Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MinimServer download triggers Smartscreen Filter security warning!
07-09-2013, 16:25
RE: MinimServer download triggers Smartscreen Filter security warning!
(07-09-2013 13:52)haggis999 Wrote:  I checked the Tools/Options/Security tab of IE10.0.9200.16660 and I am running with all zones at default level.

I am on the same IE version as you and I also have all zones set to default level. At the moment I don't know why you're getting this warning message and I'm not.

If any other IE10 users are reading this, can you try downloading MinimServer 0.72 to see if you get a warning message?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-09-2013, 16:53
(07-09-2013 16:25)simoncn Wrote:  
(07-09-2013 13:52)haggis999 Wrote:  I checked the Tools/Options/Security tab of IE10.0.9200.16660 and I am running with all zones at default level.

I am on the same IE version as you and I also have all zones set to default level. At the moment I don't know why you're getting this warning message and I'm not.

If any other IE10 users are reading this, can you try downloading MinimServer 0.72 to see if you get a warning message?

I also get the warning message under mentioned IE Version and Win 8 when trying to download from http://minimserver.com/downloads/index.html

But it`s only a warning. I found the Mimin file in my download folder and it`s executable
07-09-2013, 17:18
I've discovered that downloading and running the x86 version of MinimServer produces the SmartScreen warning, but the x64 version doesn't produce this warning.

The wording of the warning message is:

MinimServer-0.72-install-x86.exe is not commonly downloaded and could harm your computer.

From the message pop-up, I selected 'Actions'. This gave me a dialog with a slightly different warning:

SmartScreen Filter reported that this program is not commonly downloaded and is not signed by its author.

If you received this program as an unexpected solicitation, link, or attachment, it might be an attempt to fool you. We recommend that you delete it.

From this dialog, I selected More Options. This gave me the following options:

Don't run this program (recommended)
Delete program
Run anyway

I selected 'Run anyway', and the MinimServer installer started.

Now that I've been able to reproduce the problem, the next step is to see if I can use a self-signed certificate to remove the warning about the program not being signed by its author.
07-09-2013, 18:32
Simon,
I did actually say in my OP that it was the Windows x86 version that triggered the warning. I've never tried the x64 version as I don't think that it's relevant for my Synology DS412+.

You have certainly earned brownie points for responsiveness. To be close to getting a fix less than 24 hours after reporting a problem is excellent service!

David
07-09-2013, 20:19
(07-09-2013 18:32)haggis999 Wrote:  Simon,
I did actually say in my OP that it was the Windows x86 version that triggered the warning. I've never tried the x64 version as I don't think that it's relevant for my Synology DS412+.

You have certainly earned brownie points for responsiveness. To be close to getting a fix less than 24 hours after reporting a problem is excellent service!

David

If you want to run MinimServer on a Synology DS412+, the Windows x86 version isn't very relevant for this. You would need the Synology x86 version of MinimServer, and possibly the Windows x86 version of MinimWatch. Both of these can be downloaded using IE10 without producing the "is not signed" warning.

I'm not sure how close I am yet to having a fix for the "is not signed" warning when downloading the Windows x86 version of MinimServer. Even if I can fix this, I don't think it would prevent IE10 from showing the other warning message about "could harm your computer".
07-09-2013, 22:55 (This post was last modified: 07-09-2013 22:57 by haggis999.)
I think that must have been a senior moment. At first look, I had no idea which of your Synology versions was appropriate for the DS412+, as the processor description provided on the Synology product specification page is simply "Dual Core 2.13 GHz". By the time I tracked down something to tell me the DS412+ used an Intel Atom D2700 x86 processor and returned to your page, I must have just picked on the first x86 reference I saw!

My guess would be that if you can get that Windows x86 version to be recognised as signed code then all will be well in due course, even if you have to reach a certain number of downloads before all warning messages disappear.

Linux is not a familiar environment for me, so I have delayed attempting to install MinimServer on my DS412+ until I have a bit more free time (my wife does not view playing with computers as one of my vital domestic chores). I have therefore just installed the Windows version on my PC in order to gain an initial understanding of the software. It will be interesting to see how well it compares with other UPnP/DLNA servers for classical music. I'm hoping it can do on my NAS what J River Media Center can do on my PC (JRMC is much more than a DLNA server but that's the key feature I wish to compare).
07-09-2013, 23:18 (This post was last modified: 07-09-2013 23:42 by haggis999.)
All my classical music files have embedded Composer, Work and Track tags (with most works being spread across multiple tracks). However, MinimServer is not picking up my Work tag and I'm struggling to find a similar tag with another name in the MinimServer documentation. Where does MinimServer store something like "Symphony No 8 in E flat major, 'Symphony of a Thousand'"?

I'm probably just being impatient, as I've not yet read all the documentation from beginning to end . . .

EDIT: I've now found the User Guide paragraph headed 'Groups and compositions' and that seems to suggest that my custom tag called 'Work' serves the purpose of defining grouped tracks but doesn't tell me how to persuade MinimServer to use this tag for that purpose.
07-09-2013, 23:56
(07-09-2013 23:18)haggis999 Wrote:  All my classical music files have embedded Composer, Work and Track tags (with most works being spread across multiple tracks). However, MinimServer is not picking up my Work tag and I'm struggling to find a similar tag with another name in the MinimServer documentation. Where does MinimServer store something like "Symphony No 8 in E flat major, 'Symphony of a Thousand'"?

I'm probably just being impatient, as I've not yet read all the documentation from beginning to end . . .

EDIT: I've now found the User Guide paragraph headed 'Groups and compositions' and that seems to suggest that my custom tag called 'Work' serves the purpose of defining grouped tracks but doesn't tell me how to persuade MinimServer to use this tag for that purpose.

It's worth taking time to read the User guide. In the long run it will save you time and help you to get the best out of MinimServer.

The aliasTags property tells MinimServer to treat a tag as if it were some other tag. In this case, you could add the setting Work:Group to the aliasTags property, and your Work tags would be read by MinimServer as if they were Group tags. Note that the Group tag can only be used for consecutive tracks on the same album disc.
08-09-2013, 00:12 (This post was last modified: 08-09-2013 00:23 by haggis999.)
As I said, I'm just being impatient. I will RTFM ASAP!

I've set aliasTags to Work:Group. I then stopped and restarted MinimServer. However, I'm still not seeing any work info.

I'm expecting to see Work as a menu choice after selecting Composer.
08-09-2013, 01:26 (This post was last modified: 08-09-2013 01:27 by magister.)
(08-09-2013 00:12)haggis999 Wrote:  As I said, I'm just being impatient. I will RTFM ASAP!
I have tried three or four other servers and found nothing that provides the flexibility in displaying custom tags that MinimServer offers. This is essential for classical music (as you realize) and I think you will be very happy once you get the hang of working with the tags and getting them to display as you wish. It does take a bit of study, experimentation, and perhaps asking followup questions here.

And don't worry about installing MinimServer on a Synology NAS running Linux. Once you download the right package (depending on what processor your Synology has) and the right version of Java, it's a breeze; the Synology Diskstation Manager pretty much hides all the Linux internals. I was very impressed with DSM, coming from a background of no Linux experience at all.

David