Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Two Artist Albums
04-01-2022, 10:37
RE: Two Artist Albums
(03-01-2022 22:09)Peter StreamMagic Wrote:  Inspired by this thread and having had some comments from some of my friends (why is Zappa under the F from Frank?) I tried to get Artist Sort to work.
I can not get it to work.
The only way was to add ArtistSort to Index and use ReverseName.
Problem is then ArtistArt does not show up and an extra entry in Index is not what I really want.

So the question is how to use ArtistSort as discribed in this thread (for both single and multiple artists)?

Are you saying tagValue: Artist.value.sort={ArtistSort} isn't working for you?

@simoncn In the documentation the following example is given:
Artist.value.sort={ArtistSort}, AlbumArtist.value.sort={ArtistSort}
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-01-2022, 10:49 (This post was last modified: 04-01-2022 10:52 by Peter StreamMagic.)
[

Are you saying tagValue: Artist.value.sort={ArtistSort} isn't working for you?

@simoncn In the documentation the following example is given:

That is what I tried.
I copied and pasted these lines from the documentation.
I will try this again this evening, maybe made a wrong selection and something is missing?
04-01-2022, 11:23
(04-01-2022 10:49)Peter StreamMagic Wrote:  Artist.value.sort={ArtistSort}, AlbumArtist.value.sort={ArtistSort}

That is what I tried.

Just in case you copied and pasted those exact lines, the AlbumArtist line is incorrect, it should read AlbumArtistSort not ArtistSort.

Other than that as long as the Sort tags are populated and you have them referenced in itemTags that's all you should need.
04-01-2022, 12:02
(04-01-2022 11:23)simbun Wrote:  
(04-01-2022 10:49)Peter StreamMagic Wrote:  Artist.value.sort={ArtistSort}, AlbumArtist.value.sort={ArtistSort}

That is what I tried.

Just in case you copied and pasted those exact lines, the AlbumArtist line is incorrect, it should read AlbumArtistSort not ArtistSort.

Other than that as long as the Sort tags are populated and you have them referenced in itemTags that's all you should need.
I first copied and pasted the complete line but later on realized I don't need
AlbumArtistSort en tried Artist.value.sort={ArtistSort}.
I did add ArtistSort to itemTags.
I will try again the evening.
04-01-2022, 20:58
(04-01-2022 10:37)simbun Wrote:  @simoncn In the documentation the following example is given:

This is intentional. The section containing this is about Artist index sorting. The Artist index can contain a mixture of Artist tags and AlbumArtist tags. To ensure the Artist index is consistent when an artist is tagged as both Artist and AlbumArtist, the Artist and AlbumArtist tags for this artist need to have the same sort value.
04-01-2022, 22:50
(04-01-2022 20:58)simoncn Wrote:  
(04-01-2022 10:37)simbun Wrote:  @simoncn In the documentation the following example is given:

This is intentional. The section containing this is about Artist index sorting. The Artist index can contain a mixture of Artist tags and AlbumArtist tags.
A short while after I'd posted, I did go and check that section and realised at that point that it was intentional, but at the time I just couldn't get my head around why.

(04-01-2022 20:58)simoncn Wrote:  To ensure the Artist index is consistent when an artist is tagged as both Artist and AlbumArtist, the Artist and AlbumArtist tags for this artist need to have the same sort value.
Wouldn't that be the norm though? Is there a reason why you'd have a different sort order for an artist depending on whether he's the album artist or artist? Apologies if I'm missing something here, and I'm half expecting the reply to start with 'With classical music...'.

I suppose at the very least it depends on how you tag your files, as for me (I always populate Album Artist and AlbumArtistSort tags) that setup is wrong, and it'll return an incorrect sort order and notes in the log. Having said that, I assume that if the first track your code encounters for an Album Artist has that artist as the main artist (the first Artist) then the sort value will be appropriate, otherwise it will be wrong, with 'Various Artists' always being wrong.

I guess I was just surprised that there was no mention of AlbumArtistSort. I also realise that if you tried to document every option and implication of how every feature was used you'd probably still be writing it, and no one would read it :-)
05-01-2022, 00:05
(04-01-2022 12:02)Peter StreamMagic Wrote:  
(04-01-2022 11:23)simbun Wrote:  

That is what I tried.

I first copied and pasted the complete line but later on realized I don't need
AlbumArtistSort en tried Artist.value.sort={ArtistSort}.
I did add ArtistSort to itemTags.
I will try again the evening.
Problem was caused by a space ArtistSort vs. Artist Sort (DBpoweramp notation)
05-01-2022, 11:03 (This post was last modified: 05-01-2022 11:50 by simoncn.)
(04-01-2022 22:50)simbun Wrote:  Wouldn't that be the norm though? Is there a reason why you'd have a different sort order for an artist depending on whether he's the album artist or artist? Apologies if I'm missing something here, and I'm half expecting the reply to start with 'With classical music...'.

I can't think of any situation where the sort value for an artist tagged as Artist would be dfferent from the sort value for the same artist tagged as AlbumArtist.

Quote:I guess I was just surprised that there was no mention of AlbumArtistSort. I also realise that if you tried to document every option and implication of how every feature was used you'd probably still be writing it, and no one would read it :-)

The advice in the user guide is intended to handle the most common cases for most users. Many users have ArtistSort tags and would expect the setting Artist.value.sort={ArtistSort} to sort the artist index correctly. They are then surprised to find some artists out of order. Eventually, they discover (probably after posting to the forum) that this is because some entries in the Artist index are for AlbumArtist tags. The advice in the user guide is intended to avoid this problem without requiring the user to have correctly populated AlbumArtistSort tags in all their files.

You are right that this doesn't work correctly in all cases, as you have described. I have added a Note at the end of the section explaining what to do in these cases.
05-01-2022, 15:37 (This post was last modified: 05-01-2022 20:05 by Peter StreamMagic.)
Problem was caused by a space ArtistSort vs. Artist Sort (DBpoweramp notation)

Although ArtistSort if working fine now,the alphabetic index at the right side of the screen in Kazoo doesn't show up any more.
Anyone recognising, and know how to solve this?
05-01-2022, 16:04
Kazoo only shows this index if the list is in alphabetical order.