Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Display albums by date & music by form
09-08-2013, 17:33
Display albums by date & music by form
Hi,
I am thinking of installing MS and I am wondering before I do if I can display the albums for a particular albumArtist by date or releaseDate?
I also like to "group" my classical and jazz collections by form i.e. sonata, symphony, delta, New Orleans etc. I currently use the comment tag but I wonder how MS would do that.
TIA
-G
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-08-2013, 22:28 (This post was last modified: 09-08-2013 22:30 by simoncn.)
RE: Display albums by date & music by form
(09-08-2013 17:33)GregR Wrote:  Hi,
I am thinking of installing MS and I am wondering before I do if I can display the albums for a particular albumArtist by date or releaseDate?
I also like to "group" my classical and jazz collections by form i.e. sonata, symphony, delta, New Orleans etc. I currently use the comment tag but I wonder how MS would do that.
TIA
-G

You can sort the album list by date (or by any tags of your choosing).

You can use custom tags to group your collection in any way you want. In this case, you could add a custom tag named Form with values sonata, symphony, delta, New Orleans etc. Some people use the ContentGroup tag for this purpose.

For details of how to do both of the above, please read the User guide on the MinimServer website.

Given that MS is also a widely used abbreviation for a large software company, I'd prefer that people don't use it as an abbreviation for MinimServer. Thanks!
10-08-2013, 03:25
Hi,

So I added "Album.sortTags={Date, Genre}" to tagOptions with +Date in indexTags, album sorting solved. thx.

Then I added " CONTENTGROUP:Forms" to indexTags and "Forms" shows up at the root level. Clicking on forms gives me Composer and Album Artist. Awesome. Clicking on composer gives me a list of composers. Awesome-er. Clicking on albums has them displayed by date as I set up but now I want them alpha-sorted in this instance. What do I do in this case.

Thanks for the help.
-G

P.S. I appreciate "all.sortValue.ignoreThe"
10-08-2013, 05:34
(10-08-2013 03:25)GregR Wrote:  Clicking on albums has them displayed by date as I set up but now I want them alpha-sorted in this instance. What do I do in this case.

Hi, you can do this with the alphaGroup property.
For example, when you set the alphaGroup property to 'albums=100', any list of albums with hundred or more albums will be grouped alphabetically.
10-08-2013, 16:20
(10-08-2013 03:25)GregR Wrote:  Then I added " CONTENTGROUP:Forms" to indexTags and "Forms" shows up at the root level. Clicking on forms gives me Composer and Album Artist. Awesome. Clicking on composer gives me a list of composers. Awesome-er. Clicking on albums has them displayed by date as I set up but now I want them alpha-sorted in this instance. What do I do in this case.

The Album.sortTags setting is global, so it isn't possible to have some album lists sorted by date and other album lists sorted by name. The alphaGroup setting is global as well.
11-08-2013, 01:13
Thanks for the info. I'm setting up a small sample library and trying out the tips and suggestions you offer.
-G

(10-08-2013 16:20)simoncn Wrote:  
(10-08-2013 03:25)GregR Wrote:  Then I added " CONTENTGROUP:Forms" to indexTags and "Forms" shows up at the root level. Clicking on forms gives me Composer and Album Artist. Awesome. Clicking on composer gives me a list of composers. Awesome-er. Clicking on albums has them displayed by date as I set up but now I want them alpha-sorted in this instance. What do I do in this case.

The Album.sortTags setting is global, so it isn't possible to have some album lists sorted by date and other album lists sorted by name. The alphaGroup setting is global as well.