Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minimserver compatible replacement for two Sonos Play 5s.
01-01-2022, 13:31
RE: Minimserver compatible replacement for two Sonos Play 5s.
(31-12-2021 18:51)simbun Wrote:  I have a few Sonos speakers in an S2 system and haven't been forced to update yet. In an S1 system I believe the only updates you'll receive now are security updates, which shouldn't be very often and are quite important so you'll need to check in from time to time.

Oh, that's a shame as my problem with Sonos updates will get me again.

(31-12-2021 18:51)simbun Wrote:  If your speakers natively support the radio station you can simply create a playlist file, which is just a text file with a m3u extension, place it somewhere within your content directory and you'll be able to select a stream from the '[n] playlists' index item that will appear in the MinimServer browse tree.

Sorry to be thick, I'm really not understanding where/what you mean by
"from the '[n] playlists' index item that will appear in the MinimServer browse tree."

I have a folder called playlists on the NAS with playlists in it and that appears in minimserver like the classical folder and the Rock folder but I'm unaware of this tree?
(31-12-2021 18:51)simbun Wrote:  Here's one I've configured for the BBC streams that work natively with Sonos:
[code]#EXTM3U
Thanks for that information - more knowledge is good but unfortunately I'm not a BBC fan - sorry. I would be interested in ClassicFM, Virgin Radio, talkRadio and others, are they available?
(31-12-2021 18:51)simbun Wrote:  If you add additional streams and they don't play directly you'll need MinimStreamer to convert them on the fly for you (or BubbleUPnP server might transcode them for you depending on how you've configured it).
Not without someone telling me what to do. No chance what so ever of me understanding those instructions.
(31-12-2021 18:51)simbun Wrote:  You can also add them directly to BubbleUPnP by:
Go to the playlist tab, click on the three vertical dots at the top right of the screen and select 'How to add Internet Radio'.
I've looked everywhere I can think of for the playlist tab can't find it. What application is this in?

Thanks.
Bob.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-01-2022, 14:21
(01-01-2022 13:31)mightyoakbob Wrote:  
(31-12-2021 18:51)simbun Wrote:  I have a few Sonos speakers in an S2 system and haven't been forced to update yet. In an S1 system I believe the only updates you'll receive now are security updates, which shouldn't be very often and are quite important so you'll need to check in from time to time.

Oh, that's a shame as my problem with Sonos updates will get me again.
I'm not saying it'll force you to, I'm saying that you should want to go into the Sonos app from time to time to check for updates, as it could fix security vulnerabilities.

(31-12-2021 18:51)simbun Wrote:  If your speakers natively support the radio station you can simply create a playlist file, which is just a text file with a m3u extension, place it somewhere within your content directory and you'll be able to select a stream from the '[n] playlists' index item that will appear in the MinimServer browse tree.

Sorry to be thick, I'm really not understanding where/what you mean by
"from the '[n] playlists' index item that will appear in the MinimServer browse tree."

I have a folder called playlists on the NAS with playlists in it and that appears in minimserver like the classical folder and the Rock folder but I'm unaware of this tree?
When I say the browse tree, I'm referring to the MinimServer indexes that allow you to browse for your desired music.
You should have as the top indexes:
[n] albums
[n] items
[n] playlists
That's assuming you already have playlists served by MimimServer, otherwise that last item won't appear.

If you create the playlist I detailed in my previous response, call it 'Radio Stations.m3u', place it in your playlist folder (assuming it's somewhere under the MinimServer content directory path) and finally perform a MinimServer rescan, when you next click back into the playlists folder in your control point app you should see an item called 'Radio Stations', which when selected will allow you to choose a radio station to play.

(31-12-2021 18:51)simbun Wrote:  Here's one I've configured for the BBC streams that work natively with Sonos:
Thanks for that information - more knowledge is good but unfortunately I'm not a BBC fan - sorry. I would be interested in ClassicFM, Virgin Radio, talkRadio and others, are they available?
They were just examples so you could test the functionality. Others are available but you'd have to track down the stream URL's, and I don't know of a good source for that, maybe someone else can help?
A quick google suggests:
Code:
#EXTINF:-1, Classic FM
http://media-ice.musicradio.com/ClassicFMMP3

(31-12-2021 18:51)simbun Wrote:  You can also add them directly to BubbleUPnP by:
Go to the playlist tab, click on the three vertical dots at the top right of the screen and select 'How to add Internet Radio'.
I've looked everywhere I can think of for the playlist tab can't find it. What application is this in?
Sorry that's my bad, I'd forgotten that you use the Linn/Kazoo control points, I was referring to the BubbleUPnP control point, but that's only available on Android.

I'd try creating the 'Radio Station.m3u' I described previously and see if you can get them appearing and playing to Sonos, after that we can address anything else one step at a time.
01-01-2022, 14:51
(01-01-2022 14:21)simbun Wrote:  I'd try creating the 'Radio Station.m3u' I described previously and see if you can get them appearing and playing to Sonos, after that we can address anything else one step at a time.

Thank you so much. I'm starting to understand a bit more now. I'll need to have a play and i'll get back to you. Thanks again.

