Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting MinimServer to ignore 'The' before band names
20-08-2013, 21:00
Getting MinimServer to ignore 'The' before band names
Hi there,

I am sure this has been covered before, as someone made a remark in another thread, which I can't find anymore.

So, how do you change the settings so that a band like 'The Cardigans' does not show up under T, but under C?

I assume I am not the first person to ask that, nor will I be the last, so would it be possible to put the answer to that into a FAQ section, or put it into a sticky?

Or could you setup forthcoming MinimServer versions in a way so this is implemented from the get-go?

The same goes for having the albums of a given artist sorted in a chronologically *ascending* order, not descending. I found the answer to that already, but my recommendation would be to have it ascending by default, because that's what the majority of people presumably prefer.

Cheers,
Samuel.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
20-08-2013, 21:16
RE: Getting MinimServer to ignore 'The' before band names
(20-08-2013 21:00)vln Wrote:  I am sure this has been covered before, as someone made a remark in another thread, which I can't find anymore.

So, how do you change the settings so that a band like 'The Cardigans' does not show up under T, but under C?

This is described in this section of the online User guide.

Quote:I assume I am not the first person to ask that, nor will I be the last, so would it be possible to put the answer to that into a FAQ section, or put it into a sticky?

The intention is to provide all this information in the online User guide. To make it easier for people to find the relevant section of the User guide, I could add an online index for the User guide. For example, to help people find this particular piece of information, the index entries "sort order, The" and "The, ignoring" could point to the relevant section.

Quote:Or could you setup forthcoming MinimServer versions in a way so this is implemented from the get-go?

I think it's simpler and more consistent for all the default sort order settings to be strict alphabetical, with options to change this.

Quote:The same goes for having the albums of a given artist sorted in a chronologically *ascending* order, not descending. I found the answer to that already, but my recommendation would be to have it ascending by default, because that's what the majority of people presumably prefer.

Based on previous comments on the forum, it seems that most people who use this option prefer the date sort order to be descending.
20-08-2013, 21:45
(20-08-2013 21:16)simoncn Wrote:  
(20-08-2013 21:00)vln Wrote:  I am sure this has been covered before, as someone made a remark in another thread, which I can't find anymore.

This is described in this section of the online User guide.

Quote:I assume I am not the first person to ask that, nor will I be the last, so would it be possible to put the answer to that into a FAQ section, or put it into a sticky?

The intention is to provide all this information in the online User guide. To make it easier for people to find the relevant section of the User guide, I could add an online index for the User guide. For example, to help people find this particular piece of information, the index entries "sort order, The" and "The, ignoring" could point to the relevant section.

Quote:Or could you setup forthcoming MinimServer versions in a way so this is implemented from the get-go?

I think it's simpler and more consistent for all the default sort order settings to be strict alphabetical, with options to change this.

Quote:The same goes for having the albums of a given artist sorted in a chronologically *ascending* order, not descending. I found the answer to that already, but my recommendation would be to have it ascending by default, because that's what the majority of people presumably prefer.

Based on previous comments on the forum, it seems that most people who use this option prefer the date sort order to be descending.

"This is described in this section of the online User guide."

Thanks, this did the trick!

"The intention is to provide all this information in the online User guide. To make it easier for people to find the relevant section of the User guide, I could add an online index for the User guide. For example, to help people find this particular piece of information, the index entries "sort order, The" and "The, ignoring" could point to the relevant section."

An online index might indeed be helpful; a FAQ section would be good for specific questions such as this one.

"I think it's simpler and more consistent for all the default sort order settings to be strict alphabetical, with options to change this."

Granted!

"Based on previous comments on the forum, it seems that most people who use this option prefer the date sort order to be descending."

It never occurred to me to have it descending! But given that this is now sorted, it's fine. But perhaps another one for a forthcoming FAQ section?

Cheers,
Samuel.
20-08-2013, 22:01
(20-08-2013 21:45)vln Wrote:  It never occurred to me to have it descending! But given that this is now sorted, it's fine. But perhaps another one for a forthcoming FAQ section?

I think most people prefer descending because they want the most recent albums to be visible at the top of the list, without needing to scroll down.

The problem with FAQ lists is that they are either too short, which means they don't answer the user's specific question, or they are too long, which means the answer is hard to find among many dozens or hundreds of entries. Also, the answers would contain information that is largely a duplicate/subset of what appears in the User guide, which makes it hard to keep the two in sync when changes occur.

For these reasons, I think an online index would be a better way to help users find the information they need.
20-12-2021, 11:56
Hello,

I would like to ignore the "The" for artist names. So I have configured it like

tagOptions:
Album.sortTags={Album, Artist}, Artist.ignore.sort={The}, AlbumArtist.ignore.sort={The}

This works for tag-folders like "Artist". But it does not alter the sorting in Folder-View. I guess that it is not possible to configure this for folder view, too, is it?

Thanks
Gert
20-12-2021, 13:13
You can configure the sorting for folder view by using the folder.sortTags option of the tagOptions property (see this section).
20-12-2021, 17:48
I now have tried

Album.sortTags={Album, Artist}, folder.sortTags={Album, Artist}, Artist.ignore.sort={The}, AlbumArtist.ignore.sort={The}

But the artist sorting in the folder view does not ignore the "the". I am not sure how I have to configure this.

Also the ordering in the Artist tag folder is different than I expected, e.g.:
Acid Factor
Acid Scout
The Acid

I expected that "Acid" would be sorted before the other two entries?
20-12-2021, 18:17 (This post was last modified: 20-12-2021 18:22 by Peter@57m.)
I have sort tags set to {The,THE,the} to cater for more than just The

I hadn't noticed the sort order but you are correct, I have
Band of Skulls
The Band

But it works as expected when no "the", for example
Beethoven
Beethoven Ludvig van
20-12-2021, 21:57
When you set ignore.sort={The}, the tag

The Acid

is sorted as

Acid, The

'Acid Factor' is sorted before 'Acid, The' because ' ' is sorted before ','.
20-12-2021, 22:34
Ok, the sorting of the postfix „, The“ is not a big problem. I just wondered.

But can anybody give me a hint how to make ignoring the „the“ in folder view working? This was my first try:

Album.sortTags={Album, Artist}, folder.sortTags={Album, Artist}, Artist.ignore.sort={The}, AlbumArtist.ignore.sort={The}