Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New to NAS and MinimServer
11-08-2022, 15:04
Question New to NAS and MinimServer
I have just bought a QNAP TS-133 and am new to the technology involved, so am struggling with a lot of the setup instructions provided. I bought the NAS for 3 main purposes - as a media server using Minimserver, a place to store photos and as an archive for data no longer required on my laptop. I intend to backup everything to iDrive. As this is a single bay NAS I do not need to concern myself with RAID so my intention was to set up a single Storage Pool, and then set up separate Data Volumes for media, photos and archive. Is this the correct approach?

I have installed Minimserver but I am struggling to know where to put my media files. Please suggest the folder and location these should go in. Do I just load the folder for each artist in the Multimedia folder that has been setup by the install, and does it search all subfolders?

Finally, I have installed the QNAP Media Streamer Add On. Am I correct in assuming this is not required as I have chosen to use Minimserver? Regards, Richard

.docx  QNAP File Station.docx (Size: 521.45 KB / Downloads: 1)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-08-2022, 11:07
RE: New to NAS and MinimServer
When you install MinimServer on a QNAP, it is set up by default to use the Multimedia folder as the location of your music files. If you want to change this to some other folder, you can update the Content directory field on the MinimServer configuration web page.

MinimServer automatically scans all folders under the content directory folder looking for audio files. You can organise your music library under this folder in any way that you choose. If your files are tagged correctly, your folder structure should not affect how you see your library when browsing from a control point.

MinimServer does not need or use the QNAP Media Streaming Add-on. It is possible that having this running could incur some performance overhead, so I would suggest that you disable or uninstall it unless you need it for some other reason.
12-08-2022, 11:12
many thanks for your response - now to rip my whole CD collection! Rolleyes
13-08-2022, 16:36
It's best to start with a few albums first to make sure your tagging scheme meets your needs and gives you the browsing experience that you want.
13-08-2022, 17:21
Yes, looking good now. Just started the iDrive backup so I don't lose everything like I did with my old NAS! Thanks for advice. Richard