Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trying MinimServer, but mconnect can't see it
16-04-2022, 13:16
Trying MinimServer, but mconnect can't see it
Hi there

I am trying the MinimServer package on a Synology (because the simpler 'Media Server' package has no good browsing experience on the iOS mconnect Player client).

So, i have installed MinimServer from Synology's oackage system, then run it, then entered through the web interface on port 9790 the location of my music on the Synology.

But when I fire up mconnect Player - I cannot see my music on the Synology. :-(

What's missing? Do I need further configuration? ("Media Server' didn't need any configuration.) Do I need necessarily a computer client (MinimWatch) for this - or can I do everything through the web interface?

Thanks for pointers!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
16-04-2022, 15:58
RE: Trying MinimServer, but mconnect can't see it
It seems Minimserver is not running.
Follow this guide https://minimserver.com/quickstart-synology.html
16-04-2022, 16:58
If you can see the MinimServer configuration page on port 9790, MinimServer is running.

As the Synology server is visible but MinimServer is not visible, the problem might be your Synology firewall configuration (if you are using the Synology firewall). For details of how to configure the Synology firewall to enable access to MinimServer, see this post.
17-04-2022, 08:13
(16-04-2022 16:58)simoncn Wrote:  If you can see the MinimServer configuration page on port 9790, MinimServer is running.

Yes, I can see the config page.

(16-04-2022 16:58)simoncn Wrote:  As the Synology server is visible but MinimServer is not visible, the problem might be your Synology firewall configuration (if you are using the Synology firewall). For details of how to configure the Synology firewall to enable access to MinimServer, see this post.

Just followed the instructions about Syno's firewall in the linked post - and it works now! mconnect can see the music server! Yeah!

Thanks a lot for chiming in! I really appreciated it!
17-04-2022, 08:22
PS: Just started playing with MinimServer - and it does solve the issue I had with other Media Servers:

When in the client mconnect I choose Browse -> By Genre -> Chamber Music I expected to see all albums in this genre (from which I then would select one), but instead with another Media Server I got all songs in this genre. Pretty useless.

With MinimServer whereas I then can choose -> Albums and then I see all albums in the Chamber Music genre. Wonderful!!

Thanks for MinimServer and thanks @simoncn for helping me out with my config issue!
17-04-2022, 14:58
Hi all,

Some curse has obviously afflicted all Minim Server Synology users today because everything stopped working for me today, too.

The config page is accessible online at port 9790, but it says "stopped".

What stopped it? Synology OS?

I followed the steps outlined above and have enabled MinimServer in Synology's firewall rules. Then I performed a rescan and it now says "running". I've tested it and it's working. But why did it stop of its own accord?

The Synology Package Center is also informing that an update is available for MinimServer. Is that related to the stopping of the installed version?

Thank you.
17-04-2022, 15:16 (This post was last modified: 17-04-2022 15:17 by simoncn.)
No other Synology user has reported this issue with the MinimServer configuration page saying that MinimServer is stopped. The problem reported by the OP was that MinimServer was running but not accessible to control points.

You might be able to find some information about what has caused MinimServer to stop by looking in the minimserver.log file in the MinimServer/appData folder on your Synology NAS.

Changing the firewall rules would not make any difference to this. Also, having an update available would not cause MinimServer to stop. When you did a rescan, this includes a MinimServer restart and this is why MinimServer is running now.