Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jriver MC18 complains...
30-07-2013, 15:19
Jriver MC18 complains...
Apologies for my first post on this forum being a question, but I'm unable to find a solution here or elsewhere. This is my problem with a little context mixed in:

I've been checking out various upnp servers for my Qnap TS119P II and decided to settle on Minimserver because of its speed and configurability. It's running nicely on the Qnap and works great with BubbleUpnp as controller (Minimwatch works fine too on all my computers).

The problem, however, is with Jriver MC18 that I use as renderer. It refuses to play nice with Minimserver, complaining that search is not supported and 'general upnp support' (whatever that may be in relation to Minimserver) is not found whenever I try to switch to the Minimserver library. This does not happen with e.g. Twonkymedia (6 or 7).

I did find some posts on this forum about the lack of a (fully?) implemented search function in Minimserver, but I'm hoping that this is not the root of the problem and that I'm overlooking something horribly obvious.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Jelle
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
30-07-2013, 15:52
RE: Jriver MC18 complains...
(30-07-2013 15:19)J.S. Wrote:  Apologies for my first post on this forum being a question, but I'm unable to find a solution here or elsewhere. This is my problem with a little context mixed in:

I've been checking out various upnp servers for my Qnap TS119P II and decided to settle on Minimserver because of its speed and configurability. It's running nicely on the Qnap and works great with BubbleUpnp as controller (Minimwatch works fine too on all my computers).

The problem, however, is with Jriver MC18 that I use as renderer. It refuses to play nice with Minimserver, complaining that search is not supported and 'general upnp support' (whatever that may be in relation to Minimserver) is not found whenever I try to switch to the Minimserver library. This does not happen with e.g. Twonkymedia (6 or 7).

I did find some posts on this forum about the lack of a (fully?) implemented search function in Minimserver, but I'm hoping that this is not the root of the problem and that I'm overlooking something horribly obvious.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Jelle

MinimServer doesn't currently support UPnP Search. Most control points use UPnP Browse to access the server browse trees, but it appears that for some reason JRiver uses UPnP Search to do this.

I don't understand what is meant by a lack of general UPnP support. Apart from the missing Search capability (an optional part of UPnP), MinimServer has good support for all UPnP features.
30-07-2013, 16:19
Thanks for your quick reply! I assume the general complaint about upnp support is a result of the missing search capability then. Hopefully there's an option in Jriver to use upnp Browse instead of Search or perhaps there's a workaround: I can't imagine I'm the first Jriver user running into this 'problem'.
31-07-2013, 11:52
Well, after a lot of searching the internet and experimenting I gave up: JRiver will not play nice with Minimserver :-( Hopefully MC19 or a future version of Minimserver will solve this problem.
31-07-2013, 11:57
(31-07-2013 11:52)J.S. Wrote:  Well, after a lot of searching the internet and experimenting I gave up: JRiver will not play nice with Minimserver :-( Hopefully MC19 or a future version of Minimserver will solve this problem.

I'm sorry to hear this. I'm hoping to add UPnP Search capability to MinimServer in a future release, but I can't say when that will happen.
31-07-2013, 13:50
I'll keep checking occasionally to see if there's a solution from JRiver or UPnP Search in MinimServer. It's not that I'm married to JRiver MC, but so far haven't found a better player for Windows.

Anyway, keep up the good work!
01-08-2013, 16:07
(31-07-2013 13:50)J.S. Wrote:  I'll keep checking occasionally to see if there's a solution from JRiver or UPnP Search in MinimServer. It's not that I'm married to JRiver MC, but so far haven't found a better player for Windows.

Anyway, keep up the good work!

See this post for some good news! Smile
01-08-2013, 20:30
Wow, that's fast Cool I'll be anxiously awaiting the next release. Thanks for the heads up!