Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minim wishlist
21-04-2015, 17:19
RE: Minim wishlist
(21-04-2015 16:26)tboooe Wrote:  Can you go into more detail about how the performance of the server will be compromised? Are you talking about sonic compromises?

As I understand it, it's about bandwidth and the speed of operations such as indexing across a network connection, but Simon would be able to give a more authoritative view. I don't think that sound quality as such would be an issue, but, as in any system with insufficient capacity, there are circumstances where dropouts could occur.

(21-04-2015 16:26)tboooe Wrote:  I have MinimServer running on an old ATOM 525 PC with transcoding at it works great. Unfortunately for me I cant even test MinimServer on my NAS since I have a really old Thecus N4100Pro. I know I need to upgrade but the Thecus still does its job and I am able to stream 1080p movies just fine with it.

I am always surprised how little processing power and RAM MinimServer needs to do its job. You will have seen descriptions on this forum of how well it runs on a Rasberry Pi, for instance. What you don't want is a TCP/IP connection between the media files and the server software, though, as in the case of the Pi, a USB2 connection seems to be fine.

If you get a new NAS capable of running MinimServer, you can perhaps keep the Thecus in your network, and it can continue to do what it does well for you.

David
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
21-04-2015, 21:17
RE: Minim wishlist
(21-04-2015 16:26)tboooe Wrote:  Thank you! Can you go into more detail about how the performance of the server will be compromised? Are you talking about sonic compromises?

The SMB/CIFS protocol for network file access adds a large overhead to MinimServer scanning performance. This might be related to the way Java implements directory scanning and file I/O. There should be no effect on sound quality when playing a file.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply