Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[unknown] Artist problem
18-07-2013, 22:37 (This post was last modified: 18-07-2013 22:37 by scrutney2.)
[unknown] Artist problem
Hi there,

I am running Minimserver 0.72 on my Synology DS110j NAS.

When I select Artist, I see everything with an Album Artist tag, as expected, and a few tracks tagged with Artist but not Album artist, also as I would expect.

However, most such tracks appear under [unknown], listed by the track title. In Kinsky Desktop, the titles are all I have to go on - not very useful. On Kinsky iPad, the artist is shown under the track name, proving that the artist tag is present.

Any idea why these tracks do not appear in the Artist container??

I hope this issue can be resolved, as Minimserver is otherwise a great piece of software!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
19-07-2013, 07:59 (This post was last modified: 19-07-2013 08:00 by simoncn.)
RE: [unknown] Artist problem
(18-07-2013 22:37)scrutney2 Wrote:  Hi there,

I am running Minimserver 0.72 on my Synology DS110j NAS.

When I select Artist, I see everything with an Album Artist tag, as expected, and a few tracks tagged with Artist but not Album artist, also as I would expect.

However, most such tracks appear under [unknown], listed by the track title. In Kinsky Desktop, the titles are all I have to go on - not very useful. On Kinsky iPad, the artist is shown under the track name, proving that the artist tag is present.

Any idea why these tracks do not appear in the Artist container??

I hope this issue can be resolved, as Minimserver is otherwise a great piece of software!

Have you checked the log to see if there are any warning or error messages?
19-07-2013, 10:05
I've checked the log and there's nothing that seems to relate to this problem (I have another issue with tracks not appearing in playlists but I will look into that another time!).
19-07-2013, 22:34
(18-07-2013 22:37)scrutney2 Wrote:  However, most such tracks appear under [unknown], listed by the track title. In Kinsky Desktop, the titles are all I have to go on - not very useful. On Kinsky iPad, the artist is shown under the track name, proving that the artist tag is present.

What format are the files that are causing problems (e.g., FLAC, WAV, MP3, M4A)?

As I understand it, with Kinsky Desktop these files are indexed under [untagged] and you see no artist information for these files. This would indicate that the files have no Artist/AlbumArtist tags, or that MinimServer couldn't read these tags, or that MinimServer found a conflict while reading these tags.

If MinimServer finds an AlbumArtist tag conflict, this would be reported as a warning in the log, and MinimServer would ignore the AlbumArtist tag value(s) for all tracks in the same album. If MinimServer is finding a large number of tagging problems, the warning messages for earlier files might not be visible in the log window because they have been replaced by messages for later files.

On Kinsky iPad, do these files appear under [untagged] in the index, or are they indexed under the correct artist? Are you running Kinsky Desktop and Kinsky iPad with the same MinimServer server instance?
20-07-2013, 19:38
(19-07-2013 22:34)simoncn Wrote:  
(18-07-2013 22:37)scrutney2 Wrote:  However, most such tracks appear under [unknown], listed by the track title. In Kinsky Desktop, the titles are all I have to go on - not very useful. On Kinsky iPad, the artist is shown under the track name, proving that the artist tag is present.

What format are the files that are causing problems (e.g., FLAC, WAV, MP3, M4A)?

As I understand it, with Kinsky Desktop these files are indexed under [untagged] and you see no artist information for these files. This would indicate that the files have no Artist/AlbumArtist tags, or that MinimServer couldn't read these tags, or that MinimServer found a conflict while reading these tags.

If MinimServer finds an AlbumArtist tag conflict, this would be reported as a warning in the log, and MinimServer would ignore the AlbumArtist tag value(s) for all tracks in the same album. If MinimServer is finding a large number of tagging problems, the warning messages for earlier files might not be visible in the log window because they have been replaced by messages for later files.

On Kinsky iPad, do these files appear under [untagged] in the index, or are they indexed under the correct artist? Are you running Kinsky Desktop and Kinsky iPad with the same MinimServer server instance?

The files are all mp3 & m4a (all tracks without AlbumArtist tags are singles that I have downloaded individually).

