Post Reply 
Transcoding and convolution
14-12-2025, 14:43 (This post was last modified: 14-12-2025 14:45 by Amused.)
Post: #1
Transcoding and convolution
Hello, my first post here.

I would like to make transcoding and convolution work through UPnP/DLNA and my understanding is such a task is possible.

I have minimserver and minimstreamer installed on a PC running Gentooplayer Audio linux, currently with a trial license. My UPnP/DLNA renderer is Bang and Olufsen Beolab 28 (with a built in streamer and DAC). My control app is JPlay.

Everything works perfectly apart from transcoding. I can't get it work. Is it down to the renderer architecture or something else?

This is the output from the log:

GentooPlayerX86 ~ # tail -f /opt/minimserver/data/minimserver.log
second conflicting value: Dave Holland
Warning: conflicting ALBUMARTIST values ignored for album Tony Bennett Celebrates 90
first conflicting value: Michael Buble
first conflicting item: The Good Life
second conflicting value: Andrea Bocelli
second conflicting item: Ave Maria
Library contains 6614 audio files in 772 folders
MinimServer is running
MinimStreamer: transcode setting is 'flac:wav24;'
MinimStreamer: transcode setting is 'flac:wav24, dsf:dopwav;'


When I play a dsf file through the JPlay app, there is no sound coming out of the Beolab 28's, not does it catch any transcoded stream (for example flac stays flac, is not converted to wav24). What might be the issue here?

   
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
14-12-2025, 17:07
Post: #2
RE: Transcoding and convolution
Welcome to the MinimServer forum!

I haven't been able to find out which file formats the Beolab 28 supports. You are transcoding FLAC to WAV24, which should hopefully be OK. You are also transcoding DSF to DoP/WAV which is probably not OK. DoP/WAV is a fairly old unusual format where DSD audio is wrapped in a WAV stream but not sent in native WAV format.

I suggest you use the following settings in stream.transcode:

flac:wav24;, dsf:wav24

Note that the semicolon appears before the comma. This tells MinimStreamer to use FFmpeg for transcoding, which will be necessary if you add convolution later. There is no need for a semicolon in dsf:wav24 because this will automatically use FFmpeg.

The other thing you need to do is to completely reload the MinimServer library into JPLAY after changing any trranscoding settings. If you haven't done this, the transcoding settings will not be applied (as you have seen with FLAC staying as FLAC).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
15-12-2025, 19:14 (This post was last modified: 15-12-2025 19:16 by Amused.)
Post: #3
RE: Transcoding and convolution
Please see the attachments regarding the Beolab 28 formats, jPlay processing and MinimStreamer settings.

jPlay does pick up transcoding from flac to wav, however it does not pick up the test filter for some reason.

I am not sure whether I entered a proper command into the MinimStreamer stream.options.


Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)
           
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
15-12-2025, 19:39 (This post was last modified: 15-12-2025 19:39 by Amused.)
Post: #4
RE: Transcoding and convolution
(14-12-2025 17:07)simoncn Wrote:  Welcome to the MinimServer forum!

I haven't been able to find out which file formats the Beolab 28 supports. You are transcoding FLAC to WAV24, which should hopefully be OK. You are also transcoding DSF to DoP/WAV which is probably not OK. DoP/WAV is a fairly old unusual format where DSD audio is wrapped in a WAV stream but not sent in native WAV format.

I suggest you use the following settings in stream.transcode:

flac:wav24;, dsf:wav24

Note that the semicolon appears before the comma. This tells MinimStreamer to use FFmpeg for transcoding, which will be necessary if you add convolution later. There is no need for a semicolon in dsf:wav24 because this will automatically use FFmpeg.

The other thing you need to do is to completely reload the MinimServer library into JPLAY after changing any trranscoding settings. If you haven't done this, the transcoding settings will not be applied (as you have seen with FLAC staying as FLAC).

Hi Simon,

Yes, I always reload the library after changing settings. Transcoding obviously works (confirmed in the JPlay app itself), but no confirmation regarding the filter, it doesn't pick it up for some reason nor do I hear it in music (the filter is made to distort the sound and should be easily heard).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
15-12-2025, 20:55
Post: #5
RE: Transcoding and convolution
As I explained in post #2, you need to change flac:wav24, dsf:wav; to flac:wav24;, dsf:wav

The semicolon tells MinimStreamer to use FFmpeg to do the FLAC to WAV conversion instead of using MinimStreamer's internal FLAC to WAV converter.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
19-12-2025, 14:15
Post: #6
RE: Transcoding and convolution
Hi Simon, thank you for your reply.

I have managed to create a proper filter (several of them in fact, one for each sample rate) and also to set the proper wildcard command into stream.options, then to resync server data within the JPlay app.

Now I can happily confirm that convolution works like a charm in a UPnP stream from a Linux machine (Gentooplayer Audio) to my Beolab 28 speakers, controlled via the excellent and super responsive JPlay app.

Thanks for everything!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Post Reply 


Forum Jump:


User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)