Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Network transfer speed slow when MinimServer is running
18-12-2021, 14:00
Network transfer speed slow when MinimServer is running
I run MinimServer Starter Edition 2.1 on a still going strong DS211 (latest DSM 6.2.4v2). When MS is running I get file transfer speeds of about 25Mb/s (DS to a Windows PC M2 disk ). When I stop MS from the Package Center, the speed is about 70Mb/s. Stop from MinimWatch does not make any difference, still slow.

I checked all there is to be checked as far as the network is concerned before I started shutting down packages.

I am at a loss as how to solve this. Any advise?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
18-12-2021, 14:07
RE: Network transfer speed slow when MinimServer is running
was it a fresh installation of minimserver and the indexing was still running? Maybe you simply have to wait until it has finished. Or you are having not enough memory free? Check the system monitor of the NAS!

Gert
18-12-2021, 17:13 (This post was last modified: 19-12-2021 10:18 by ElfjeTwaalfje.)
It was an update to 2.1 which means manual install. I did the update hoping it would solve the issue, meaning I had the same issue with the previous version. I waited until all settled down. Anyhow I did the test again. I ran below scenarios twice. What surprised me was that CPU was much higher at full speed (MinimServer off).

Edit: I also toggled Synology Media Server on/off. No effect on speed, always fast.

Stable means:
CPU 30% (likely due to monitor)
Mem 36 stopped, 51 running
Network few bytes/s
Disk 0%
Volume 100%
Shortly after MS startup clearly increased CPU and Disk.

With MS running, waited till all stabilized, then during transfer:
CPU 30-50
Mem 50
Network 25-30Mb/s
Disk 20-40
Volume 100

With MS stopped, waited till all stabilized, then during transfer:
CPU 90
Disk 30-40
Mem 36
Volume 100
Network 70, spikes up to 85
23-12-2021, 13:14
I tried this on my DS211 and and I got very similar numbers with MinimServer running and MinimServer stopped (44 MB/s with MinimServer running and 45 MB/s with MinimServer stopped). In both cases, CPU was about 93% average.