Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Multiple instances on Synology NAS
13-09-2022, 08:40 (This post was last modified: 13-09-2022 10:00 by gbrist.)
RE: Multiple instances on Synology NAS
(13-09-2022 07:59)simoncn Wrote:  Are you able to view the MinimServer Properties window for the Docker instance to see and change the values of ohnet.port and http.port?

Dont seem to be able to change anything..
These are some pics that may help...

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
13-09-2022, 14:50 (This post was last modified: 13-09-2022 14:57 by simbun.)
I'm not sure what GUI is available to configure MinimServer on the Synology, but if you're somewhat proficient on the command line you can use mscript to make the ohnet change simoncn was talking about.

You'll need to go into the terminal of the MinimServer docker container, and cd to the root of the minimserver install (I'm guessing '/opt/minimserver' from looking at the image), then:

Code:
# show current properties
./bin/mscript -c props

# modify ohnet port
./bin/mscript -c "prop ohnet.port=9792"

# restart to apply changes
./bin/mscript -c restart

# only syntax errors are highlighted in interactive mode, so you'll need to check logic errors using
tail ./data/minimserver-out.log

I'm assuming the installation layout is the same as a vanilla Linux install, but that might not be the case.
13-09-2022, 17:52
I don't recommend making a change to ohnet.port without first viewing the current values of ohnet.port and http.port. Specifically, if http.port is currently set to 9792, you should not also set ohnet.port to 9792.

To view the current values of these MinimServer properties, you need to have MinimWatch running on another computer (Windows, Mac or Linux) on your local network. This provides a GUI for viewing and changing all MinimServer properties. For details of how to install MinimWatch, see this page.

It is possible that the problem that is preventing the Docker instance of MinimServer being seen by your renderers might also prevent MinimWatch from showing the MinimServer configuration for the Docker instance. If this turns out to be the case, we can move on to other options for viewing and changing the MinimServer configuration.
13-09-2022, 19:58 (This post was last modified: 13-09-2022 22:05 by simbun.)
(13-09-2022 17:52)simoncn Wrote:  I don't recommend making a change to ohnet.port without first viewing the current values of ohnet.port and http.port. Specifically, if http.port is currently set to 9792, you should not also set ohnet.port to 9792.
I was only showing how to implement the change you proposed in Post 8 :-)
MinimWatch doesn't complain about setting both options to the same port (it also seems to work at least in the short term), so maybe this should be prevented.

(13-09-2022 17:52)simoncn Wrote:  It is possible that the problem that is preventing the Docker instance of MinimServer being seen by your renderers might also prevent MinimWatch from showing the MinimServer configuration for the Docker instance.
This is primarily why I gave the mscript option, but another reason is some people don't want to install Java on their PC just to configure MinimServer, I install them in a sandbox but I appreciate most people don't have/want that option.
13-09-2022, 23:04 (This post was last modified: 13-09-2022 23:12 by gbrist.)
(13-09-2022 19:58)simbun Wrote:  
(13-09-2022 17:52)simoncn Wrote:  I don't recommend making a change to ohnet.port without first viewing the current values of ohnet.port and http.port. Specifically, if http.port is currently set to 9792, you should not also set ohnet.port to 9792.
I was only showing how to implement the change you proposed in Post 8 :-)
MinimWatch doesn't complain about setting both options to the same port (it also seems to work at least in the short term), so maybe this should be prevented.

(13-09-2022 17:52)simoncn Wrote:  It is possible that the problem that is preventing the Docker instance of MinimServer being seen by your renderers might also prevent MinimWatch from showing the MinimServer configuration for the Docker instance.
This is primarily why I gave the mscript option, but another reason is some people don't want to install Java on their PC just to configure MinimServer, I install them in a sandbox but I appreciate most people don't have/want that option.

