Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minim wishlist
25-06-2013, 00:21
RE: Minim wishlist
(24-06-2013 23:20)Alekz Wrote:  I always transcode to WAV, but I read some reports about FLAC as well. But I bet it was Windows with antivirus and other processes with sporadic activity.

Thanks for all this information. It would be helpful if you could confirm whether the problem is specifically associated with on-the-fly WAV transcoding by MinimServer, or whether the problem can also occur if the identical WAV stream is played directly from a disk file without transcoding.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
25-06-2013, 00:26
(24-06-2013 23:26)simoncn Wrote:  
(24-06-2013 22:55)Alekz Wrote:  It should not be a complete album, even individual tracks will work gaplessly using this method, because it's the server that will see and "concatenate" separate tracks, not the renderer.

This is the part that I don't understand. If the server is presenting separate tracks to the control point, the renderer will send a separate GET request for each track and the server will return only the audio data for that track.

For example, if track 1 has duration 3 minutes and track 2 has duration 5 minutes, the renderer's request for track 1 will return 3 minutes of audio data, not 8 minutes.

Maybe Alekz means something as "creating an open home renderer"
on the server like bubble server does.
I read in other forums that the bubble solution doesn't provide gapless playing. But I assume it should be possible to create something like that with gapless playback.
It would be something like a serverside dynamic playlist that is controlled by a upnp controlpoint (instead of the renderer), while the renderer is forced to play exclusively and only this playlist.
The main advantage would be that you can shut down the CP
once the Playlist is filled.
25-06-2013, 09:57
(25-06-2013 00:26)Oliviander Wrote:  Maybe Alekz means something as "creating an open home renderer"
on the server like bubble server does.
I read in other forums that the bubble solution doesn't provide gapless playing. But I assume it should be possible to create something like that with gapless playback.
It would be something like a serverside dynamic playlist that is controlled by a upnp controlpoint (instead of the renderer), while the renderer is forced to play exclusively and only this playlist.
The main advantage would be that you can shut down the CP
once the Playlist is filled.

I don't think this would work with a standard UPnP control point and renderer.
25-06-2013, 10:11
(25-06-2013 00:26)Oliviander Wrote:  I read in other forums that the bubble solution doesn't provide gapless playing. But I assume it should be possible to create something like that with gapless playback.

Correct it doesn't. It could technically be done somewhat although this is very not trivial at all. And it would of course require a control point able to manage OpenHome renderers (Linn Kinsky, BubbleUPnP, iOS Linn control points).

The only way to partially address gapless at the Media Server level for non-gapless renderers with regular UPnP AV, is what Simon mentionned: the Media Server presents an album as a single track. Control Points will not have separate track info available, it only knows it plays an album.
Seeking will seek in the whole album.

The other solution for gapless is playing music on a PC with any music player capable of gapless and capturing audio with software able to send it to a renderer, like Asset UPnP, Jamcast or "Stream What You Hear".
25-06-2013, 13:13
OK, now *I* begin to understand Wink What does a UPnP controller actually controls? Does it tell the renderer what to pull from the server, or does it tell the server what to push to the renderer?

In eLyrics you basically choose the first track, and the whole album will be played beginning with this track.

In the VirtualCard you control the playing program (e.g. Foobar or JRiver) and the VirtualCard creates this single connection to the renderer and streams whatever I chose in the player.
25-06-2013, 14:54
(25-06-2013 13:13)Alekz Wrote:  OK, now *I* begin to understand Wink What does a UPnP controller actually controls? Does it tell the renderer what to pull from the server, or does it tell the server what to push to the renderer?

In eLyrics you basically choose the first track, and the whole album will be played beginning with this track.

In the VirtualCard you control the playing program (e.g. Foobar or JRiver) and the VirtualCard creates this single connection to the renderer and streams whatever I chose in the player.

In standard UPnP AV, it goes like this:

1) The control point tells the renderer to play a track
2) The renderer streams the track from the server and plays it
3) The renderer tells the control point that the track has finished
4) The control point tells the renderer to play the next track
5) The renderer streams the next track from the server and plays it
6) etc.

This requires the control point to be on all the time (for steps 3/4) and also causes gaps because of the inevitable delay between the end of step 2 and the start of step 5.

Linn has developed the OpenHome extension to UPnP AV, which allows a playlist to be stored on the renderer. With an OpenHome renderer that supports gapless playback, it goes like this:

1) The control point sends the playlist to the renderer
2) The control point tells the renderer to play the playlist
3) The renderer streams the first track from the server and plays it
4) Shortly before the track finishes playing, the renderer starts to stream the next track from the server
5) When the track has finished playing, the renderer starts playing the next track which by now has already started to fill the renderer's buffer
6) etc.

This gives the renderer the opportunity to join the tracks gaplessly as part of step 4. It also doesn't require the control point to be on after step 1.

There is another way for a UPnP AV renderer to play gaplessly if the renderer and control point both support the optional SetNextAVTransportURI action. With this support, it goes like this:

1) The control point tells the renderer to play a track
2) The renderer streams the track from the server and plays it
3) While the track is playing, the control point tells the renderer which track to start playing next
4) Shortly before the track finishes playing, the renderer starts to stream the next track from the server
5) When the track has finished playing, the renderer starts playing the next track which by now has already started to fill the renderer's buffer
6) etc.

You will notice that with all these schemes, the server just responds to streaming requests for tracks as and when they are received from the renderer.
25-06-2013, 20:00
I already posted this in another thread but then I realized this is the wish-list thread.

The media server from Synology is crap but one feature stands out. And that is that you can define automatic playlists based on when an album was added to the music directory. You can create multiple playlists for the amount of days.
For example, I have 3 playlists:
- recently added (7 days);
- recently added (2 weeks);
- recently added (2 months).

I hope this will be added to a future release :-) because then I can disable the Synology Mediaserver forever. Thanks!
25-06-2013, 20:52
I am sure there is no reason to re-post in this thread . pretty sure Simon keeps good track of the desired features Wink
25-06-2013, 21:31
(25-06-2013 20:52)bbrip Wrote:  I am sure there is no reason to re-post in this thread . pretty sure Simon keeps good track of the desired features Wink

+1. Duplicate posting isn't a good idea. If you think you've posted something to the wrong thread, please remove the original post when you repost to a different thread. If the post is relevant to multiple threads, you can add a post to another thread containing a link to your original post.
25-06-2013, 22:03
(25-06-2013 21:31)simoncn Wrote:  
(25-06-2013 20:52)bbrip Wrote:  I am sure there is no reason to re-post in this thread . pretty sure Simon keeps good track of the desired features Wink

+1. Duplicate posting isn't a good idea. If you think you've posted something to the wrong thread, please remove the original post when you repost to a different thread. If the post is relevant to multiple threads, you can add a post to another thread containing a link to your original post.

Okay. Deleted the original post. Thanks.