Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Version 2.2 update 235 not working on QTS 5.0.1
20-01-2023, 19:37
Version 2.2 update 235 not working on QTS 5.0.1
I used the QTS built-in update on my TS-451+ and therefore received MinimServer V2.2 update 235. Unfortunately it is not working. I'm getting this error message, also after restarting the QNAP NAS:
"Error writing data to license buffer: platform data error 2a"

The License tab doesn't work either, so I thought I'll purchase the full license and then somehow I should get it working. However, because the license tab is not working, I also cannot upgrade to the full license. When I click on the License tab, I receive the following error message:
Error writing data to license buffer: platform data error 2a; resetting to Starter Edition

So I'm wondering if V2.2 update 235 is not supported with my QTS version? My JRE Version is 8.151.2.3. What else could I check to figure out what's wrong?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
20-01-2023, 20:47 (This post was last modified: 20-01-2023 21:34 by simoncn.)
RE: Version 2.2 update 235 not working on QTS 5.0.1
This error is not related to MinimServer 2.2 update 235 or to your license. The code that produces this message has not changed for a long time, so you would get the same message on any older version of MinimServer 2.

As a first step, go to Control Panel in QTS and select System Status. Is the serial number of your QNAP shown correctly there? The "error 2a" message means that MinimServer was unable to obtain the serial number of your QNAP.

You might be able to fix the problem by powering the QNAP off and on. If you are still getting the error after this, there might be a problem with your machine or with your QTS installation. Sometimes a QTS update can cause a problem like this. Which version of QTS are you running now?
23-01-2023, 08:39
Thanks simoncn! I never had this error before, for any combination of QTS and MinimServer. I'm running the current QTS version 5.0.1.2248 since mid December, and had no problems with MinimServer before I upgraded to V2.2. However, at the same time I upgraded MinimServer I upgraded JRE as well aas Multimedia Console. Could that play a role? My QNAP serial number is Q198B17761. Do you know if there is any chance to go back to a previous QTS version?
23-01-2023, 11:12
Did you try powering the QNAP off and on? Also, did you read the serial number from the Control Panel > System Status screen or from a physical label on the device?
23-01-2023, 22:22
(23-01-2023 11:12)simoncn Wrote:  Did you try powering the QNAP off and on? Also, did you read the serial number from the Control Panel > System Status screen or from a physical label on the device?

Yes,I powered on/off (twice) - and I read the serial number from the control panel.
24-01-2023, 10:32
Thanks for this. I have done some further investigation and it appears there is an alternative way for applications to read the serial number on some QNAP models. I will send you a test build some time later today that uses this alternative approach.
24-01-2023, 22:56
PM sent.