Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Play unplayed first & genre tags
13-03-2023, 18:36
Play unplayed first & genre tags
I am new to minimserver and have 2 questions to start.

1. I used to tag genre as "Jazz" and if it belongs to multiple genres "Jazz;Blues". That worked on my LMS squeezbox, but not as good as I wanted on minimserver. How can I get these songs displayed in both genres seperatly, instead of displaying a category as "Jazz;Blues"?

2. The main reason to come back to my owned music is that spotify "algorithms" me what to listen to. Everytime the same 100 songs out of a playlist om 1000"s of songs.
So has Minimserver a way to give preference to least played music first if shuffling all songs?

Many Thanks, Johan
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
13-03-2023, 18:57
RE: Play unplayed first & genre tags
(13-03-2023 18:36)jdg072 Wrote:  I am new to minimserver and have 2 questions to start.

1. I used to tag genre as "Jazz" and if it belongs to multiple genres "Jazz;Blues". That worked on my LMS squeezbox, but not as good as I wanted on minimserver. How can I get these songs displayed in both genres seperatly, instead of displaying a category as "Jazz;Blues"?

2. The main reason to come back to my owned music is that spotify "algorithms" me what to listen to. Everytime the same 100 songs out of a playlist om 1000"s of songs.
So has Minimserver a way to give preference to least played music first if shuffling all songs?

Many Thanks, Johan

The answer to your first question is to use "\\" as the genre separator and not ";".

Not sure about your second question.
13-03-2023, 20:09
(13-03-2023 18:57)RSJ Wrote:  The answer to your first question is to use "\\" as the genre separator and not ";".
\\ is the delimiter that Mp3Tag uses to signify that a tag is (to be) split into multiple values, it's not stored in the tag, and other apps have chosen to use different delimiters (foobar uses ; ).

(13-03-2023 18:36)jdg072 Wrote:  1. I used to tag genre as "Jazz" and if it belongs to multiple genres "Jazz;Blues". That worked on my LMS squeezbox, but not as good as I wanted on minimserver. How can I get these songs displayed in both genres seperatly, instead of displaying a category as "Jazz;Blues"?
If you're seeing "Jazz;Blues" in MinimServer then it's likely that your tags are stored incorrectly (not as a multi-value tag). What format are your music files and what tagging software do you use?

(13-03-2023 18:36)jdg072 Wrote:  2. The main reason to come back to my owned music is that spotify "algorithms" me what to listen to. Everytime the same 100 songs out of a playlist om 1000"s of songs.
In UPnP (unlike LMS) it's the control point (not the server) that manages the playback queue so this is outside the scope of the media server really, and I'm afraid I don't know of a control point that has this functionality. That being said I've only really used BubbleUPnP and Hi-Fi Cast.
13-03-2023, 21:33
OK thanks all. What tool do you use to edit TAGS on a NAS? I tried mp3tag, but it is very slow on network share.
13-03-2023, 22:06
(13-03-2023 21:33)jdg072 Wrote:  OK thanks all. What tool do you use to edit TAGS on a NAS? I tried mp3tag, but it is very slow on network share.

I think everything running over the network is going to be slow, unless someone knows of one that runs on the NAS itself. What NAS are you running?

If you've only got a limited number of Genre's that have this problem then there is a workaround using a tagUpdate script that would look something like:
Code:
@GENRE=Jazz;Blues
-GENRE=Jazz;Blues
+GENRE=Jazz
+GENRE=Blues

This change is made internally to MinimServer. For every file that has the genre "Jazz;Blues" it deletes the tag then creates one with a value of Jazz and another with a value of Blues.

Obviously you'd want to get them fixed at some point, but this would get you started.
14-03-2023, 11:44 (This post was last modified: 14-03-2023 12:02 by jdg072.)
(13-03-2023 22:06)simbun Wrote:  
(13-03-2023 21:33)jdg072 Wrote:  OK thanks all. What tool do you use to edit TAGS on a NAS? I tried mp3tag, but it is very slow on network share.

I think everything running over the network is going to be slow, unless someone knows of one that runs on the NAS itself. What NAS are you running?

If you've only got a limited number of Genre's that have this problem then there is a workaround using a tagUpdate script that would look something like:
Code:
@GENRE=Jazz;Blues
-GENRE=Jazz;Blues
+GENRE=Jazz
+GENRE=Blues

This change is made internally to MinimServer. For every file that has the genre "Jazz;Blues" it deletes the tag then creates one with a value of Jazz and another with a value of Blues.

Obviously you'd want to get them fixed at some point, but this would get you started.

I am running on an old QNAP TS 219+
Mostly FLAC and some mp3
I think I am going to copy all files to C:\ do the tagging and copy them back.
14-03-2023, 12:37
I'm pretty sure that's the problem, but before you start copying all your music across to the PC please try it first on at least one FLAC and one MP3 album (if you haven't done so already).