Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newby Wants Help With Settings
01-03-2022, 17:51
Newby Wants Help With Settings
Hi
Currently use Logitech Squeezebox with wav convolution file.
I want to try the same file on my Cambridge Audio streamer rather than stream via the Squeezebox, which I intend to phase out, and am getting lost!
The Squeezbox is simple: install addon, select option, then done!

1. Just want to try with 16bit 44.1KHz flac file for now, so set:
stream transcode: flac:wav;

2. I have ffmpeg installed and used elsewhere by various other programs. As these all seem to want their own install tied to them I followed the advice given by 'tgb' on another thread 'convolution filtering':
"According to few posts on forums, the basic ffmpeg in the Syno is "very basic".
Thus, I went there => https://synocommunity.com/package/ffmpeg
You download the right version according to the proc of your Syno => manual install => done."
Downloaded version 4.3.3-39 / 7.0 x86_64 for my Win 10 x64 pc.

3. Followed the instructions:
"On Windows, the full path to the opt/bin directory is
C:\Users\your-user-name\AppData\Roaming\MinimServer\opt\bin
The AppData directory is hidden by default in Windows Explorer and you can access it by typing this path in full into the Windows Explorer address bar."
Then created a 'bin/ffmpeg' sub-folder and placed the ffmpeg *.spk file into that.

4. Set:
stream converter: opt/bin/ffmpeg
I now get "Converter not installed..."

5. Followed the instructions:
"To enable convolution filtering, set the stream.options property to
convOut=-i filter-file-path -lavfi filter-chain
where filter-file-path is the fully-qualified absolute path for your convolution filter file and filter-chain is a filter chain containing afir followed optionally by any valid options supported by FFmpeg for the afir filter. For example, if you specify
convOut=-i /home/myuser/myfilter.wav -lavfi afir
FFmpeg uses the afir filter with the convolution file /home/myuser/myfilter.wav and no afir options.

6. Created a new sub-folder in the user bin folder:
opt/bin/convolution
then added a copy of my pre-made wav file '1impulse.wav'.

5. Set:
stream options: convOut=-i /bin/convolution/1impulse.wav
(I'll worry about options later)

So, from 4. above can anyone help to resolve the problem with the 'stream converter'?
Regards and thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-03-2022, 18:45 (This post was last modified: 01-03-2022 18:47 by simoncn.)
RE: Newby Wants Help With Settings
Are you running MinimServer on Windows or on Synology? You seem to be trying to use a Synology version of FFmpeg on Windows.
02-03-2022, 11:32 (This post was last modified: 02-03-2022 11:38 by AnnieBody.)
(01-03-2022 18:45)simoncn Wrote:  Are you running MinimServer on Windows or on Synology? You seem to be trying to use a Synology version of FFmpeg on Windows.

Many thanks for your reply.
Running on Windows 10 x64. Really not sure what was meant by Synology or even ffmpeg so blindly followed the instruction that worked for them!
Did the following:
1. Downloaded the latest Win 10 version from:
https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/how-to-ins...n-windows/
2. Unzipped.
3. Renamed the extracted folder to ffmpeg and copied it to:
C:\Users\your-user-name\AppData\Roaming\MinimServer\opt\bin
4. Run cmd as an administrator and set the environment path variable for ffmpeg by running the following command:
setx /m PATH "C:\Users\your-user-name\AppData\Roaming\MinimServer \opt\bin\ffmpeg;%PATH%"
cmd reports " SUCCESS: Specified value was saved."
5. Rebooted PC then verified the installation by running cmd as an administrator:
ffmpeg -version

Modified the setting:
stream converter: ffmpeg
This appears to have solved the ffmpeg issue, but then I got the error:
'convOut' version incorrect for converter'...

After rereading 'streaming options' and 'convolution filtering' in userguide I
finished up with:
stream options: convOut=-i "C:\Users\your-user-name\AppData\Roaming\MinimServer\opt\bin\convolution\1impulse.wav" -lavfi afir
Where all instances of 'your-user-name' above is replaced with my own username!

