Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The '<n> albums' sort order (again)
12-09-2013, 09:42
RE: The '<n> albums' sort order (again)
(12-09-2013 00:05)DavidHB Wrote:  This is the post I promised two posts back. I wrote it, then managed to close the browser before I posted it ... Angry

Yesterday's return ferry trip and longish drive to the dealer resulted in an order for an Akurate DSM. That is relevant in the present context because I got to try Kinsky on my Nexus 10, and learned enough to take the view that I shall probably get on with it quite well.

I think you will be very happy with your purchase!

Quote:At the dealer's, Kinsky was paired with Asset UPnP, which didn't seem as responsive as MinimServer (the back end hardware was not visible, so I don't know how the storage was managed; it might have been a ripping NAS, in which case Asset, which only runs on Windows, would have been on a different machine).

The browsing performance of MinimServer is noticeably faster than Asset when both are running on the same hardware. I think this is probably because MinimServer is optimized to hold all the data it needs for browsing in memory.

Quote:Fair enough. Perhaps we users should do more to write up 'tips and tricks' for others. Topics of particular use to new users could perhaps be made 'sticky' at the top of the forum list; new material could be added to these 'stickies' from time to time to form a user compendium. I'm happy to contribute what I've learned so far, but it would be useful to have some guidance on what you consider best practice. My own feeling is that users often find quite detailed step by step guidance to be the best way of getting into something new.

I think the best approach for this would be to create a new section of the forum named something like "Tutorials". Each thread in this list would contain an embedded tutorial document in the first post, followed by discussion. The creator of the thread would be able to update the embedded tutorial document as and when they want. Regarding best practice guidance, I can only suggest that you create a "first draft" document with a format and content that you think is helpful, then put it out there for user review and comment. The users will not be slow to suggest ways to improve it! Smile

Quote:My version of UPnPlay (on the Nexus 10) has just updated itself to 0.0.82, and now, when it is opened, it just goes back to whatever it was doing when it was closed. This is what Android apps typically do, and I can't find a way of changing the behaviour, not that I actually want to.

How did you close UPnPlay? If I close it by using "force quit" from the Apps menu or by powering the tablet off and on, it restarts at the top-level browse menu. If you are "closing" it by switching to a different app, this doesn't actually close UPnPlay but just leaves it runnng in the background. When you switch back to it later, it will resume exactly where it left off. I have confirmed this behaviour with version 0.0.82.

Quote:With the purchase of the DSM, I have committed myself to using MinimServer for (hopefully) the foreseeable future. It therefore seems only fair to make a donation, and this I have done.

David

Thanks very much!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
16-09-2013, 23:00 (This post was last modified: 16-09-2013 23:04 by DavidHB.)
Sorry I couldn't get back sooner. We have a family wedding coming up, and it's starting to take over my life ...

(12-09-2013 09:42)simoncn Wrote:  I think you will be very happy with your purchase!

Thank you; at this moment, you are a better judge of that than I. If UPS tracking is to be believed, that will change tomorrow; experiment and preparation will give way to implementing the new system. I shall probably do some learning with that before starting any more hares.

Quote:The browsing performance of MinimServer is noticeably faster than Asset when both are running on the same hardware. I think this is probably because MinimServer is optimized to hold all the data it needs for browsing in memory.

It seems that, in settling on MinimServer for my initial experiments, I chose better than I knew Smile However, while speed is important, it is MinimServer's range of capabilities that is most significant for me. Chief of these for me is its straightforward installation and reliable running on my NAS. I would now strongly advise anyone wishing to set up a high quality streaming system to invest in a decent NAS on which to run the server.

Quote:I think the best approach for this would be to create a new section of the forum named something like "Tutorials". Each thread in this list would contain an embedded tutorial document in the first post, followed by discussion. The creator of the thread would be able to update the embedded tutorial document as and when they want. Regarding best practice guidance, I can only suggest that you create a "first draft" document with a format and content that you think is helpful, then put it out there for user review and comment. The users will not be slow to suggest ways to improve it! Smile

I should be happy to try this. My first test subject might be the use of MP3Tag to batch produce 'surname first' fields. This, as discussed above, is apposite on this forum (1) because it is a task many MinimServer users will need to undertake routinely, and (2) because at present it seems to be only partially and a bit haphazardly documented, even on the MP3Tag forum. The 'clever' bits are (1) having separate MP3Tag actions for the 'one last name' and 'one first name' cases and (2) using filters to define batches of files that can be dealt with in a single action, and also to identify files where action is needed. But, before I do this, I think I might spend some time with the Akurate Smile

On a more general point, having started reading audio-related forums only recently, I am struck by one quite marked difference from their counterparts related to digital photography. Serious photographers are usually greatly interested in (and often argumentative about) the concept of 'workflow', that is the chain of connected actions and processes running from pre-shoot preparations to presentation of the finished image(s), and usually involving a number of different pieces of hardware and a range of software applications, from a range of producers. By contrast, the concept of workflow seems to be almost absent from the audio-related discussions (though they are often interesting and informative in other ways). Nevertheless, the creation and maintenance of digital music libraries is (quite obviously) a workflow, and it typically involves making hardware and software items from different producers work together as a coherent whole. I am starting to think that the key component of the library workflow is the data structure, and, by extension, the server software which presents that structure to the rest of the system. If that is the case, this forum would be a good place for workflow-related discussions, if anyone else is interested, that is ...

Quote:How did you close UPnPlay? If I close it by using "force quit" from the Apps menu or by powering the tablet off and on, it restarts at the top-level browse menu. If you are "closing" it by switching to a different app, this doesn't actually close UPnPlay but just leaves it runnng in the background. When you switch back to it later, it will resume exactly where it left off. I have confirmed this behaviour with version 0.0.82.

My experience with 0.0.82 is pretty much the same. There is a 'quit' option in UPnPlay, though the app (in accordance with Andoid standards, I believe) continues to have a background presence unless you force it to stop in Settings/Apps (which I think is really just for troubleshooting).

David
17-09-2013, 11:01 (This post was last modified: 17-09-2013 11:02 by simoncn.)
(16-09-2013 23:00)DavidHB Wrote:  I should be happy to try this. My first test subject might be the use of MP3Tag to batch produce 'surname first' fields. This, as discussed above, is apposite on this forum (1) because it is a task many MinimServer users will need to undertake routinely, and (2) because at present it seems to be only partially and a bit haphazardly documented, even on the MP3Tag forum. The 'clever' bits are (1) having separate MP3Tag actions for the 'one last name' and 'one first name' cases and (2) using filters to define batches of files that can be dealt with in a single action, and also to identify files where action is needed. But, before I do this, I think I might spend some time with the Akurate Smile

I think many people would find this useful.

Quote:On a more general point, having started reading audio-related forums only recently, I am struck by one quite marked difference from their counterparts related to digital photography. Serious photographers are usually greatly interested in (and often argumentative about) the concept of 'workflow', that is the chain of connected actions and processes running from pre-shoot preparations to presentation of the finished image(s), and usually involving a number of different pieces of hardware and a range of software applications, from a range of producers. By contrast, the concept of workflow seems to be almost absent from the audio-related discussions (though they are often interesting and informative in other ways). Nevertheless, the creation and maintenance of digital music libraries is (quite obviously) a workflow, and it typically involves making hardware and software items from different producers work together as a coherent whole. I am starting to think that the key component of the library workflow is the data structure, and, by extension, the server software which presents that structure to the rest of the system. If that is the case, this forum would be a good place for workflow-related discussions, if anyone else is interested, that is ...

I agree that this is an important topic and I'd pleased to see these discussions on the MinimServer forums. There is already a forum section for Music Tagging, which is one aspect of this. It might be useful to add a new forum section with a broader scope as a place for discussions about the wider digital audio ecosystem. Perhaps this new section would be a suitable place to host tutorial guides as well as other discussions.
18-09-2013, 21:37 (This post was last modified: 18-09-2013 21:40 by DavidHB.)
l
(17-09-2013 11:01)simoncn Wrote:  I think many people would find this useful.

I'll try to find the time; as I explained in my last, I am not entirely in control of my agenda at present. I'd like to use a fairly structured format, as this is helpful for new users, and enables experienced contributors to spot and correct mistakes more easliy.

Quote:I agree that this is an important topic and I'd pleased to see these discussions on the MinimServer forums. There is already a forum section for Music Tagging, which is one aspect of this. It might be useful to add a new forum section with a broader scope as a place for discussions about the wider digital audio ecosystem. Perhaps this new section would be a suitable place to host tutorial guides as well as other discussions.

I think this is a very good idea, particuarly as workflow is typically described in step-by-step fashion, and such descriptions can be used, at least to some extent, as tutorials.

More generally, the rason for my 48 hour silence was, as you will have guessed, the arrival and installation of my Akurate DSM. And you are right; I think I'm going to be very happy with it. Played through my Quad 606/Rogers LS3/5A/REL T2 setup, it is actally pretty hard to tell the difference from the expensive counterparts the dealer was using during the demo. 'Source first' is certainly a viable philosophy.

The demo had covered all the ground on streaming, and with my infrastructure already in place, the Linn just slotted in and made itself at home. The bigger surprise was just how capable a preamplifier and contol unit the DSM acually is. With digital sources, you get to realise that the DAC is very good. Using the digital output of my Roksan Kandy Mk III, and so reducing the player to the status of a transport, has massively improved CD playback, so not everything will have to be ripped and streamed. Things are just as good on the analogue side. As I write, I am re-discovering my LP collection; the Linn Basik may not be an LP 12, but it is a capable deck, and it's now playing through a Linn phono stage. The only downside is that, while the in-built Class A headphone amplifier is pretty good, I am inclined to prefer my Naim Headline, and there is no way to run that from the Akurate, as all its pre-amplifier outputs are volume controlled; this could be a gotcha for anyone thinking of upgrading from, say, a Majik DSM, as that does have an output that is not controlled.

So far, I also quite like Kinsky. I've crashed it a couple of times on Android; playlist edititing does not seem to be as robust as on the PC and, I understand, the iOS versons. But recovering from an app crash in Android is usually not a big deal, and the stylish user interface does not sacrifice usabilty for prettiness. I also like the way Kinsky takes the input from MinimServer and uses it as is without imposing rules of its own. This means that I can probably do most of the 'tuning' of my system through MinimServer options, starting, of course, by working out a way of dealing with the 'surname first' issue for composers and artists ...

David
19-09-2013, 21:03
(18-09-2013 21:37)DavidHB Wrote:  
simoncn Wrote:It might be useful to add a new forum section with a broader scope as a place for discussions about the wider digital audio ecosystem. Perhaps this new section would be a suitable place to host tutorial guides as well as other discussions.

I think this is a very good idea, particuarly as workflow is typically described in step-by-step fashion, and such descriptions can be used, at least to some extent, as tutorials.

I've created a new Digital Audio forum section for these discussions. See you there!
20-09-2013, 12:38
(19-09-2013 21:03)simoncn Wrote:  I've created a new Digital Audio forum section for these discussions. See you there!

Thank you! Unless anyone else wishes to contribute, it's over and out on this thread, I think.

David