Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minimserver + MConnect
10-04-2024, 13:25
Minimserver + MConnect
Hi, I'm a new and happy Minimserver user.

I have a quite big music collection, ca. 128k songs. I control Minimserver with MConnect and it is a bit confusing that if I would like to see all songs in one list it takes 3-4 minutes to load. And it is so every time within also in one session. This means every time I step out from the song list and back I have to wait.

I don't know which software controls it and how can I set up a cache for this tyle of data (album, artist, song list etc.)

If you can help me that would be great!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-04-2024, 14:53 (This post was last modified: 10-04-2024 14:54 by simoncn.)
RE: Minimserver + MConnect
This sounds like a limitation of mconnect. The UPnP protocol allows the control point to request a range of songs from the server (for example, songs 1 to 100 or songs 15000 to 15200, etc.) This enables the control point to do smart scrolling where it loads the range you are viewing and preloads the ranges just before and after this range so that scrolling up and down is very quick. If done correctly, this can provide very good performance for a large list.

Unfortunately some control points load the whole list before showing any songs, which takes a very long time. It sounds like this is what mconnect is doing.
10-04-2024, 15:07
(10-04-2024 13:25)adamthebrave Wrote:  I have a quite big music collection, ca. 128k songs. I control Minimserver with MConnect and it is a bit confusing that if I would like to see all songs in one list it takes 3-4 minutes to load.

I'm trying to think why you'd want to load all 128k songs. Is it because mconnect doesn't have search (at least on Android it doesn't, just a filter option where you need to load the list first)? If that's the reason and you're on Android, BubbleUPnP is a much better option.
11-04-2024, 07:37
(10-04-2024 15:07)simbun Wrote:  
(10-04-2024 13:25)adamthebrave Wrote:  I have a quite big music collection, ca. 128k songs. I control Minimserver with MConnect and it is a bit confusing that if I would like to see all songs in one list it takes 3-4 minutes to load.

I'm trying to think why you'd want to load all 128k songs. Is it because mconnect doesn't have search (at least on Android it doesn't, just a filter option where you need to load the list first)? If that's the reason and you're on Android, BubbleUPnP is a much better option.

I have a large collection and sometimes I would like to listen to as it is a radio station. I have several albums, artists I haven't listened yet and I'm open to disvoer any new things like the Roon Radio.

I have only Apple devices and for IOS there is no Bubble... Sad

I'm searching for new control points, if you have any suggestions please write me.
11-04-2024, 07:50 (This post was last modified: 11-04-2024 07:52 by stefano_mbp.)
On the “free” side you can try Lumïn app or Linn app (the white logo one) but they both need Bubbleupnpserver running somewhere (on the same Minimserver server/nas)
On the “paid” side there is JPlay for iOS (annual subscription, 15 days trial), it has Radio function like Roon.
I “warmly” suggest Lumïn app
11-04-2024, 09:21
(11-04-2024 07:37)adamthebrave Wrote:  I have only Apple devices and for IOS there is no Bubble... Sad
That's a pity as BubbleUPnP does cache previously browsed paths, although I'm sure they'll be a limit which 128k tracks might reach! It also has an efficient way of producing random playlists of albums or tracks, but only from the root index currently.

Normally I wouldn't suggest Lumin as it copies ALL the metadata from MinimServer to present its own indexes, but it might be the best option you have if you want to browse at the track level - if you have the patience for it to index!
As @stefano_mbp stated you will need BubbleUPnP Server installed and you'll need to browse Lumin's index of your collection, as otherwise you'll face similar issues to mconnect.
11-04-2024, 09:47
Thanks for yout kind help!

I'll try them.

I alter a little bit my question.

I use HQP Embedded as the main player/upsampler, it has an upnp input. I have Tidal and Qobuz plus my collection with 128k files.

What do you reccomend to organize, index my files, use the dtreaming services and control the playing of music.

I use minimserver + mconnect and I have only Apple devices.
11-04-2024, 09:53
I use HQPlayer embedded too … and tried Qobuz (not Tidal sorry) through Lumïn app and JPlay for iOS and it works flawlessly.
12-04-2024, 12:32
(11-04-2024 09:53)stefano_mbp Wrote:  I use HQPlayer embedded too … and tried Qobuz (not Tidal sorry) through Lumïn app and JPlay for iOS and it works flawlessly.

I tried both of them, many thanks!

It was tricky to find the setting button of the Lumin App, but I fiund it! Smile

Both apps are great!

I paid for the mconnect and it is a little bit strange that this app it is so behind to the others.
17-04-2024, 12:24
Have you contacted the mConnect developer team? If you use the paid version they will surely listen and develop a fix.