Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
a basic question abot UPnP
12-03-2023, 07:45
a basic question abot UPnP
Hi all
I have a blockage regarding UPnP, and more specifically about allowing UPnP or not on the router.

What I don't get is what is the use of turning UPnP on on the router ? I have read about the security issue, so I turned it off.

But turning UPnP off does not prevent minimserver to function normally. Therefore my question: what is the point of turning it on ?

Thx !
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-03-2023, 08:44
RE: a basic question abot UPnP
Here is what the documentation for my router (a Zyxel VMG1312-B10A) says about this option:

UPnP

Select Enable to activate UPnP. Be aware that anyone could use a UPnP application to open the web configurator's login screen without entering the Zyxel Device's IP address (although you must still enter the password to access the web configurator).

From this, it appears that this setting controls whether the router itself is discoverable using UPnP rather than enabling or disabling how UPnP discovery works for other devices. I have tried changing this setting and I see the same as you, that it doesn't affect UPnP discovery on my local network.

It is possible that other routers could handle this differently.
12-03-2023, 12:07
RE: a basic question abot UPnP
I believe - because yes, information from the router provider is sparse - it's more about the services the router offers, namely the Internet Gateway Device Protocol, which amongst other things lets applications set up port forwarding rules automatically.

If you're on Ubuntu I think you can use miniupnpc to test if your router has it enabled.