Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is UPnP a rubish protocol ???
16-09-2022, 12:41 (This post was last modified: 16-09-2022 12:49 by lyapounov.)
RE: Is UPnP a rubish protocol ???
(15-09-2022 18:50)stefano_mbp Wrote:  UPNP server (ie Minimserver) must be reached by you control point (tablet/smartphone) … where is Wi-Fi access point? If it is the router there should be 4 hops but if it is elsewhere … the hops could be more than 4

OK

4G Box -> Asus Router (on DMZ) -> Main Mesh & Mesh Network (TP-Link Deco Wifi6 on passthru mode, not router)

Mesh antenna -> ethernet to Switch1 (cisco) -> Synology, renderer, TV and Oppo 105D

Control point on the Mesh wifi network

Then I introduced the Buffalo
Mesh antenna -> Switch1 -> TV and Oppo 105D and Switch2 (Buffalo) -> Synology and renderer on this second switch

I went back to switch1 only

3 days fine. Then the problem came back.

Also, I never had issue with the synology, always visible. It is only my Klimax which regularly dissappears (always been on same switch as Syno)

There is only one network. Nothing is connected to the 4Gbox (192.168.1.1) but everything through the router DHCP (192.168.73.x)

Synology like klimax have fixed IP adresses from the router, outside the DHCP range
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
16-09-2022, 13:20 (This post was last modified: 16-09-2022 13:23 by stefano_mbp.)
... so renderer (Klimax) and Synology are connected to a switch (*) which is in turn connected to a Mesh antenna ... I don't know Mesh networks, I have a wifi network based on Apple Airport Extreme and Airport Express (which, however, is only used by the tablet ... and is very stable).
Could you try, at least temporarily, to connect the switch (*) to the router (thus eliminating the wifi network)?
… btw … when your Klimax disappears is it still on the network? That’s to say : can you find it using a network scanner like Fing? or using another control point app like Linn or MConnect?
16-09-2022, 19:03
(16-09-2022 13:20)stefano_mbp Wrote:  ... so renderer (Klimax) and Synology are connected to a switch (*) which is in turn connected to a Mesh antenna ... I don't know Mesh networks, I have a wifi network based on Apple Airport Extreme and Airport Express (which, however, is only used by the tablet ... and is very stable).
Could you try, at least temporarily, to connect the switch (*) to the router (thus eliminating the wifi network)?
… btw … when your Klimax disappears is it still on the network? That’s to say : can you find it using a network scanner like Fing? or using another control point app like Linn or MConnect?

Yes, the Klimax is always on the network. The TCP/IP side is working as charm.

When the Klimax dissapears, what I do is close the Lumin app on my iPad, and reopen it again; and miracle, the Klimax is back !

So again, the network side is remarquably stable. It is UPnP which does not work... Therefore the name of my thread ;-)
16-09-2022, 19:40
I am quite convinced that Lumïn app is the problem.
I use it too and sometimes I need to swipe off the app and relaunch it.
But apps like Kazoo, Linn and MConnect player doesn’t have this “issue” but Lumïn is way better therefore I’m still using it … cannot say anything about Android apps a I’m on iPhone and iPad.
Do you need to use Bubbleupnpserver with Lumïn app (I do)?
16-09-2022, 19:49
… and one more thing … a couple of friends of mine use Lumïn app with Lumïn streamer (U1 Mini and T2) and they don’t have this issue, I suppose therefore that the issue could be related to using the app with renderers other than Lumïn
16-09-2022, 19:51
… UPNP is solid infact there isn’t any problem discovering Minimserver ….
16-09-2022, 20:29
(16-09-2022 19:40)stefano_mbp Wrote:  I am quite convinced that Lumïn app is the problem.
I use it too and sometimes I need to swipe off the app and relaunch it.
But apps like Kazoo, Linn and MConnect player doesn’t have this “issue” ....

I use the LUMIN app for testing only. I have had similar problems with the LUMIN app not discovering MinimServer and needing to be relaunched to fix the problem.

The UPnP protocol works reliably if the router, server, renderer and control point implement it correctly.
20-09-2022, 10:56
(16-09-2022 20:29)simoncn Wrote:  I use the LUMIN app for testing only. I have had similar problems with the LUMIN app not discovering MinimServer and needing to be relaunched to fix the problem.

The UPnP protocol works reliably if the router, server, renderer and control point implement it correctly.

Funny, on my side I never had any problem seeing MinimServer. It is my Klimax which Lumin is loosing.

Then it goes back to my question: how come in the TCP/IP world, everything is always correctly implemented, and not in the UPnP world ?