Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
can't find java on synology 213j
17-09-2013, 14:45
can't find java on synology 213j
Hello,
I've just installed a Synology 213j NAS and have followed the instructions for installing Minimserver.
1/ I installed the Java SE for embedded package (using ejre-7u40-fcs-b43-linux-arm-vfp-hflt-client_headless-27_aug_2013.tar.gz). It installed and says it's running.
2/ I installed MinimServer 0.72 (using MinimServer-0.72.1-arm.spk) and it installed.

However MinimServer can't start and the log says :
" sh: /volume1/@appstore/java7/jre/bin/java: not found "

I've looked but haven't found a solution (I admit to not being a NAS expert, although I did play around with Linux for a while when it first came out).

MinimServer worked fine when I installed it on my Mac (OSX 10.8).

In case it helps, I notice that there are "home" and "homes" sharepoints on the NAS, and the MinimServer folder is in "homes".

Can you please help ?
Regards, charlesw
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
17-09-2013, 15:12
RE: can't find java on synology 213j
(17-09-2013 14:45)charlesw Wrote:  Hello,
I've just installed a Synology 213j NAS and have followed the instructions for installing Minimserver.
1/ I installed the Java SE for embedded package (using ejre-7u40-fcs-b43-linux-arm-vfp-hflt-client_headless-27_aug_2013.tar.gz). It installed and says it's running.
2/ I installed MinimServer 0.72 (using MinimServer-0.72.1-arm.spk) and it installed.

However MinimServer can't start and the log says :
" sh: /volume1/@appstore/java7/jre/bin/java: not found "

I've looked but haven't found a solution (I admit to not being a NAS expert, although I did play around with Linux for a while when it first came out).

MinimServer worked fine when I installed it on my Mac (OSX 10.8).

In case it helps, I notice that there are "home" and "homes" sharepoints on the NAS, and the MinimServer folder is in "homes".

Can you please help ?
Regards, charlesw

Hi,

please log in to your NAS using telnet or SSH and post the output of the command 'which java'.
To be able to log in, you may have to activate telnet or SSH using the DSM Control Panel -> Terminal. Use 'root' as username and your admin password.

Please also have a look at the log of the Java package and post the value of the JAVA_HOME variable. Thanks!
17-09-2013, 15:45
telnet which java gives :
/volume1/@appstore/java7/jre/bin/java

echo JAVA_HOME gives :
/volume1/@appstore/java7/jre

Which even to me looks different !
Is this enough, I'm afraid I'll need to dig out my old UNIX manual to find the log of the Java package (couldn't find anything in the package manager or in the System logs).

charles
17-09-2013, 15:52
(17-09-2013 15:45)charlesw Wrote:  telnet which java gives :
/volume1/@appstore/java7/jre/bin/java

echo JAVA_HOME gives :
/volume1/@appstore/java7/jre

Which even to me looks different !

This looks okay.

Quote:Is this enough, I'm afraid I'll need to dig out my old UNIX manual to find the log of the Java package (couldn't find anything in the package manager or in the System logs).

charles

Sorry that I wasn't clear enough. I've meant the Java log in the DSM package center. So you won't need your old Unix manual Wink

Where did you see the message 'sh: /volume1/@appstore/java7/jre/bin/java: not found' which you mentioned in your first post?
17-09-2013, 16:04
It came up in the System log when I installed (or try to start) MinimServer, and it's in the "homes/minimserver/appData/minimserver-out.log".

Found the java log. It has :
var/packages/java7/scripts/postinst: line 28: java: not found

followed by a bunch of installed locales and ends with

JAVA_HOME=/volume1/@appstore/java7/jre
TZ=Asia/Amman
17-09-2013, 17:21
(17-09-2013 16:04)charlesw Wrote:  It came up in the System log when I installed (or try to start) MinimServer, and it's in the "homes/minimserver/appData/minimserver-out.log".

Found the java log. It has :
var/packages/java7/scripts/postinst: line 28: java: not found

followed by a bunch of installed locales and ends with

JAVA_HOME=/volume1/@appstore/java7/jre
TZ=Asia/Amman

Please try the command 'java -version'.
If this still gives a not found error, please check the permissions of the file /volume1/@appstore/java7/jre/bin/java and also post the output of the command 'ldd /volume1/@appstore/java7/jre/bin/java'.
Many thanks!
17-09-2013, 17:59
(17-09-2013 14:45)charlesw Wrote:  1/ I installed the Java SE for embedded package (using ejre-7u40-fcs-b43-linux-arm-vfp-hflt-client_headless-27_aug_2013.tar.gz). It installed and says it's running.

I think you need to use the soft-float version of Java:

ejre-7u40-fcs-b43-linux-arm-vfp-sflt-client_headless-27_aug_2013.tar.gz
17-09-2013, 18:17
(17-09-2013 17:59)simoncn Wrote:  I think you need to use the soft-float version of Java:

ejre-7u40-fcs-b43-linux-arm-vfp-sflt-client_headless-27_aug_2013.tar.gz

I think that Java SE package from patters requires the hard-float version of Java for the DS213j.
If this turns out to be the problem, patters should be informed at his blog: http://pcloadletter.co.uk/2011/08/23/jav...-synology/.
17-09-2013, 18:24
before installing the new package I've checked the permissions on /volume1/@appstore/java7/jre/bin/java. -rwxr-xr-x
the ldd command says "ldd not found" however (using ssh as root).
charles
17-09-2013, 18:31
(17-09-2013 18:17)winxi Wrote:  I think that Java SE package from patters requires the hard-float version of Java for the DS213j.
If this turns out to be the problem, patters should be informed at his blog: http://pcloadletter.co.uk/2011/08/23/jav...-synology/.

The DS213j armada370 version of MinimServer is built for soft float. Some DS213j users have been able to run this successfully, which seems to imply that Java also needs to be built for soft float.