Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Collections of Albums - What tag?
23-05-2013, 10:08 (This post was last modified: 23-05-2013 10:18 by audio_elf.)
Collections of Albums - What tag?
I have various (what I would call) collections of albums. I like to have them listed by verbose album title in the main list of albums but I also want to group them together.

At the moment I have created a new tag called "Collection" to group the collection together and a second tag called CollectionAlbum for a alternative sorting order.

So for example I download the Bowers and Wilkins Society of Sound albums so I have

Album "Bought For A Dollar, Sold For A Dime [B&W:1]"
Collection "Society of Sound"
CollectionAlbum "01 - Bought For A Dollar, Sold For A Dime"

Album "You Think You Have It All [B&W:2]"
Colelction "Society of Sound"
CollectionAlbum "02 - You Think You Have It All"

My real question is can anyone see any issue with this tagging method going forward? Are there any "offical" tags that people can see would achieve the same result?

And as a second question - can I get MinimServer to show "Collection Album Title" rather than the current "CollectionAlbum"? - Okay I worked out this bit! RTFM is a good idea!

Eloise
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
23-05-2013, 16:30
RE: Collections of Albums - What tag?
(23-05-2013 10:08)audio_elf Wrote:  I have various (what I would call) collections of albums. I like to have them listed by verbose album title in the main list of albums but I also want to group them together.

At the moment I have created a new tag called "Collection" to group the collection together and a second tag called CollectionAlbum for a alternative sorting order.

So for example I download the Bowers and Wilkins Society of Sound albums so I have

Album "Bought For A Dollar, Sold For A Dime [B&W:1]"
Collection "Society of Sound"
CollectionAlbum "01 - Bought For A Dollar, Sold For A Dime"

Album "You Think You Have It All [B&W:2]"
Colelction "Society of Sound"
CollectionAlbum "02 - You Think You Have It All"

My real question is can anyone see any issue with this tagging method going forward? Are there any "offical" tags that people can see would achieve the same result?

This sounds fine, except that you might not get exactly the sort order you expect when viewing a top-level list of all albums. For example, if you have Album.sortTags set to {CollectionAlbum, Album, Artist}, albums with a CollectionAlbum tag would be sorted to precede albums without this tag.

The only "official" tag that you could consider using is AlbumSort. In a future release of MinimServer, it will be possible to configure MinimServer to automatically use the AlbumSort value for album sorting if an AlbumSort tag is present, and use the Album value for album sorting if no AlbumSort tag is present.
30-05-2013, 15:53
RE: Collections of Albums - What tag?
Thanks