Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Synology
28-05-2013, 17:43 (This post was last modified: 28-05-2013 18:03 by mbovaird.)
Synology
First of all, Simon, thank you for all your efforts and hard work and giving us an option!

Second, ok, I'm stuck. I have followed everything to a tee. At first, my Marantz NA11S1 could see the minimserver, all the albums, artists, etc., but nothing would play. I've since gone in and played with the properties/settings and I think I may have messed up the path of the directory where the files are and now I can't get it back. It just keeps saying it is invalid directory. I tried both "/" and "\", but I don't know the paths. I tried /volume1/music and other things. Still get the error.

I have the Synology 1812+ NAS and both a Mc and Windows PC.

Any thoughts?

Mike
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
28-05-2013, 18:25 (This post was last modified: 28-05-2013 18:55 by simoncn.)
RE: Synology
(28-05-2013 17:43)mbovaird Wrote:  First of all, Simon, thank you for all your efforts and hard work and giving us an option!

Second, ok, I'm stuck. I have followed everything to a tee. At first, my Marantz NA11S1 could see the minimserver, all the albums, artists, etc., but nothing would play. I've since gone in and played with the properties/settings and I think I may have messed up the path of the directory where the files are and now I can't get it back. It just keeps saying it is invalid directory. I tried both "/" and "\", but I don't know the paths. I tried /volume1/music and other things. Still get the error.

I have the Synology 1812+ NAS and both a Mc and Windows PC.

Any thoughts?

Mike

Edit: My earlier response wasn't helpful, as there is no file chooser dialog when you're installing MinimServer on a Synology. You need to use a path with forward slashes (/). The simplest solution is probably to uninstall MinimServer and reinstall it, then make a careful note of the directory that was selected by the installation package.

I'm not sure why nothing would play on the Marantz. As a first step, try applying the ohnet.subnet setting as described in this post. If this doesn't solve the problem, I'll suggest further debugging steps.
28-05-2013, 19:07
Still no luck. My NAS is on 192.168.1.x. So I put the ohnet.subnet at 192.168.1.0 (I'm assuming that was right??). I then launch minimwatch and it tries to launch minimserver on my Windows PC (but not the NAS). It just stays yellow and says "starting"....but nothing really happens.
28-05-2013, 19:24
(28-05-2013 19:07)mbovaird Wrote:  Still no luck. My NAS is on 192.168.1.x. So I put the ohnet.subnet at 192.168.1.0 (I'm assuming that was right??). I then launch minimwatch and it tries to launch minimserver on my Windows PC (but not the NAS). It just stays yellow and says "starting"....but nothing really happens.

Which machine are you using to run MinimWatch?

MinimWatch doesn't launch MinimServer. It shows you the status of a running instance of MinimServer. If it shows you a yellow icon, this means there is a MinimServer instance on your network that has been launched (by something else) but isn't yet completely started.

If you have a large library, the initial startup can take quite a long time (perhaps a few minutes) because MinimServer is reading all the files in your library. If MinimServer is reading these files across the network (for example, if MinimServer is running on Windows and accessing audio files on a NAS), the startup time could be 10x greater than with local files.

Putting all this together, it sounds like you have a running instance of MinimServer on the PC that's doing a lengthy startup because it's reading audio files from the NAS. To confirm this, you can select 'Show log' from the yellow icon and set the logging level to Verbose.
28-05-2013, 21:59
Hi Simon - I'm running it all on the Windows PC. I well over 2500 albums.

Mike
28-05-2013, 22:19
(28-05-2013 21:59)mbovaird Wrote:  Hi Simon - I'm running it all on the Windows PC. I well over 2500 albums.

Mike

If you run MinimWatch on a Windows PC, it won't show a minim icon for a MinimServer instance running on the same Windows PC. This is because MinimServer creates a minim icon in the system tray, so there's no need for MinimWatch to create a duplicate copy of the icon.

If you start MinimServer on the Windows PC (without running MinimWatch), do you see a minim icon? This icon should start as yellow and change to green after a few minutes. If you want to see your startup progress in more detail, you can select 'Show log' from the minim icon and change the logging level to Verbose. This should show you all the directory names that MinimServer is scanning.

Is all this working corrrectly as described above? If not, please explain exactly what's happening.
28-05-2013, 23:44
(28-05-2013 22:19)simoncn Wrote:  
(28-05-2013 21:59)mbovaird Wrote:  Hi Simon - I'm running it all on the Windows PC. I well over 2500 albums.

Mike

If you run MinimWatch on a Windows PC, it won't show a minim icon for a MinimServer instance running on the same Windows PC. This is because MinimServer creates a minim icon in the system tray, so there's no need for MinimWatch to create a duplicate copy of the icon.

If you start MinimServer on the Windows PC (without running MinimWatch), do you see a minim icon? This icon should start as yellow and change to green after a few minutes. If you want to see your startup progress in more detail, you can select 'Show log' from the minim icon and change the logging level to Verbose. This should show you all the directory names that MinimServer is scanning.

Is all this working corrrectly as described above? If not, please explain exactly what's happening.

Ok, I waited and it turned to green! Now my Marantz can see the minimserver. I see Albums, artists, etc. BUT, still no files play. Hmmmm....

Mike
29-05-2013, 08:03
(28-05-2013 23:44)mbovaird Wrote:  Ok, I waited and it turned to green! Now my Marantz can see the minimserver. I see Albums, artists, etc. BUT, still no files play. Hmmmm....

Mike

This is good progress. You will find that subsequent restarts are much quicker because of the cache that MinimServer uses for audio file data.

The next step is to find out what's causing the problem with the Marantz.

What file types are you unable to play on the Marantz (e.g., FLAC, MP3, MP4, AIFF, ALAC)?

Does your PC have multiple active network adapters on different subnets?

Please create a trace log by doing the following:

1) Power off the Marantz
2) From the minim icon, change the logging level to Trace
3) Power on the Marantz and browse to an audio file
4) Attempt to play the audio file
5) From the minim icon, click 'Save as' to save the log file
6) From the minim icon, change the logging level back to Info
7) Zip the log file and attach it to a post here, together with the name of the file that failed to play

Thanks!
29-05-2013, 14:38
I don't know if it is related, but once in a while my files, all nicely visible in Kinsky, fail to play. Restarting Minimserver takes a minute or two, but then I can usually play my music without problems.

(I have a Linn DS and use both flac and aiff (in iTunes) all stored on a Synology NAS. I use Kinsky on a mac)
29-05-2013, 15:06
(29-05-2013 14:38)vithomme Wrote:  I don't know if it is related, but once in a while my files, all nicely visible in Kinsky, fail to play. Restarting Minimserver takes a minute or two, but then I can usually play my music without problems.

(I have a Linn DS and use both flac and aiff (in iTunes) all stored on a Synology NAS. I use Kinsky on a mac)

This doesn't sound like the same problem. Do you have a Synology with two LAN ports? If so, you should set the ohnet.subnet property as described in this post.