this rule would produce the wrong result, you'd be able to define individual exceptions for specific artists.

I like this idea and approach very much! It would be nice to be able to sort like this (something I've wanted ever since getting into ds's and streaming) without having to retag the collection, so both sort options would be possible.
26-06-2012, 23:19
(24-06-2012 15:36)bbrip Wrote:  
(24-06-2012 12:46)Dieter Stockert Wrote:  

I agree with Dieter. For ripping CDs the databases (freedb etc.) are filled with "tagging junk". That for sure will never get cleaned up. And for new albums going forward I think such standardisation will just never happen. Just too complex. There are already too many 'dialects' and interpretations of tagging standards around. Look at the tags on the CHANDOS Records site: Hopeless! Again, only Hyperion gets it about right. The user will have to make up his mind in the end how he wants to organize things. And a good server software should give him 'powerful hints' to move him in the right direction.

I respectfully disagree. This DIY approach will work for a few enthusiasts, but it won't work for the majority of people who'll be converting from CDs to audio files in the next few years. Unless the "open standards" part of the industry gets its act together with reasonable standards for tagging, and reasonable tools for applying these standards to people's collections, there's no chance of an open standards-based solution being broadly adopted.

Quote:I think some of the guiding suggestions on your webpage are a great step in the right direction.

Thanks! I'd like to extend this and use it to try to start a discussion with some content providers in the fairly near future....but not until after I've got the next MinimServer release out with fixes for the bugs that people have found in 0.51.