Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minim wishlist
08-06-2013, 16:45
Minim wishlist
Thanks again, Simon, for all your work; I use Minim everyday! I know you are investigating adding a search capability and the ability to view PDF booklets; I would add +1 to those.

I have one other wish, which may not be possible within the limits of the UPNP structure (at least without rewriting a control point); if so, just let me know. Normally I use PS Audio's eLyric controller to run Minim on my Synology, and I don't have a computer in the listening room. On occasion, however, I do use Foobar2000 on my Win laptop and have discovered one incredibly useful feature in Foobar that I wish I could have in my regular setup. In Foobar you can right-click on a file and choose Properties. A box pops up with two tabs, one of which shows all the metadata associated with the file and the other shows the OS properties (file location, etc.). See the attached screenshot.

Just to give a couple of examples of how I use this:
1) I spot a taging error and need to find out where the file is stored so I can fix it.
2) While listening I wonder "what resolution is this file?" or "who's the soloist on this concerto?" or other such questions. The answers to these are available in my metadata and it's neat to get the info without stopping playback.

Best wishes,
David

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-06-2013, 17:10
RE: Minim wishlist
(08-06-2013 16:45)magister Wrote:  Thanks again, Simon, for all your work; I use Minim everyday! I know you are investigating adding a search capability and the ability to view PDF booklets; I would add +1 to those.

I have one other wish, which may not be possible within the limits of the UPNP structure (at least without rewriting a control point); if so, just let me know. Normally I use PS Audio's eLyric controller to run Minim on my Synology, and I don't have a computer in the listening room. On occasion, however, I do use Foobar2000 on my Win laptop and have discovered one incredibly useful feature in Foobar that I wish I could have in my regular setup. In Foobar you can right-click on a file and choose Properties. A box pops up with two tabs, one of which shows all the metadata associated with the file and the other shows the OS properties (file location, etc.). See the attached screenshot.

Just to give a couple of examples of how I use this:
1) I spot a taging error and need to find out where the file is stored so I can fix it.
2) While listening I wonder "what resolution is this file?" or "who's the soloist on this concerto?" or other such questions. The answers to these are available in my metadata and it's neat to get the info without stopping playback.

Best wishes,
David

You can do this with MinimServer if you use Linn Kinsky for Windows as the control point. This allows you to right-click on any album or track and select 'Details' to see all the metadata.
08-06-2013, 17:49
(08-06-2013 17:10)simoncn Wrote:  You can do this with MinimServer if you use Linn Kinsky for Windows as the control point. This allows you to right-click on any album or track and select 'Details' to see all the metadata.

Thanks, Simon. That's good to know for folks who use a computer, which I try to avoid. I can't find an equivalent on the Kinsky iPad app (holding a finger on a title brings up a box with playlist options).

David
08-06-2013, 18:50
(08-06-2013 17:49)magister Wrote:  Thanks, Simon. That's good to know for folks who use a computer, which I try to avoid. I can't find an equivalent on the Kinsky iPad app (holding a finger on a title brings up a box with playlist options).

David

As far as I know, the Windows version of Kinsky is the only version with this capability.

It's up to the control point to provide this facility, not the server. You could ask Linn if they would be willing to add it to the iPad version of Kinsky.
16-06-2013, 23:34
^ It would be nice if the "info" button on the Oppo did this as well Smile
17-06-2013, 08:48
(16-06-2013 23:34)wappinghigh Wrote:  ^ It would be nice if the "info" button on the Oppo did this as well Smile

Have you asked OPPO about supporting this? MinimServer is already sending all the relevant information.
17-06-2013, 09:20 (This post was last modified: 17-06-2013 09:20 by whgmkeller.)
Simon,

Any chance that you you can / want to give us some insight in the Minimserver development roadmap? It would be great if you could share what you are working on for the coming versions.

Also, maybe we shuld make this pos a "sticky" :-)

Greetz, Willem
17-06-2013, 12:56
(17-06-2013 09:20)whgmkeller Wrote:  Simon,

Any chance that you you can / want to give us some insight in the Minimserver development roadmap? It would be great if you could share what you are working on for the coming versions.

Also, maybe we shuld make this pos a "sticky" :-)

Greetz, Willem

The roadmap is deliberately flexible so that I can react to user bug reports and feature requests as they arise. Also, I'm very reluctant to be specific about what might be coming and when it might come because this would create expectations that I might not be able to achieve. This is because some planned new features might seem simple at first sight but actually turn out to be much more difficult than expected. Also, I sometimes implement a new feature and decide that I don't like the result or that a different approach would be better.

When I am confident about doing something in the next release, I post that here. For other things that I would like to do at some point, I usually say that I hope to provide them in a future release. This isn't exactly a roadmap, but it gives some idea about what features might be added in the future.
17-06-2013, 23:58
I think you are doing an awesome job. If this little piece of software isn't the most exciting thing to happen to music playback I'll be daft if anybody can point to me what is....
23-06-2013, 13:50 (This post was last modified: 23-06-2013 13:58 by Alekz.)
Since the thread is called "wish list"... Wink What about ....

o- Variable transcoding buffer?

Many transcoding programs (e.g. sox, JRiver) have this capability that in some cases affects sound quality. The bigger the buffer the less chance the stream becomes "shallow" (also, think of, for example, skips), but the bigger the first delay.

o- One single connection to support gapless playback for devices that do not support gapless "by default" (e.g. PS Audio PerfectWave DAC)?

If several tracks of the same resolution are chosen, create only one connection and stream all files through it. It should look like "concatenation" and feeding through a pipe. E.g. in a "metalanguage":

cat f1 f2 f3 f4 | decode | stream

o- APE (MonkeyAudio) and WV support?

o- CUE support?

o- Simple Web-GUI?

In this case you will not need a UPnP control point, so you can play/control from virtually any device with a web-browser.