Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Duplicate tracks after editing metadata
17-08-2013, 13:59 (This post was last modified: 17-08-2013 14:04 by MartinBarrell.)
Question Duplicate tracks after editing metadata
Huh I had added some albums to minimserver then subsequently changed the metadata (using Musichi tagger). One of the fields changed was "Album Artist Sort" which is an index field. I now see both the old and the new values in the index and when I select the albums I get the option to get the complete album I then see each track duplicated. I have restarted and refreshed minimserver and problem is still there.

Environment is minimserver 7.2 on QNAP arm. Control points seeing this issue Bubblesoft upnp on Android and Marantz MCR603.

Other albums are OK.

I would guess removing the tracks and re-adding may work but would be annoyance

Any ideas?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
17-08-2013, 15:48
RE: Duplicate tracks after editing metadata
(17-08-2013 13:59)MartinBarrell Wrote:  Huh I had added some albums to minimserver then subsequently changed the metadata (using Musichi tagger). One of the fields changed was "Album Artist Sort" which is an index field. I now see both the old and the new values in the index and when I select the albums I get the option to get the complete album I then see each track duplicated. I have restarted and refreshed minimserver and problem is still there.

Environment is minimserver 7.2 on QNAP arm. Control points seeing this issue Bubblesoft upnp on Android and Marantz MCR603.

Other albums are OK.

I would guess removing the tracks and re-adding may work but would be annoyance

Any ideas?

It sounds like your changes using Musichi might have saved a new copy of the album tracks instead of overwriting the existing copy.

To confirm this, you can try renaming the file extension of the audio file for one of the duplicated tracks (for example, from .flac to .flacx). After doing this, restart MinimServer. The .flacx extension will prevent MinimServer from scanning the renamed file. Does this remove the duplication for that specific track?
17-08-2013, 18:01
(17-08-2013 15:48)simoncn Wrote:  It sounds like your changes using Musichi might have saved a new copy of the album tracks instead of overwriting the existing copy.

To confirm this, you can try renaming the file extension of the audio file for one of the duplicated tracks (for example, from .flac to .flacx). After doing this, restart MinimServer. The .flacx extension will prevent MinimServer from scanning the renamed file. Does this remove the duplication for that specific track?

Yes I did replace the whole of the old file with a new version. In fact I do the edit on a PC disk version of the file and then recopy to the NAS to replace the old version.

I renamed one of the tracks to flacx and this stopped the track from appearing as a duplicate. Sadly the version that remains is the one with the old metadata. What I do not understand is that I can still play the track using minimserver even though it has been renamed.
Very strange.
17-08-2013, 20:18
(17-08-2013 18:01)MartinBarrell Wrote:  Yes I did replace the whole of the old file with a new version. In fact I do the edit on a PC disk version of the file and then recopy to the NAS to replace the old version.

I renamed one of the tracks to flacx and this stopped the track from appearing as a duplicate. Sadly the version that remains is the one with the old metadata. What I do not understand is that I can still play the track using minimserver even though it has been renamed.
Very strange.

It sounds like your recopy from the PC to the NAS might have moved the previous copy of the track to a backup location. Your rename from .flac to .flacx would have made the new copy of the track unavailable to MinimServer, but it sounds like MinimServer is still finding the original track from the backup location.

I suggest you do the following:

1) From the minim icon. select 'Show log'
2) In the log window, change the logging level to Verbose
3) Leave the log window open
4) From the minim icon, select Restart
5) Look at the log messages to see which directories are being scanned. One of these directories should be the directory with the backup copy of the old files.
18-08-2013, 16:52
(17-08-2013 20:18)simoncn Wrote:  It sounds like your recopy from the PC to the NAS might have moved the previous copy of the track to a backup location. Your rename from .flac to .flacx would have made the new copy of the track unavailable to MinimServer, but it sounds like MinimServer is still finding the original track from the backup location.

I suggest you do the following:

1) From the minim icon. select 'Show log'
2) In the log window, change the logging level to Verbose
3) Leave the log window open
4) From the minim icon, select Restart
5) Look at the log messages to see which directories are being scanned. One of these directories should be the directory with the backup copy of the old files.
Blush
That is exactly what it was so many thanks for your help!
Martin