Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Music Not In Library
20-08-2013, 18:08
New Music Not In Library
Hi Guys - I'mm reviewing the Lumin music player right now and using MinimServer as it is highly recommended. When I add new music to my library on my Synology DS1812+ NAS it doesn't appear in the Lumin app. I've used the Update Music Library and Reload Music Library commands from within the Lumin app but neither make the new music appear in the app. I'm pretty sure restarting MinimServer would fix this but that seems like a bad solution.

Any ideas what's going on or how to fix this?

Founder

Audiophile Style
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
20-08-2013, 19:47 (This post was last modified: 20-08-2013 19:48 by Peter@57m.)
RE: New Music Not In Library
Couple of possibilities
1: after you load new music to the NAS directories scanned by MinimServer you need to restart MinimServer using MinimWatch to get MinimServer to index the new files. This is how MinimServer works. It will not interrupt any streaming while it restarts.
2: what format are the music files? If WAV then MinimServer will not pick up any tags and Lumin will not handle them twell. Lumin will do the same for flac or whatever if not tagged.
I suspect from what you report its 1

Peter
QNAP 559 ProII, Melco N1ZH, MinimServer, Lumin & Kazoo
Find all posts by this user
20-08-2013, 19:50
(20-08-2013 19:47)Peter@57m Wrote:  Couple of possibilities
1: after you load new music to the NAS directories scanned by MinimServer you need to restart MinimServer using MinimWatch to get MinimServer to index the new files. This is how MinimServer works. It will not interrupt any streaming while it restarts.
2: what format are the music files? If WAV then MinimServer will not pick up any tags and Lumin will not handle them twell. Lumin will do the same for flac or whatever if not tagged.
I suspect from what you report its 1

Thanks Peter. I'm using FLAC files. I had to restart MinimServer. I also found an auto-restart package for Synology that should help.

Founder

Audiophile Style
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-08-2013, 20:03
(20-08-2013 18:08)The Computer Audiophile Wrote:  Hi Guys - I'mm reviewing the Lumin music player right now and using MinimServer as it is highly recommended. When I add new music to my library on my Synology DS1812+ NAS it doesn't appear in the Lumin app. I've used the Update Music Library and Reload Music Library commands from within the Lumin app but neither make the new music appear in the app. I'm pretty sure restarting MinimServer would fix this but that seems like a bad solution.

Any ideas what's going on or how to fix this?

At present, the only way for MinimServer to pick up new music is by a restart. In a future release of MinimServer, I'm hoping to provide the capability to detect additions to the library and add them automatically without a restart.

As an interim solution until this capability is available. there is an Auto Restart package for MinimServer on Synology that detects changes to the library and automatically restarts MinimServer. See this thread for more information.
25-08-2013, 15:14
I seem to have the same problem .I have added two albums to ITunes library on my IMac but they have not appeared on my Synology NAS.I have stopped and and restarted Minimserver through Minimserver but no joy.Previous post refer to doing this through Minimwatch ,does this mean that I should stop Minimwatch?Not sure exactly what to do.
25-08-2013, 15:51
(25-08-2013 15:14)mors Wrote:  I seem to have the same problem .I have added two albums to ITunes library on my IMac but they have not appeared on my Synology NAS.I have stopped and and restarted Minimserver through Minimserver but no joy.Previous post refer to doing this through Minimwatch ,does this mean that I should stop Minimwatch?Not sure exactly what to do.

The first step is make sure the new music has been added to the Synology folder that MinimServer has been set up to scan (the contentDir setting). I don't know whether it's possible to set up iTunes to do this automatically, or whether you need to copy the new music manually from the iMac to the Synology.

After the new music has been added to the correct Synology folder, you should use the Restart option from the minim icon to make MinimServer rescan the Synology to add the new music. The minim icon is part of MinimWatch, and you will find it in the menu bar of the iMac when MinimWatch is running,
26-08-2013, 11:41
Although I have both Minimserver and Minimwatch running successfully I know that they are are not fully configured as I copied music to my Synology NAS.I tried to complete content Dir setting with my current iTunes location on my Mac but this produced an error message.What exactly should I have in this box?
26-08-2013, 12:32 (This post was last modified: 26-08-2013 12:42 by mors.)
Just found this in another post "DiskStation/Music' is not a valid directory. To find out the correct string for the content directory, please do the following:

1) In the DSM webinterface, open the 'File Station' and navigate to the directory where your music files are located.
2) Right click on this directory and select 'Properties'
3) In the property window under the 'General' tab, you will find the correct path for this directory next to 'Location:'

The path will be something like '/volume1/music'. Please note that you have to copy this exact case sensitive string to the contentDir property in MinimWatch."Just tried this and nothing happens Properties is still shaded.Could someone advise exactly where I should right click as I have tried initial music folder then music folder actually containing albums with no success.
26-08-2013, 12:50 (This post was last modified: 26-08-2013 12:53 by simoncn.)
(26-08-2013 12:32)mors Wrote:  Just found this in another post "DiskStation/Music' is not a valid directory. To find out the correct string for the content directory, please do the following:

1) In the DSM webinterface, open the 'File Station' and navigate to the directory where your music files are located.
2) Right click on this directory and select 'Properties'
3) In the property window under the 'General' tab, you will find the correct path for this directory next to 'Location:'

The path will be something like '/volume1/music'. Please note that you have to copy this exact case sensitive string to the contentDir property in MinimWatch."Just tried this and nothing happens Properties is still shaded.Could someone advise exactly where I should right click as I have tried initial music folder then music folder actually containing albums with no success.

Do you know the name of the folder on the Synology that contains the new music you want to see in MinimServer?

How did you copy the new music from your iMac to the Synology? Did you do this using iTunes, or did you copy the files in some other way? Please be as specific as possible.

Have you used the Restart selection from the minim icon? This is necessary for new music to be found.
26-08-2013, 13:43
Thanks again.I copied from ITunes .In File Station the first click on music gives name of music,second click music>music and third click giving where albums actually are shows music>music>Music.Should I use this?