Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let's brainstorm..Setting up MinimServer to feed a USB DAC
05-09-2013, 14:50
RE: Let's brainstorm..Setting up MinimServer to feed a USB DAC
(02-09-2013 07:26)wappinghigh Wrote:  ^Sure.. but what is a suitable Renderer? XBMC can run on the Pi and Cbox, but doesn't support DSD and I'n not sure it outputs via the USB port either..

We need MinimRenderer Smile

The Raspbmc version of XBMC supports USB DACs. See this page.

For DSD support, it should be possible to use MinimServer's DoP/WAV transcoding. XBMC would see this as a WAV file and pass the WAV data through to the DAC. If the DAC has DoP support, it would extract the DSD stream from the WAV data.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-09-2013, 10:59 (This post was last modified: 06-09-2013 12:24 by wappinghigh.)
I'm going to get a pi and try this.. So Raspbmc is a different version of XMBC?? > You load this instead of the normal XBMC for pi right? Or do you swap from one to the other??

The XMBC Wiki says USB audio is not supported by XBMC.. you know something I don't Simon>?
06-09-2013, 12:38
^ This is going to get pretty geeky *very* quickly hahahaha

http://forum.stmlabs.com/showthread.php?tid=10289

Anybody got a simpler way LOL! ??

Come on I'm staggered there isn't a simple Ethernet>USB UPnP renderer device ....
06-09-2013, 19:12 (This post was last modified: 06-09-2013 19:17 by simoncn.)
(06-09-2013 10:59)wappinghigh Wrote:  I'm going to get a pi and try this.. So Raspbmc is a different version of XMBC?? > You load this instead of the normal XBMC for pi right? Or do you swap from one to the other??

The XMBC Wiki says USB audio is not supported by XBMC.. you know something I don't Simon>?

From the page that I linked in my post:

USB DACs and PulseAudio support is supported in XBMC 12.2 again. Note that this is an unofficial addon maintained by the Raspbmc team, rather than being supported by XBMC directly, which is why it took some time to port to 12.2.

Given this, I'm surprised by Sam Nazarko's comment in the thread you linked telling the other user to revert to 12.1.

It is my understanding that Raspbmc is a Linux image for the RPi with XBMC preinstalled, plus other tweaks.
16-09-2013, 10:32
This is extremely alpha.. Got a Pi up and running with Raspbmc but can't getUSB happening.. Warning Geek alert Smile
29-10-2013, 15:13 (This post was last modified: 08-11-2013 18:14 by gmeddens.)
I tried this:
<https://github.com/hzeller/gmrender-resurrect/blob/master/INSTALL.md> and got it running on a cubieboard A10; compatible with rasperryPi. The Dacs I tested are ADL Esprit and Meridian Explorer.
There is an annoying bug. When quitting the control point (plug player for mac, songbook for mac); playing stops at the end of the song ... Kinski kind of works less stable in this setup.

Sound wise it was not very refined; but an iPad charger boosted the performance comparing to the iPhone charger I used, so need some experimenting to build a bedroom headphone setup. One could install Minimserver on the same device but for me this is not necessary.
Guy

Edit: I added the open home client from PeteManchester and have a nice setup. I might sell my Akurate DS/0.
03-11-2013, 23:59
Hello, I wasn't here for a while. To my very big surprise I was told on slimdevices forum in August that the Squeezebox Touch (with the EDO app) can play DSD files in the DoP format. All you need is an USB-DAC that can handle DoP. So, I bought the Matrix X-Sabre DAC. The next surprise was reading about Daphile http://www.daphile.com/#overview It works like an embedded system based on Gentoo and the LMS and supports DSD128 playback. It can convert DSD to DoP on-the-fly. I was testing it with an old netbook and the Matrix DAC via USB. It rocks!

So, maybe this could be interesting for Simon? A small slim MinimServerOS based on a Linux distribution. Or another approach, the MinimServer implemented in the Vortexbox? Afaik, the Vortexbox supports LMS and Sonos. So why not the MinimServer, too?

Sorry for my 2 cents Shy
Mario
04-11-2013, 11:18
(01-09-2013 21:52)simoncn Wrote:  MinimServer is a server, not a renderer, and I don't think it makes sense to attempt to add renderer capabilities to it.

A hardware/software combination that includes MinimServer and a suitable UPnP renderer that can drive a USB-attached DAC would be a good solution. The hardware hosting platform could be a Raspberry Pi or any similar low-cost Linux computer with a USB port.

Ok, ok.. pls forget my post above. I should have read the thread again before.
A small Linux system with MPD as UPnP-renderer could be the trick indeed.
19-11-2013, 06:59
>> Follow the latest developments going on in this thread… http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-ne...ndex3.html
23-11-2013, 13:08
(05-09-2013 13:21)wappinghigh Wrote:  I've drawn a blank on this. It's soooo frustating.. I can't find one simple player out there..

The closest I've got is the Cubox Mubox project.. http://www.solid-run.com/general/75-mpd

I can't see anywhere wether it it will stream files UPnP with any degree of "confidence"...

Perhaps we should start a Kickstarter?..

Hi,

Not sure if this will help ,but I've developed an UPNP Renderer for the Raspberry Pi that supports the OpenHome extensions

The source code and install files can be found on here on GitHub

There are also some basic install instructions here

Just download the zip file and the install files are in the build/Release folder.

I have used it with a Sabre U2 Async DAC, Prodigy Cube DAC and also tested the new UD110 v2 DAC.

It's not as good as a Linn DS :-) but it seems to work ok.

Cheers,

Pete.