While I do appreciate your help with this I am not that familiar with this command level programming.
The installation of Minimwatch and Minimserver on the PC is not that staright forward (unless I am missing something).
Remember this is the starter version of Minimserver that I am using.
I started along this path just asking the question as to whether the full licensed version of Minimserver allow for multiple instances as did Asset before I decided to purchase it?
I was hoping Minimserver was as easy to navigate as Asset.
Is the full licensed version easier to navigate / configure than the starter?
The starter is easy to setup as there is only a very few configurable changes that I can see.
I cannot make head or tail of Minimwatch or Minimserver as far as the Windows version is concerned.
My NAS just is simply there for playing my ripped music files and storing photos.
The NAS is a relatively plain config.
What I can't understand is why the starter Minimserver works fine but the Docker version has issues but that could be down to the ideosyncrasies of the Docker. ?
This is the first time I've tried anything in Docker.
I would find it amazing if I am the only person to have tried the Docker instance of Minimserver so was expecting that maybe others had come across this issue.
Remember I can use Asset (both instances) and Minimserver with either Foobar2000, mconnect Player HD, HifiCast DLNA, Neutron, BubbleUPnP with no problems.
For me Minimserver does one thing better than Asset (for my usage anyway) which I want to use it and hence my quest to try and get a second instance going whether it be the starter or licensed.
Thanks for helping.
14-09-2022, 08:16
Your setup of two MinimServer instances on a Synology NAS (one using Docker) has definitely been used successfully by many users including myself. There might be some issues with how this setup interacts with the Synology firewall and this is why I suggested changing the MinimServer configuration setting of ohnet.port to see if this makes any difference.

I have been away from home for last few days without access to a Synology NAS. When I return home this evening, I will set up a test environment that is the same as yours (including the Synology firewall) and see whether both MinimServer instances are discoverable by other devices. I will post back here either today or tomorrow with the results of this test.
14-09-2022, 09:11 (This post was last modified: 14-09-2022 09:35 by gbrist.)
(14-09-2022 08:16)simoncn Wrote:  Your setup of two MinimServer instances on a Synology NAS (one using Docker) has definitely been used successfully by many users including myself. There might be some issues with how this setup interacts with the Synology firewall and this is why I suggested changing the MinimServer configuration setting of ohnet.port to see if this makes any difference.

I have been away from home for last few days without access to a Synology NAS. When I return home this evening, I will set up a test environment that is the same as yours (including the Synology firewall) and see whether both MinimServer instances are discoverable by other devices. I will post back here either today or tomorrow with the results of this test.
I am just not sure how or where to change the setting of ohnet.port?
Will wait and wee how you fare with your Synology.
Thanks again
15-09-2022, 09:20
My first test didn't show any problem. Both MinimServer instances are visible in BubbleUPnP without any changes to ohnet.port. I have enabled the Synology firewall but I haven't added any rules. What Synology firewall rules do you have in your setup?
15-09-2022, 13:25 (This post was last modified: 16-09-2022 03:56 by gbrist.)
(15-09-2022 09:20)simoncn Wrote:  My first test didn't show any problem. Both MinimServer instances are visible in BubbleUPnP without any changes to ohnet.port. I have enabled the Synology firewall but I haven't added any rules. What Synology firewall rules do you have in your setup?

Thanks for doing that. Even though I disable the firewall and rules and follow the instruction I cannot see the Docker Minimserver appear on my phone or tablet using BubbleUPnP or HiFiCast apps. But can see the Asset and Minimserver starter.
So I'm a bit stumped.Not sure what I'm doing wrong.
So you just followed the instructions under the heading:
Running MinimServer 2 in a Docker container on a Synology NAS?
I'll give it another try in the morning.

Ok..this morning deleted the container and reinstalled the docker minimserver again.
Even with the firewall off and no rules still could not see the docker minimserver presented as a UPnP point on Bubble or Hificast or mConnect.
So I changed my Router to an ASUS RT AC88U just (grasping at straws) and this did not change anything.
Were you running DSM 7 on your Synology?
Even though the Docker Minimserver starts and looks active I do not hear any increase in activity from the NAS thinking that it should be indexing?
So I am wondering what is the difference between the Docker version of Minimserver and the regular version?
What rules are you running in Firewall? At present my Firewall is disabled.

Thanks.
16-09-2022, 14:13
I will do this again from scratch and post screenshots for all steps.

For testing, I am running with the firewall enabled and no rules. Running with the firewall disabled makes no difference.