Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DSD files and the Lumin Player
28-05-2013, 17:13
RE: DSD files and the Lumin Player
(28-05-2013 15:39)calloway Wrote:  
(28-05-2013 11:03)simoncn Wrote:  
(27-05-2013 22:37)calloway Wrote:  simon..yes..i do mean 'dff' files...sorry...this is the format that Channel Classics uses for their DSD albums...i am currently using both the elyric ipad app and the Kinsky app to for my control point..i am not using the EMM . i do also use an iMac computer..since Minim does not read 'dff' files this is probably the problem as to why the albums do not play.interesting that the first album did play in dsd after placing it on a flash drive and uploading it to my friend's PC with minim and the Elyric ipad app...anyway..is there a way around the fact that Minim will not play dff files that would allow me to play the dff files using Minim..??..i am trying to decide whether to buy the Lumin Player as it is very good...although probably no better then the PWD MKII ...in my system . if i can't use the DSD aspect it soesn't make it worth my while to buy it...thanks..dave

MinimServer does read and play .dff files. A number of people are using MinimServer with the LUMIN player to play these files.

MinimServer currently doesn't read tags from .dff files, so you'll need to use either [folder view] or [untagged] in the index to find and play your .dff files.

Simon..thanks..i will do that when i get home..dave
Simon..how and where do i make the change to 'folder view'..dave
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
28-05-2013, 22:10
(28-05-2013 17:13)calloway Wrote:  
(28-05-2013 15:39)calloway Wrote:  
(28-05-2013 11:03)simoncn Wrote:  
(27-05-2013 22:37)calloway Wrote:  simon..yes..i do mean 'dff' files...sorry...this is the format that Channel Classics uses for their DSD albums...i am currently using both the elyric ipad app and the Kinsky app to for my control point..i am not using the EMM . i do also use an iMac computer..since Minim does not read 'dff' files this is probably the problem as to why the albums do not play.interesting that the first album did play in dsd after placing it on a flash drive and uploading it to my friend's PC with minim and the Elyric ipad app...anyway..is there a way around the fact that Minim will not play dff files that would allow me to play the dff files using Minim..??..i am trying to decide whether to buy the Lumin Player as it is very good...although probably no better then the PWD MKII ...in my system . if i can't use the DSD aspect it soesn't make it worth my while to buy it...thanks..dave

MinimServer does read and play .dff files. A number of people are using MinimServer with the LUMIN player to play these files.

MinimServer currently doesn't read tags from .dff files, so you'll need to use either [folder view] or [untagged] in the index to find and play your .dff files.

Simon..thanks..i will do that when i get home..dave
Simon..how and where do i make the change to 'folder view'..dave
simon..i got it!!!..thanks for your help...it sounds great..dave
29-05-2013, 11:35
(28-05-2013 22:10)calloway Wrote:  simon..i got it!!!..thanks for your help...it sounds great..dave

I'm pleased to hear this is working for you now.

I downloaded a sample .dff file from Channel Classics. It doesn't contain any tags. The .dff format specification doesn't allow tags, so this is correct. Some programs use a nonstandard extension for adding tags to .dff files, but MinimServer doesn't support this nonstandard extension.

I'll contact Channel Classics and ask whether they have any future plans to add tags to DSD files.
29-05-2013, 15:07
(29-05-2013 11:35)simoncn Wrote:  
(28-05-2013 22:10)calloway Wrote:  simon..i got it!!!..thanks for your help...it sounds great..dave

I'm pleased to hear this is working for you now.

I downloaded a sample .dff file from Channel Classics. It doesn't contain any tags. The .dff format specification doesn't allow tags, so this is correct. Some programs use a nonstandard extension for adding tags to .dff files, but MinimServer doesn't support this nonstandard extension.

I'll contact Channel Classics and ask whether they have any future plans to add tags to DSD files.

Simon..thanks for your help..dave
29-05-2013, 17:07
(29-05-2013 15:07)calloway Wrote:  Simon..thanks for your help..dave

Your're very welcome!

I received a response from Channel Classics. They do plan to add tags to DSD downloads in the future.
24-06-2013, 05:19
(29-05-2013 17:07)simoncn Wrote:  
(29-05-2013 15:07)calloway Wrote:  Simon..thanks for your help..dave

Your're very welcome!

I received a response from Channel Classics. They do plan to add tags to DSD downloads in the future.
simon..i downloaded a Channel Classics dsd dff album tonight and , unlike the previous 2 , which did end up in my 'untagged' section of the minim server, this one has not shown up to this point. after downloading it it did show up in my download folder with the previous 2 albums..when i 'restarted' through the icon it did not populate the 'untagged' section...what am i doing wrong...sorry to be such a pest...
24-06-2013, 09:29
(24-06-2013 05:19)calloway Wrote:  simon..i downloaded a Channel Classics dsd dff album tonight and , unlike the previous 2 , which did end up in my 'untagged' section of the minim server, this one has not shown up to this point. after downloading it it did show up in my download folder with the previous 2 albums..when i 'restarted' through the icon it did not populate the 'untagged' section...what am i doing wrong...sorry to be such a pest...

Perhaps you copied the previous .dff files to another location under your content directory, and MinimServer is scanning that other location but isn't scanning your download folder.

Try using [folder view] instead of [untagged]. Do you see your download folder under [folder view]? (You might need to go down a few levels.) If you do see your download folder there, which .dff files does the download folder contain?
24-06-2013, 17:40
(24-06-2013 09:29)simoncn Wrote:  
(24-06-2013 05:19)calloway Wrote:  simon..i downloaded a Channel Classics dsd dff album tonight and , unlike the previous 2 , which did end up in my 'untagged' section of the minim server, this one has not shown up to this point. after downloading it it did show up in my download folder with the previous 2 albums..when i 'restarted' through the icon it did not populate the 'untagged' section...what am i doing wrong...sorry to be such a pest...

Perhaps you copied the previous .dff files to another location under your content directory, and MinimServer is scanning that other location but isn't scanning your download folder.

Try using [folder view] instead of [untagged]. Do you see your download folder under [folder view]? (You might need to go down a few levels.) If you do see your download folder there, which .dff files does the download folder contain?

Simon...what do you mean by 'go down a few levels'..?..
24-06-2013, 17:55
(24-06-2013 17:40)calloway Wrote:  Simon...what do you mean by 'go down a few levels'..?..

The folder view is organized as a hierachical tree. Suppose your content directory is a folder named Music which contains folders A and B, and folder A contains folders A1 and A2. The [folder view] selection will initially show you the content of the Music folder (A and B). To see the contents of the A folder, you need to select A (go down a level). This will show you A1 and A2. To see the contents of the A1 folder, you need to select A1 (go down another level).
24-06-2013, 23:25
(24-06-2013 17:55)simoncn Wrote:  
(24-06-2013 17:40)calloway Wrote:  Simon...what do you mean by 'go down a few levels'..?..

The folder view is organized as a hierachical tree. Suppose your content directory is a folder named Music which contains folders A and B, and folder A contains folders A1 and A2. The [folder view] selection will initially show you the content of the Music folder (A and B). To see the contents of the A folder, you need to select A (go down a level). This will show you A1 and A2. To see the contents of the A1 folder, you need to select A1 (go down another level).
Simon..what,exactly, are the steps i take after opening the zip dff files, with the icon, to place the album into my music so i can see it in my Kinsky app..?