Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Admin Interface
09-06-2013, 08:39
Admin Interface
Hi there,

I just installed Minimserver on my Linux box and I am really impressed. Without any knowledge about upnp and reading just one Web page I was able to access my music collection via this protocol in a nice and clean manner. I have tagged my whole collection with beets and puddletagger and a couple of home made scripts. So thanks for your efforts.

One thing I would like to see is an admin interface. On my Box the Gui seems to be not working, in that a popup comes up and when I press on it, it disappears. IMHO it would be a good idea to provide this kind of Interface via a web interface.

What do you think?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-06-2013, 09:47
RE: Admin Interface
(09-06-2013 08:39)triplem Wrote:  Hi there,

I just installed Minimserver on my Linux box and I am really impressed. Without any knowledge about upnp and reading just one Web page I was able to access my music collection via this protocol in a nice and clean manner. I have tagged my whole collection with beets and puddletagger and a couple of home made scripts. So thanks for your efforts.

One thing I would like to see is an admin interface. On my Box the Gui seems to be not working, in that a popup comes up and when I press on it, it disappears. IMHO it would be a good idea to provide this kind of Interface via a web interface.

What do you think?

I'm hoping to add a web interface in a future release. For now, it's important to solve your GUI problem so that you can use all the features of MinimServer.

What Linux distribution are you running? What do you see in the popup before it disappears?

Do you see an icon with a minim symbol in the system tray (menu bar)? If so, try right-clicking on the minim icon.
09-06-2013, 09:59
Hi Simon, thanks for the fast reply.

Me is using ArchLinux on my Laptop with Gnome 3. The popup shows "Minimserver starting up", and then "Minimserver[athene] started", then the popup disappears. There is no Icon appearing anywhere ;-(

I have started the server via "java -jar ../lib/minimserver.jar" on the commandline in the data directory.
09-06-2013, 17:23 (This post was last modified: 09-06-2013 17:28 by audio_elf.)
Not sure if this is relevant; but you should be able to run the Minimwatch applet on another computer to control minimserver.

Eloise
09-06-2013, 21:16
(09-06-2013 09:59)triplem Wrote:  Hi Simon, thanks for the fast reply.

Me is using ArchLinux on my Laptop with Gnome 3. The popup shows "Minimserver starting up", and then "Minimserver[athene] started", then the popup disappears. There is no Icon appearing anywhere ;-(

I have started the server via "java -jar ../lib/minimserver.jar" on the commandline in the data directory.

This seems to be caused by an incompatibility between Java and Gnome (see this page for details). Which Java distribution and version do you have installed? The problem might be fixed by updating to the latest level of OpenJDK IcedTea.
10-06-2013, 11:13
(09-06-2013 21:16)simoncn Wrote:  This seems to be caused by an incompatibility between Java and Gnome (see this page for details). Which Java distribution and version do you have installed? The problem might be fixed by updating to the latest level of OpenJDK IcedTea.

Gash, did not knew this one. I am developing with Java, but do not update my Java version regularly. Should have done ;-)

Will try tonight to update the Java version and report back. Thanks for your effort.
10-06-2013, 19:28
I have tried now with two java versions (both from oracle) 1.7.0_21 and 1.6.0_45. Version 7 shows me at least an entry in the "task tray", but unfortunately I cannot right click or left click or anything on this icon ;-(

It is not really important for me, I can look into the log-files without any trouble via the command line. Could you tell me, how the loglevel could be increased, so that I do see more then the info-messages?

If you need help for the implementation of the HTTP-Admin interface, feel free to ask, I would be more then happy to help.
10-06-2013, 21:55
(10-06-2013 19:28)triplem Wrote:  I have tried now with two java versions (both from oracle) 1.7.0_21 and 1.6.0_45. Version 7 shows me at least an entry in the "task tray", but unfortunately I cannot right click or left click or anything on this icon ;-(

It is not really important for me, I can look into the log-files without any trouble via the command line. Could you tell me, how the loglevel could be increased, so that I do see more then the info-messages?

If you need help for the implementation of the HTTP-Admin interface, feel free to ask, I would be more then happy to help.

Can you try OpenJDK, or do you need to stay with Oracle Java for some reason? According the the thread I referenced earlier, this problem was fixed in OpenJDK IcedTea 6 version 1.11.

The fallback if the GUI doesn't work is to use the console interface instead. To do this, start MinimServer using the command

java -jar ../lib/minimserver.jar --set watch.view=console

You can type 'help' to see the commands available, and look in the User guide for details of how to use them.

You can increase the logging level by editing the minimserver.config file and adding the line

.logLevel = verbose

This will produce slightly more log information. For debugging MinimServer problems, the logging levels 'debug' and 'trace' are available, but these aren't recommended for normal use.
11-06-2013, 08:46
Thats all I need right now, thanks for your help ;-)