Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let's brainstorm..Setting up MinimServer to feed a USB DAC
24-11-2013, 11:56
RE: Let's brainstorm..Setting up MinimServer to feed a USB DAC
Hey Pete.. This is *very* COOL!!! Thanks for this.. Have you used any other control points?.. Where are you based?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
24-11-2013, 16:41
(24-11-2013 11:56)wappinghigh Wrote:  Hey Pete.. This is *very* COOL!!! Thanks for this.. Have you used any other control points?.. Where are you based?

Hi,

I mainly use Kinsky and Asset Control and have just recently started using BubbleDS. I've also quickly tested PlugPlayer and eLyrics...

I live up in the hills just outside of Manchester now, originally I'm from Middleton..
25-11-2013, 06:21 (This post was last modified: 25-11-2013 06:22 by wappinghigh.)
^ I have a Pi with Raspbmc on it.. what do I do? I'd like to give it a try…
25-11-2013, 12:03
(25-11-2013 06:21)wappinghigh Wrote:  ^ I have a Pi with Raspbmc on it.. what do I do? I'd like to give it a try…

hmmmm, you've caught me out already with that question, I've never tried to install on Raspbmc..

In theory it should just be a case of following these instructions

Check if Java is already installed, if not install Java.
Install mpd or mplayer or both
Copy the files to your raspi
Edit the config files
Test
Create the service (if needed)

When I get some time I will try to install on Raspbmc, if you want to try before then just send me any questions you have.

Cheers,

Pete.
25-11-2013, 14:05
I think there may be issues. As far as I am aware Raspbmc doesn't yet support usb audio cards.

Dave
25-11-2013, 20:54
(25-11-2013 06:21)wappinghigh Wrote:  ^ I have a Pi with Raspbmc on it.. what do I do? I'd like to give it a try…

I had a quick look at the Raspbmc image and at first glance I agree with Dave that when using XBMC you cannot use a USB DAC, the only output options seem to be HDMI or Analogue (but I don't know much about raspbmc...)

However I tried to install my mediaplayer on the Raspbmc image and that worked with a USB DAC (Sabre U2 Async).

The install was fairly simple the only difficult part was installing Java which was slightly more complicated than usual because the raspbmc image seems to have the some of the apt sources missing and so I had to manually install Java.

I don't know if I would recommend the combination of raspbmc and my mediaplayer though because xbmc.bin is taking a lot of CPU time..

Are you using XMBC on the raspi? Or were you just trying it, if you are not using XBMC then maybe it is quicker and easier to just load the standard Raspian image onto your SD Card, if you are still using XBMC then it is possible to install the mediaplayer as well.

Cheers,

Pete.
25-11-2013, 22:17
(23-11-2013 13:08)PeteManchester Wrote:  Hi,

Not sure if this will help ,but I've developed an UPNP Renderer for the Raspberry Pi that supports the OpenHome extensions

The source code and install files can be found on here on GitHub

There are also some basic install instructions here

Just download the zip file and the install files are in the build/Release folder.

I have used it with a Sabre U2 Async DAC, Prodigy Cube DAC and also tested the new UD110 v2 DAC.

It's not as good as a Linn DS :-) but it seems to work ok.

Cheers,

Pete.

Hi Pete,
Thanks for all your work on this.

I've tried it, but I'm not having much luck so far. MediaPlayer shows up in the control point, but nothing happens when I attempt to play a file. Are there any diagnostics or tracing that I can use to find out what's happening?

I don't (yet) have a USB DAC: should it be OK to use the RPi's built-in audio to get things up and running?

Simon
26-11-2013, 00:06
Now that sounds interesting Pete...
26-11-2013, 00:23
(25-11-2013 22:17)simoncn Wrote:  Hi Pete,
Thanks for all your work on this.

I've tried it, but I'm not having much luck so far. MediaPlayer shows up in the control point, but nothing happens when I attempt to play a file. Are there any diagnostics or tracing that I can use to find out what's happening?

I don't (yet) have a USB DAC: should it be OK to use the RPi's built-in audio to get things up and running?

Simon

Hi Simon,

It will work with through the build in audio headphone socket, I have one raspi which does this.

There is configuration for a log file in the file:
/home/pi/mediaplayer/app.properties
There are the options:
log.file=mediaplayer.log
log.file.level=error

The log file level can be set to debug,info.warn,error,fatal,off

Config Options

Does the timer start increasing when you start a track playing, if not it could be a problem with the install of mpd (or mplayer if you have configured mediaplayer to use mplayer).

If the timer is increasing then it could be an issue with the way the soundcard/internal audio is configured.

The command :
alsamixer
Is quite useful to show if a sound device is configured and it allows you to adjust the volume.

Then there are articles like this that are useful.

I have found that the recent versions of raspian work straight away, some older versions need a few tweaks to get the sound working.

Thanks,

Pete.
26-11-2013, 22:23
(26-11-2013 00:23)PeteManchester Wrote:  Does the timer start increasing when you start a track playing, if not it could be a problem with the install of mpd (or mplayer if you have configured mediaplayer to use mplayer).

Thanks for these suggestions. The file appears to start playing for a fraction of a second and then stops immediately (no timer numbers). I'm attaching a debug log. I've left the player property as its default setting of player=mpd. Should it be OK to play a WAV file, or would some other format work better?

Attached File(s)
.zip  mediaplayer-log.zip (Size: 6.92 KB / Downloads: 1)