Bob.
03-01-2022, 20:04
(01-01-2022 14:21)simbun Wrote:  I'd try creating the 'Radio Station.m3u' I described previously and see if you can get them appearing and playing to Sonos, after that we can address anything else one step at a time.

Okay, I've been having a play. I created a playlist as you described and it seemed to work fine on both Sonos and Denon. I didn't try my Linn as I'm unlikely to want the radio on that.

Then I added more streams and found that some didn't work when called from Lumin but did work when called from Kazoo. I did some reading and found a mention of this in the Minimstreamer notes.

So as instructed I added [ClassicFM] into the description and [VirginRadio;aac] and [Smooth1;aac] into another etc. and at first this seemed to fix everything. Unfortunately, once you make this addition the stream stops after about 10 minutes every time, every station.

I'm very unsure but to me it looks like adding the [id] bit sends the stream via minimstreamer and I'm starting to think minimstreamer is stopping the stream after a few minutes.

Cant find any mention of this anywhere so I'm stumped at the moment.

Any ideas?

Bob.
03-01-2022, 21:31
Sorry to butt in here but could I ask a quick question. Are some of you using Minimserver to drive your Sonos through the Sonos App? I have enabled UPNP in my Sonos app but it does not show Minimserver and looking at (historical) posts it seems that Sonos does not support standard UPNP. I can use other software (I like HiFi cast on my Android phone) to play from Minimserver to the Sonos devices but it would be nice to close the loop with the Sonos app.
03-01-2022, 21:44
(03-01-2022 21:31)entdgc Wrote:  Sorry to butt in here but could I ask a quick question. Are some of you using Minimserver to drive your Sonos through the Sonos App? I have enabled UPNP in my Sonos app but it does not show Minimserver and looking at (historical) posts it seems that Sonos does not support standard UPNP. I can use other software (I like HiFi cast on my Android phone) to play from Minimserver to the Sonos devices but it would be nice to close the loop with the Sonos app.
Well I'm not trying to do that. I'm trying to make all my music players in the house use the same control point iPad software (Kazoo or Lumin) and the lovely single point indexing provided by Minimserver. I have that all working now including playing h-res 192K/24 on Sonos or as good as.

The bit i'm struggling with is radio streams where things are tricky.

Bob.
03-01-2022, 21:48
(03-01-2022 21:44)mightyoakbob Wrote:  I have that all working now including playing h-res 192K/24 on Sonos or as good as.

Thanks. So how did you achieve this? Did you use BubbleUPNP?
03-01-2022, 22:16 (This post was last modified: 03-01-2022 23:40 by simbun.)
(03-01-2022 21:31)entdgc Wrote:  Sorry to butt in here but could I ask a quick question. Are some of you using Minimserver to drive your Sonos through the Sonos App? I have enabled UPNP in my Sonos app but it does not show Minimserver and looking at (historical) posts it seems that Sonos does not support standard UPNP. I can use other software (I like HiFi cast on my Android phone) to play from Minimserver to the Sonos devices but it would be nice to close the loop with the Sonos app.
I believe the only UPnP server that Sonos "supports" is Plex. I tried it a little while ago now for my dad and, from memory, the integration wasn't great, and I wasn't going to install that behemoth just for serving music.

(03-01-2022 21:48)entdgc Wrote:  Thanks. So how did you achieve this? Did you use BubbleUPNP?
The Sonos speakers operate as UPnP renderers, so if you have a UPnP control point they should appear normally. By installing BubbleUPnP server and creating OpenHome proxies of the Sonos speakers you'll benefit from on renderer playlists (you don't need to leave your phone/tablet on) and be able to contol them from OpenHome control points.

One thing to bear in mind is that if you use them as UPnP renderers (play to them outside the native Sonos app) you lose the ability to group or use them as a stereo pair.
03-01-2022, 22:25 (This post was last modified: 03-01-2022 22:28 by simbun.)
(03-01-2022 20:04)mightyoakbob Wrote:  Then I added more streams and found that some didn't work when called from Lumin but did work when called from Kazoo. I did some reading and found a mention of this in the Minimstreamer notes.

So as instructed I added [ClassicFM] into the description and [VirginRadio;aac] and [Smooth1;aac] into another etc. and at first this seemed to fix everything. Unfortunately, once you make this addition the stream stops after about 10 minutes every time, every station.

I'm very unsure but to me it looks like adding the [id] bit sends the stream via minimstreamer and I'm starting to think minimstreamer is stopping the stream after a few minutes.
You're right, adding [id] to the definition forces the stream to go through MinimStreamer.

I don't have any apple devices so I'm unable to test the behaviour of these control points, but hopefully someone will be along to offer a hand.

One thing I would say is whilst you're trying to get to the bottom of the problem, make sure you have transcoding turned off in BubbleUPnP server just in case it's somehow interfering.

Could you post one or two of your problem playlist definitions?
03-01-2022, 22:30 (This post was last modified: 03-01-2022 22:30 by simoncn.)
You don't need [id] if you only want to set the stream type. For example, you can use [;aac] and the stream will not go through MinimStreamer.