Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minimserver not seen by Minimwatch and devices
26-10-2021, 17:03
Minimserver not seen by Minimwatch and devices
Hi
I have been using Minimserver without any problems for a long time until I had to disconnect my Router, PC, NAS etc for decorating the room. When things were put back together Minimserver was running normally on my NAS but Minimwatch and control points were not seeing Minimserver though it did sometimes appeared briefly on one control point. I have done everything I can think of including udating to Synology 7 and reinstalling Minimserver and followed the steps in Simon's guide about firewalls but the problems persist.
Current situation is my iPad is now finding Miimserver using the HEOS and Streamagic apps but Minimimwatch is still greyed out and my 2 TVs don't see it though they find my Denon and Marantz streamers on the network.

Minimwatch Log
MinimWatch 2.0.8 update 93, Copyright © 2012-2021 Simon Nash. All rights reserved.
Java™ SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_311-b11)
Java HotSpot™ 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.311-b11, mixed mode)
Platform default charset is windows-1252
System platform is windows-x64
Active subnet is 192.168.1.0
Startup complete

Any help would be much appreciated.
Regards
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
26-10-2021, 17:47
RE: Minimserver not seen by Minimwatch and devices
I speak with no deep knowledge but I would put an outside bet on it being a problem of addresses and the components in your home network are not talking to each other properly.
I would try rebooting the router - it may reallocate addresses better - and reboot the PC - or wait for an expert to come along.
I have found VPNs can obstruct things. If you use one, try switching it off your PC for testing purposes.

Hope this helps
Donuk beautiful downtown York
26-10-2021, 17:53
(26-10-2021 17:47)Donuk Wrote:  I speak with no deep knowledge but I would put an outside bet on it being a problem of addresses and the components in your home network are not talking to each other properly.
I would try rebooting the router - it may reallocate addresses better - and reboot the PC - or wait for an expert to come along.
I have found VPNs can obstruct things. If you use one, try switching it off your PC for testing purposes.

Hope this helps
Donuk beautiful downtown York

Thanks Donuk
You may well be right as I think disconnecting everything caused the router to assign a new ip address for the NAS. Networking is pretty much a mystery to me!
27-10-2021, 10:29
Changing the IP address of the NAS should not cause a problem like this. However, powering off everything related to audio and networking and powering it back on in the order described in this section would be a good first step.
27-10-2021, 18:10
(27-10-2021 10:29)simoncn Wrote:  Changing the IP address of the NAS should not cause a problem like this. However, powering off everything related to audio and networking and powering it back on in the order described in this section would be a good first step.

Thanks as always Simon.
There has been some progress. I followed the procedure and when everything was re-connected Minimwatch was green and Minimserver appeared stable on the Heos app. The Panasonic TV Media Server reported 'DNLA server not found...' so I went out to brush up leaves in the garden and didn't turn off the TV and when I came back it was working. However when I turned it off and on again same message...
Also when everything booted up my PC was stuck using wf-fi and I couldn't get the ethernet to connect and Microsoft reported 'a netwok cable is unplugged' which of course it wasn't. I clicked on reset adapters and booted up and ethernet was back but Minimwatch greyed out again.
I hope it makes sense to you, I'm afraid I'm baffled.
27-10-2021, 19:52
How are all these devices connected to the network? (wi-fi to router, wi-fi to access point, wired to router, wired to switch, etc.)

What router and/or switch(es) and/or wi-fi access point(s) do you have?
27-10-2021, 21:07
(27-10-2021 19:52)simoncn Wrote:  How are all these devices connected to the network? (wi-fi to router, wi-fi to access point, wired to router, wired to switch, etc.)

What router and/or switch(es) and/or wi-fi access point(s) do you have?

PC and NAS wired direct to Router in study upstairs, Denon streamer downstairs wired to router via a Tenda switch and TV in bedroom wired to power plug though cou;ld use wi-fi. ipad and iphone connected by wi-fi access point in same area as Denon.
Router is ee Smart Hub, access point is TP-link wi-fi extender and bedroom connection is TP-link power plug.
Sounds a bit complicated when I spell it out but it worked fine until recently.
28-10-2021, 11:25 (This post was last modified: 28-10-2021 11:27 by simoncn.)
Thanks for this. To diagnose which device is causing the problem, I suggest you start with a minimal setup and add devices one by one until the problem starts. At each step, go back and recheck everything from all previous steps.

Step 1: the router and devices attached to it by wired connections (NAS and PC)

Step 2: Denon renderer and Tenda switch (no wi-fi yet)

Step 3: either IPad or IPhone as control point. This requires starting your wireless access point. How does this access point connect to the router?

Step 4: TV using wi-fi

Step 5: TV using power plug
28-10-2021, 13:11
(27-10-2021 18:10)Nothung Wrote:  There has been some progress. I followed the procedure and when everything was re-connected Minimwatch was green and Minimserver appeared stable on the Heos app. The Panasonic TV Media Server reported 'DNLA server not found...' so I went out to brush up leaves in the garden and didn't turn off the TV and when I came back it was working. However when I turned it off and on again same message...
Also when everything booted up my PC was stuck using wf-fi and I couldn't get the ethernet to connect and Microsoft reported 'a netwok cable is unplugged' which of course it wasn't. I clicked on reset adapters and booted up and ethernet was back but Minimwatch greyed out again.

I note from above that WiFi enabled Minimwatch to work but switching to ethernet does not.

Could it simply be that WiFi is connected to a Private network and ethernet to a Public network?
28-10-2021, 18:28
(28-10-2021 11:25)simoncn Wrote:  Thanks for this. To diagnose which device is causing the problem, I suggest you start with a minimal setup and add devices one by one until the problem starts. At each step, go back and recheck everything from all previous steps.

Step 1: the router and devices attached to it by wired connections (NAS and PC)

Step 2: Denon renderer and Tenda switch (no wi-fi yet)

Step 3: either IPad or IPhone as control point. This requires starting your wireless access point. How does this access point connect to the router?

Step 4: TV using wi-fi

Step 5: TV using power plug

Step 1: Minimwatch grey
Step 2: Denon renderer connects and plays internet radio with no problems
Step 3: Heos app on iPad variable, sometimes sees Disk Station and Minimserver immediately, other times fails to find one or both. When doesn't connect there is a strong wi-fi signal and iPad/iPhone connects to the internet.
I don't have an access point it is a range extender and wi-fi signal is quite good.
Step 4: When open Media Server on TV there is sometimes a brief flash of Minimserver and then the message'DLNA server not found' appears if left for a while Minimserver may be listed.
Step 5: Same as step 4

In all cases when Minimserver connects the library can be browsed and music plays as normal.