The tracks definitely all have Artist tags, as I have meticulously tagged them using mp3tag! And as I mentioned, the artist info shows up on Kinsky iPad (also under [untagged], same tracks as on Desktop). I am only running one instance of Minimserver for both Desktop & iPad.

There are probably 100 or more tracks so they might not be appearing in the log. Is it possible there are tags not visible to mp3tag that could be causing a conflict? If so I wouldn't know how to see them; they are also not visible in dBpoweramp, which I also use.

I could send you the log if that would help?
21-07-2013, 07:58
(20-07-2013 19:38)scrutney2 Wrote:  The files are all mp3 & m4a (all tracks without AlbumArtist tags are singles that I have downloaded individually).

The tracks definitely all have Artist tags, as I have meticulously tagged them using mp3tag! And as I mentioned, the artist info shows up on Kinsky iPad (also under [untagged], same tracks as on Desktop). I am only running one instance of Minimserver for both Desktop & iPad.

There are probably 100 or more tracks so they might not be appearing in the log. Is it possible there are tags not visible to mp3tag that could be causing a conflict? If so I wouldn't know how to see them; they are also not visible in dBpoweramp, which I also use.

I could send you the log if that would help?

If it is only 100 tracks, any messages should appear in the log. The problem with log messages scrolling out of sight only occurs when there are many hundreds or thousands of startup messages.

I don't understand why artist information shows up on Kinsky iPad but not Kinsky Desktop. The same artist information should be displayed by both of these.

It is possible for files to contain tags that MinimServer would see but Mp3tag wouldn't see. This can happen if an MP3 file contains multiple ID3v2 tags. MinimServer reads all these tags, but Mp3tag reads only the first tag. If MinimServer finds a tag conflict because of this, it puts a message in the log.

Are the problem tracks all part of an album (with AlbumArtist tags)? If so, this suggests that the problem might be caused by an AlbumArtist tag conflict.

I think the next steps are for me to look at the log and look at a couple of these problem tracks to see what tags they contain. I will you a PM with details of how to upload these files to my FTP server.
21-07-2013, 23:37
(20-07-2013 19:38)scrutney2 Wrote:  The files are all mp3 & m4a (all tracks without AlbumArtist tags are singles that I have downloaded individually).

Thanks for uploading these files. I have checked the log file and the audio files, and everything looks correct, as you said.

I have been able to reproduce this problem using your audio files. It looks like MinimServer doesn't handle the Artist tag correctly for files that don't have an Album tag. For these files, an All Artists index entry is created for the tagged artist value, but no Artist index entry is created. Is this consistent with what you are seeing?
22-07-2013, 08:40
(21-07-2013 23:37)simoncn Wrote:  

Thanks for uploading these files. I have checked the log file and the audio files, and everything looks correct, as you said.

I have been able to reproduce this problem using your audio files. It looks like MinimServer doesn't handle the Artist tag correctly for files that don't have an Album tag. For these files, an All Artists index entry is created for the tagged artist value, but no Artist index entry is created. Is this consistent with what you are seeing?

Yes, that's what I see. All Artists contains everything, including artists on compilations (I have a lot of DJ mix compilations, which is why I need the Artist index, to exclude compilation artists).
22-07-2013, 22:42
(22-07-2013 08:40)scrutney2 Wrote:  Yes, that's what I see. All Artists contains everything, including artists on compilations (I have a lot of DJ mix compilations, which is why I need the Artist index, to exclude compilation artists).

I understand why you need this to work. I am investigating how best to fix the problem. Thanks very much for letting me know about this.
23-07-2013, 09:00
(22-07-2013 22:42)simoncn Wrote:  
(22-07-2013 08:40)scrutney2 Wrote:  Yes, that's what I see. All Artists contains everything, including artists on compilations (I have a lot of DJ mix compilations, which is why I need the Artist index, to exclude compilation artists).

I understand why you need this to work. I am investigating how best to fix the problem. Thanks very much for letting me know about this.

No problem - happy to be part of the improvement process!