No errors!
My initial settings to get a working minimal convolution file are thus:
stream.converter: ffmpeg
stream.options: convOut=-i "C:\Users\your-user-name\AppData\Roaming\MinimServer\opt\bin\convolution\1impulse.wav" -lavfi afir
stream.transcode: flac:wav;

I hope this helps others get started down this road.
02-03-2022, 15:08
Thanks for posting this.

One small point: it would be better not to put the convolution file in the MinimServer opt/bin folder as this folder is intended for third-party programs used by MinimServer and MinimStreamer.
04-03-2022, 17:42
(02-03-2022 15:08)simoncn Wrote:  Thanks for posting this.

One small point: it would be better not to put the convolution file in the MinimServer opt/bin folder as this folder is intended for third-party programs used by MinimServer and MinimStreamer.

So what would be the 'best' folder for this file?
Under MinimServer\opt\bin?
Should I also move the ffmpeg folder too as they are both sub-directories?

Two further questions regarding the conv options:
1. If I want to use the convolver file for all tracks played, is there a *.* equivalent option to use in the 'stream.transcode' settings or will I have to include an option for every music format streamed?

2. When listening to headphones I have no need to use the DRC file. Is there an easy way to disable it? I was thinking of just using a batch file to change the filename as you don't appear get a properties error if the named wav file isn't found.
Also, I was thinking of creating a second equaliser wav file to get a level response with my headphones and was thinking I could use the batch file for renaming and switching between both options.
Is there a better/easier way to do this in minimserver?
04-03-2022, 18:21
For the second question: you can use different profiles to manage different configurations
04-03-2022, 18:34 (This post was last modified: 04-03-2022 18:59 by simoncn.)
(04-03-2022 17:42)AnnieBody Wrote:  So what would be the 'best' folder for this file?
Under MinimServer\opt\bin?
Should I also move the ffmpeg folder too as they are both sub-directories?

The files under AppData\Roaming\MinimServer are either created by MinimServer or used by MinimServer in specific ways. User files such as your music library and your convolution files should ideally be placed somewhere (anywhere) else.

The ffmpeg.exe file should be placed directly in the MinimServer\opt\bin folder because this is the place that MinimServer looks for it by default (if there is no stream.converter setting). MinimServer does not use any other files from the FFmpeg distribution.

Quote:1. If I want to use the convolver file for all tracks played, is there a *.* equivalent option to use in the 'stream.transcode' settings or will I have to include an option for every music format streamed?

There is no *.* setting to do this. You should use flac:wav, mp3:wav, mp4:wav, etc. There is a *:wav setting but this is for network streams only.
07-03-2022, 18:11 (This post was last modified: 07-03-2022 18:12 by AnnieBody.)
stefano_mbp stated:
"you can use different profiles to manage different configurations"

I read up and installed MinimWatch in order to setup the 'mscript.cmd' file, but the icon remains grey. The help file instructions are confusing me!
"MinimWatch will display a tray icon for each MinimServer instance running on another computer". What about the same computer?

It would appear that in order to use 'profiles' I will need to update the 'msscript.cmd' instructions which I can't do unless I have MinimWatch installed which won't work properly as I already have MinimServer installed on the same PC.

1. So what do I have to do in order to be able to setup a profile?

2. How do I go about creating a profile with a name that can be used?

3. How do I then switch between profiles?
07-03-2022, 18:15
You should open in your browser the page where you set up the license code
ip-address:9790
and select the Profile tab

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

07-03-2022, 18:23 (This post was last modified: 07-03-2022 18:26 by Alandbush.)
(07-03-2022 18:11)AnnieBody Wrote:  1. So what do I have to do in order to be able to setup a profile?

2. How do I go about creating a profile with a name that can be used?

3. How do I then switch between profiles?

Minimwatch is not a prerequisite to create/switch profiles, but it does enable more adjustments.

All three points above should be answered by the following link.

QuickStart for Windows

Page down to the section 'Creating and selecting a custom browsing profile'

Also useful, is the section 'Using the MinimServer 2 configuration web page'