Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wy no direct download links for MinimServer?
18-12-2022, 21:54
Wy no direct download links for MinimServer?
That can be used to install MinimServer on a headless linux server that has no GUI in which to "click the download link"?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
18-12-2022, 22:36
RE: Wy no direct download links for MinimServer?
How would you accept the terms and conditions if it were a direct download?

If you don't have a machine with a GUI that can be connected to the headless Linux server then you wouldn't be able to configure MinimServer, so whilst it's a minor inconvenience, it's not likely to represent a real problem, is it?
18-12-2022, 22:40 (This post was last modified: 18-12-2022 22:43 by AudioDoctor.)
(18-12-2022 22:36)simbun Wrote:  How would you accept the terms and conditions if it were a direct download?

If you don't have a machine with a GUI that can be connected to the headless Linux server then you wouldn't be able to configure MinimServer, so whilst it's a minor inconvenience, it's not likely to represent a real problem, is it?

well...

you're a ray of sunshine eh?

SO what you're saying is, just go elsewhere.

It just adds extra unnecessary steps and frustration that are definitely not necessary and most likely prevents people from using it.

It can't be too hard to figure out how to create a link that is usable by WGET. If the developer can't figure that out, why should I have any confidence in his software and it's quality?
18-12-2022, 22:52 (This post was last modified: 18-12-2022 22:53 by simbun.)
(18-12-2022 22:40)AudioDoctor Wrote:  
(18-12-2022 22:36)simbun Wrote:  How would you accept the terms and conditions if it were a direct download?

well...

you're a ray of sunshine eh?

SO what you're saying is, just go elsewhere.
I'm sorry you took it that way, that was not my intention, and that's certainly not what I was saying.
18-12-2022, 23:06
The reason is as simbun has said, to ensure the terms and conditions are accepted.

If you have a machine that can run a web browser and do the download, you can transfer the download to the headless server using scp or similar.

After this, you can install, run and configure MinimServer using terminal commands with no GUI.
19-12-2022, 02:32
I can, and I did. I had to figure it out.

I don't really want to be a linux sysadmin just to listen to music but I guess that's the price to pay for quality sound playback these days.
23-12-2022, 10:28
(19-12-2022 02:32)AudioDoctor Wrote:  I don't really want to be a linux sysadmin just to listen to music

well you've already set youself up with some kind of headless linux machine so what did you expect?