Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Album artist tag for multidisc albums
26-09-2022, 09:16
Album artist tag for multidisc albums
I store each disc of multidisc album in a separate subfolder under each multialbum main folder, and allow minimserver to merges album contents from subfolders by suffixing the album name with the string [disc <n>]. This works for me and I am happy with the result. Big Grin

But for multidisc albums like operas which involve different artists across each track (this means that the artist values are not the same for each track), I find it a bit time comsuming to compile all the artist names in each track under the subfolders into the AlbumArtist tag for merging of the content in each subfolders.

Just wonder if there any way that minimserver can automatically identify all the artist names for each tracks under different subfolders, compile and generate the inforamtion into the AlbumArtist tag for each multidisc album? Many thanks!!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
26-09-2022, 11:52
RE: Album artist tag for multidisc albums
The recommended approach for this is to tag only the main artist for the album in the AlbumArtist tag and tag individual artists using Artist tags. If there is no main artist, you could tag AlbumArtist as a generic name such as Various Artists. If each disc of a multidisc album has the same AlbumArtist tag, this will enable MinimServer to merge the album discs correctly.
30-09-2022, 22:11 (This post was last modified: 01-10-2022 07:36 by mminga.)
I use only the artist tag split by MP3 Tag and don't display album artistm as I don't want to separate this information.
Example for a split artist tag:
Tag shown with file itself (opened with Notepad++): ARTIST=Fadoul ARTIST=Various Artists
Tag shown by MP3 Tag: Fadoul\\Various Artists
01-10-2022, 11:03 (This post was last modified: 01-10-2022 11:19 by simbun.)
(30-09-2022 22:11)mminga Wrote:  I use only the artist tag split by MP3 Tag and don't display album artistm as I don't want to separate this information.
Example for a split artist tag:
Tag shown with file itself (opened with Notepad++): ARTIST=Fadoul ARTIST=Various Artists
Tag shown by MP3 Tag: Fadoul\\Various Artists
Are you saying that you don't populate the tag for Album Artist just the tag for Track Artist?
Just curious how you're getting multidisc albums grouping correctly if the tracks of that album have different track artists, unless of course you're storing all the tracks that belong to an album under a single folder?

As you can see from a recent post it's trivial (using tagValue: .merge) to combine the Album Artist and Track Artist tags to produce a single view of ALL artists if that's what you want, so you don't need to resort to overloading the Track Artist tag to achieve the same thing - as long as you live solely in the MinimServer world of course ;-)